Tipping: Keeping Up With Inflation?

Tess of the Sea

I almost always lose weight on a cruise. Because I can't tolerate a lot of food, due to a digestive problem, so find I am far more disciplined about eating. Then there's the miles walked and all the stairs.

I did think I'd put on 2lbs on our 29 night trip on QM2 in April/ May, but next day it had gone, so I obviously hadn't gained at all.

I think it works much better when you don't eat to full capacity. I've never liked the feeling of being stuffed from a good meal. Walking away nicely satisfied feels good and I enjoy little snacks during the day rather than a large lunch plate. After all, when we get home, the variety stops. :)

I tend to spend a lot of time in the exercise center. Sometimes waiting for a eliptical or other machine. I seem to go when everyone else wants to go, like there is a bell that goes off and everyone hits the gym at the same time.

Then there is the promenade deck for walking. And I try the stair exercises too but they smell like cigarettes sometimes.

With all that, I still make sure I have anticipated my clothing choices. Pants seem to shrink in a suit case on a cruise for some reason. :rolleyes:

There always seems to be time for dessert after breakfast and second breakfast and lunch and dinner and midnight snack dessert. And of course High Tea. And before High Tea coffee and cookies in the cabin.

For the past year or so I have been suffering severe back pain which has really slowed me down on the dance floor and elsewhere. During our last cruise, however, a friend loaned me a TENS unit and it was pretty magical. When we returned home I bought my own and am amazed at how more more I can do and how much longer I can keep going. I am really looking forward to using it on our upcoming trips.

We have a little 3-day Princess cruise coming up this weekend (all sea days) where I will give it a try. Then in November we have a Med cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. That will be a real test as it is quite port intensive and will entail long days of walking as well as long nights of dancing.

Sorry I've missed whatever remote connection there might be between brigittetom's post, and your comment. Please explain. Thank you.

I think he (I believe cunardaddict is a he, if not please correct me), is agreeing with her.

There are, however, some people like DH the super energizer bunny who eat 4 or 5 times as much as other people like me and never gain an ounce, while I am fighting the constant battle. It's not fair, but it is what it is. Every body is different.

I think he (I believe cunardaddict is a he, if not please correct me), is agreeing with her.
Thank you PunkiC, very good of you to help :) . I wonder if agreement was, indeed, what was intended...
There are, however, some people like DH the super energizer bunny who eat 4 or 5 times as much as other people like me and never gain an ounce, while I am fighting the constant battle. It's not fair, but it is what it is. Every body is different.
Quite! Totally agree. We've all seen people who eat huge meals and never seem to put on any weight, and stay slim :( .

Whilst others eat hardly anything, gain weight very easily, it is a constant battle to not get fat, use strict diets, and who only have to glance briefly at a dessert menu... for their clothing to cut off their circulation :D

Edited by pepperrn

For the past year or so I have been suffering severe back pain which has really slowed me down on the dance floor and elsewhere. During our last cruise, however, a friend loaned me a TENS unit and it was pretty magical. When we returned home I bought my own and am amazed at how more more I can do and how much longer I can keep going. I am really looking forward to using it on our upcoming trips.

We have a little 3-day Princess cruise coming up this weekend (all sea days) where I will give it a try. Then in November we have a Med cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. That will be a real test as it is quite port intensive and will entail long days of walking as well as long nights of dancing.

T.E.N.S. can be great.

Hope the back holds up, I've been n a wheelchair for the last 5 years with a back problem.

After some change in treatment just getting out of it, but it's a long slow process.

T.E.N.S. can be great.

Hope the back holds up, I've been n a wheelchair for the last 5 years with a back problem.

After some change in treatment just getting out of it, but it's a long slow process.

Hurray for you! That is a very exciting accomplishment! I have had back issues on and off for the past 50+ years, but as long as I control my weight and get plenty of exercise, I can usually remain ambulatory and even dance and ski. Interestingly enough, skiing is less stressful for my back than standing. In situations where I anticipate I might have to stand for long periods of time, (i.e. in airports and when boarding cruise ships) I do sometimes get a wheelchair, or at the very least use a cane. The TENS unit is amazingly helpful and I am very excited to have discovered it. Yesterday, for instance, we worked in the garden, pruning for several hours and I had no paid, except when the unit turned off. I can't even remember the last time I had to resort to pain medication.

cunardaddict writes:

I could do this for 40 years but for almost 20 years I am collecting the overload.

Glad you were able to enjoy eating whatever you wanted for 40 years. I have been being very careful since I was 12 and it is still a constant struggle. By the grace of God, I don't like sweets or lots of heavy sauces and I don't eat meat, but cheese and potatoes, in almost any form, are my downfall. Fortunately, I love fish and salad so that saves me.

DH, on the other had eats anything and lots of it but has stayed pretty much the same for the past 45 years. Of course, he is very active and loves to play tennis, dance and ski, as well as having a long Honey Do list. He also has the tall slim genes which he passed on our our children.

Quite! Totally agree. We've all seen people who eat huge meals and never seem to put on any weight, and stay slim :( .

Those people have hollow legs and hide the food there for later disposal.

Whilst others eat hardly anything, gain weight very easily, it is a constant battle to not get fat, use strict diets, and who only have to glance briefly at a dessert menu... for their clothing to cut off their circulation :D

A bit of liposuction and a lifestyle face lift and no problems if done precruise. :rolleyes:

Here's my advice again.....Everything in moderation and walk, walk, walk. :D

You sound like a naturally skinny person--like my DH. If I ate in what most people consider "moderation" I would be as fat as a pig, and I get lots of exercise, even when I am in a great deal of pain.

Of course, if we ever have a famine, I will still be trying to lose five pounds after everybody else is dead.

Hurray for you! That is a very exciting accomplishment! I have had back issues on and off for the past 50+ years, but as long as I control my weight and get plenty of exercise, I can usually remain ambulatory and even dance and ski. Interestingly enough, skiing is less stressful for my back than standing. In situations where I anticipate I might have to stand for long periods of time, (i.e. in airports and when boarding cruise ships) I do sometimes get a wheelchair, or at the very least use a cane. The TENS unit is amazingly helpful and I am very excited to have discovered it. Yesterday, for instance, we worked in the garden, pruning for several hours and I had no paid, except when the unit turned off. I can't even remember the last time I had to resort to pain medication.

Thanks for the kind words.

When I was 16 I was told I'd be in a wheelchair by 20, I lasted to 50, used one for 5 years but through being extremely stubborn and a lot of hard work just getting out of it again.

It will come on out next cruise with us and I have no doubt that there will be snide comments about me using it to embark and [hopefully] then not using it until disembarkation.

I suspect no one will have enough guts to say them to my face though, and if so not more than once.

We used to have a small TENS not much bigger that a quarter in size and maybe 1/4 of an inch thick that just stuck on, I think you can still get them in the USA it might be worth your inquiring about as you can wear it all day and no one notices anything.

It will come on out next cruise with us and I have no doubt that there will be snide comments about me using it to embark and [hopefully] then not using it until disembarkation.

I hope that is the only time you need to use it!

I am a great believer in using such help when you need to. I have M.E. (CFS/Cfids) so I look very well. I can even manage to dance in the evening, with rests between the dances. People must think I'm fit and well and active. They don't see the 11 hours I spend in bed each night, and the afternoons spent resting in my room.

As a part of the problem, I can't stand upright, still for long periods of time. Even five minutes will leave me nauseous. I've learnt that I either have to go through with the wheelchair crowd or be prepared to sit on the ground under the ropes in queues, then join the rest of my group when they get closer to the front.

People need to accept that there are those of us with hidden illnesses. You can't see all disabilities but they are real.

It will come on out next cruise with us and I have no doubt that there will be snide comments about me using it to embark and [hopefully] then not using it until disembarkation..

My husband had to do exactly that on our May 9 crossing. Due to undetected zero circulation, he couldn't walk more than 20 ft without sitting. He managed on the ship with severe pain but absolutely needed the chair for boarding and debarkation. This was unexpected and Cunard was more than accommodating in giving us this service. I'm pleased to say that after major surgery, he is back to normal.

I hope you don't give a thought to what others might think and do exactly what needs to be done to have the best trip possible. :)

People need to accept that there are those of us with hidden illnesses. You can't see all disabilities but they are real.

Exactly right. I remember comments a few years ago about people pretending to be disabled to avoid standing in line and then they were seen on the dance floor. To be honest...the people making the comments came across as morons.

Exactly right. I remember comments a few years ago about people pretending to be disabled to avoid standing in line and then they were seen on the dance floor. To be honest...the people making the comments came across as morons.

I actually got a warning from the admins for telling one poster exactly what I thought of him when he started on about people who use a chair to embark and are then seen walking around.

I must admit I was rather forceful but must say the word I got into trouble over was fairly mild.