Tipping: Keeping Up With Inflation?

Tess of the Sea

What an ignourious nonsense. The US eat simple basic meals. Noone else. I feel sorry for your view of the world.

Enough already. Where did I say anything about the US. I said "the average people" and by that I mean the average people on Cunard ships. That is what we are talking about, RIGHT? And that is simple versus gourmet. You may well be the gourmet 7 nights a week....many of us are not.

Edited by brigittetom

Not all crew are Asian. And, as I stated a few months ago, a "good steak" is a very primitive way of preparing food and counts for just above a Big Mac. Good food is different to a charcoaled piece of beef.

I live in a harbour town and I see the crew shopping. It is mainly food, often convenience and chips and sweets and soft drinks.

Hmmm...Sorry but you need to read more carefully...I did not say all the crew were Asian. Quote- "a crew member from say an Asian or Latin American country". I am well aware that the crew come from all over the world just like the passengers.

The best waiter and stewardess we have had came from Romania and South Africa. However Asian countries are heavily represented in the crew make up on many cruise ships in both the service staff and maintenance workers. Though last time we were on Cunard the service crew was heavily Eastern European.

Of course, the crew are going to be seen shopping on shore for candy and chips and probably eating at the little shore side cafes. What other food items would they want. On long cruises we pick up chips and candy to have in the room and eat at the little cafés for a change just like to crew. Meals are provided for crew and the passengers so what is your point?

As for steak, or beef in general, it is not my food of choice....that was a in response to another person's comment. However, I do like a good French fry and McD has those. Others must agree, as I see the "golden arches" all over the world, even in Germany!:)

Different races have different standards.

As someone who has LIVED "lived out East' I KNOW that my idea of a "fine meal" would in fact "horrify " a resident of most Eastern countries. Many writers who have opinions of wages, food, and living conditions of the staff have never even visited the relevant countries , or have only done a day in port in such a country.

Instance when I visited local "middle class" families, it was usual to find they lived in just one room and open back verandah, with just a string bed ,a small low table, one chair, and two chests,- one for clothes and one FULL of GOLD in various forms. They cooked either over camel dung fires or paraffin stoves. The wife (wives) would be hung with gold chains, ear rings, nose rings, etc.

Just as their way of life was alien to me , so our way of life was alien to them. Things which are important to the passengers on Cunard, are not necessarily important to members of the crew. To each his own.

Different races have different standards.

Give me an idea of the various human races.

Or, better not.

Most ancestors of my family have been killed brutally 70 years ago just because we were considered a different race. And the difference was seen in a larger nose.

Edited by cunardaddict

Enough already. Where did I say anything about the US. I said "the average people" and by that I mean the average people on Cunard ships. That is what we are talking about, RIGHT? And that is simple versus gourmet. You may well be the gourmet 7 nights a week....many of us are not.

When I am on a cruise, I think of the foods in the buffet as simple, because I can pick up what I like from a huge selection. No pressure, no waiting, no ordering, just get some food and eat it.

Now, when I go to the sit down areas, the MDR or a restaurant on board the ship, then to me, that is gourmet. I sit down, I am dressed up, I get a cloth napkin, a wait staff member hands me a menu, I choose a meal and it is served. Now I cannot say that I think all the food served is gourmet by taste, because all chefs are not created equal. But comparing my home cooking to a meal on the ship, definitely the meal on the ship is GOURMET!!!!!

I remember the waiter on one of my first cruises (an older man) pointing out that we think the food on board is fantastic, but when you live and work on the ship you get very tired of it. The first place he goes on shore is McDonalds.

I cruise a lot but I don't much care for ship food either, except, of course, for Princess pizza. I suppose that is a good thing or else I would be uber fat instead of just a little zaftig.

Oddly, I tend to eat healthier on the ships. When I make a big effort at home, I want it to be something I love. When someone else does the work, I'm happy to settle for sensible. :)

I agree, except for the Princess pizza, which I limit pretty carefully. It is so easy to make a wonderful big salad in the buffet for lunch, which is my big meal of the day. We always go to dinner, but I really never eat much beyond some soup and a small salad.

Every 14 days 4 hours off. A great perspective - perfect at Brooklyn or any other place in the middle of nowhere or nowhere you wan't to be. Mostly spend at a doctor's of their choice because the on board medic always acts on behalf of the employer. A friend of is a dentist at So'ton. He knows it all.

No, it is anything but a nice way to earn your money. Some do really enjoy it because the love to be on a way though.

Docking at the Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn is hardly the "middle of nowhere". Sailing into the New York harbor, seeing the Statue of Liberty and the New York skyline is a thrill in itself for many - including this native born New Yorker. Even if you don't get off the ship, it is a unforgettable visual memory which many people never have the opportunity to experience.

But I agree, four hours in NY isn't much time...but anyone can take a short subway ride to lower Manhattan, catch the Staten Island Ferry (free both ways) and still have time to stock up on personal supplies and phone home.

I acknowledge that this is not an adequate compensation for crew members, but let's not minimize it either by saying docking in Brooklyn is "the middle of nowhere".

Salacia

Or, better not.

Most ancestors of my family have been killed brutally 70 years ago just because we were considered a different race. And the difference was seen in a larger nose.

Once I spoke only Cwmraeg, had to learn "the English " to survive as I was given away from family after family, had 4 "families" before age of 11. As a child I knew real hunger, and broken bones from beatings.

Cunardaddict I am 88 years of age almost 89, I lived in London before and during the war. I survived , my childhood, the bombings, the fires, the V1's , V2's, I have lived in different countries, different languages, with people of various colours and various religion, I learned to tolerate the differences, but when someone behaves badly to me, well then I do tend to forget to be "ladylike" so............... tread carefully you are treading on very thin ice. !!!!

Or, better not.

Please forgive me, but I don't understand. Brutally killed for having a larger nose? I don't understand...where and when did this horror happen?

Edited to add: my husband has a rather large nose, most like Prince Charles' nose. Lot's of people have large noses - who decided that's not attractive or even worse - worthy of a death sentence?

Edited by Salacia

Please forgive me, but I don't understand. Brutally killed for having a larger nose? I don't understand...where and when did this horror happen?

Edited to add: my husband has a rather large nose, most like Prince Charles' nose. Lot's of people have large noses - who decided that's not attractive or even worse - worthy of a death sentence?

I am a Jew. Got it now?

I am a Jew. Got it now?

Thank you for your response. Where I live, having a larger nose is no clue as to ethnicity or religion. Not that it matters here anyway, we just all try our best to get along in peace - and more often than not, it works.

I wish you a happy Rosh Hashanah. Please, pray for me, as I will thee.

Salacia

I really don't care how many hours the crew members work, how much time off they have, what and where they eat, or how much they earn. That is between Cunard and themselves. It is simply none of my business. As is how others choose to, or not, reward the crew members with whom they interact.

If my wants and needs are a bit more demanding than the normal routine, I think something extra is warranted. If you and your cultural background say differently, that's fine. You should do what is most comfortable to you.

Never buy an apartment if you think this is complicated or unnecessary. When the holiday season rolls around there are the doormen, security people, the people at the concierge desk, building management, the maintenance staff, and a few other people I've probably forgotten.

Edited by Im_Reading

Oddly, I tend to eat healthier on the ships. When I make a big effort at home, I want it to be something I love. When someone else does the work, I'm happy to settle for sensible. :)

Yup me too. I usually order the simplest meal on the menu, and I've often been surprised that it was quite pleasant. I don't expect a gourmet meal in the MDR, but then again, I've never starved on aboard. Actually, I lose a few pounds on each voyage, which works well for me...I figured that if I took a World Cruise, I'd return home at exactly the weight my doctor recommends. No doubt my wallet would be lighter! :)

I really don't care how many hours the crew members work, how much time off they have, what and where they eat, or how much they earn. That is between Cunard and themselves. It is simply none of my business. As is how others choose to, or not, reward the crew members with whom they interact.

If my wants and needs are a bit more demanding than the normal routine, I think something extra is warranted. If you and your cultural background say differently, that's fine. You should do what is most comfortable to you.

Never buy an apartment if you think this is complicated or unnecessary. When the holiday season rolls around there are the doormen, security people, the people at the concierge desk, building management, the maintenance staff, and a few other people I've probably forgotten.

Im_Reading, you are not alone in your position that the working conditions of the crew is between the cruise line and the crew members, and is of no concern to passengers.

But there are others who feel otherwise, and so we continue to ask questions about the working conditions and pay of crew members. Hiring practices, screening and training of crew members is also of import. I believe these issues are worthy of discussion.

I do agree with you that there are cultural differences regarding tipping, but I think it is fair that we discuss these issues, if for no other reason than as an exchange of information.

Bottom line: hopefully, each passenger will consider the issue and do whatever she or he feels best - and as you wrote, what anyone else does or doesn't do in regards to tipping is a personal decision. Hopefully it is a decision made with an informed conscience. Regards, Salacia

I wish you a happy Rosh Hashanah. Please, pray for me, as I will thee.

Salacia

This is one of the reactions I really love from US. Not even our chancellor or President would mention a jewish holiday in public. Probably not more the 100.000 ( of 80 Millions!) Germans would know or realise the existence of any such a day.

Thank you for response even as it is a little too early - another week to go in this year.

This is one of the reactions I really love from US. Not even our chancellor or President would mention a jewish holiday in public. Probably not more the 100.000 ( of 80 Millions!) Germans would know or realise the existence of any such a day.

Thank you for response even as it is a little too early - another week to go in this year.

Seriously? Are people in Germany not particularly religious?

We are Catholic, and as such, are very aware of the Jewish history and traditions, as they are the basis for our Catholic, Christian faith. One of our long-time parishioners is married to a Jewish professor who always teaches classes during Passover to the children at our parish school, followed by a big Seder Dinner for all parishioners.

Our first reading every week is always from the old testament and our priest, who is also a cannon lawyer, always explains the Jewish context in which the scriptures were written as without those explanations they really wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Anyway, Happy New Year next week.