Snorkeling equipment

ladygal4.4

The biggest factor in whether snorkeling is enjoyable or not is the mask. Since it has to fit the person's face, the "perfect" brand and model of mask for me is likely to be no good for you at all. It's not something to be bought on line or at a big box store. You want to go to a dive shop where they have not only a selection of masks to look at, but staff to help you understand what a proper fit is, and help you find it. A good mask is going to have a tempered glass lens, and with care will last many years. Prices range from around $50.00 to $100.00, with "normal" in the $60.00 - $80.00 range. Considering that's less than cost of a lot of snorkeling excursions, it's money well spent. You could maybe save half that by buying the cheapest thing out there, but that's no place to save $35.00.

A snorkel is pretty basic, anything your dive shop has will be more than adequate. A lot of the features (Self-closing tubes, etc.) are basically gimmicks, the one-way valve that almost all have does make clearing so easy that there's nothing to it. If you're spending more than $25.00, ask to see one with fewer "Features".

For fins I strongly prefer the "open heel" fins, that require a neoprene bootie. these are much more comfortable, and the booties are there for you if you need to walk on rocks or a rough surface to get to the dive site. Open heel fins: $75.00 to $100.00 for a decent pair. You're balancing the size and weight against your packing restrictions here. Neoprene boots: $40.00 to $70.00. I prefer the higher ankle type with a zipper, versus the lower slip on type, strictly because the low ones tend to get gravel and sand in them when shore diving.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

We cruise about 3 times a year and purchased our US Divers equipment back in 2011 (I think). They have worked great up until our last cruise a few months ago when I dropped my mask and the lens popped out. I pushed it back in and it worked for awhile. But, it is now leaking and I think I'm due for another.

I highly suggest getting the smaller travel fins. They work awesome and are easier to pack and take up less room. :)

• 4 weeks later...

We used to use US Diver & had to replace every few years due to flipper dry rot, hardened mask, etc. Finally just started bringing mask & snorkel, using excursion's or cheap rental flippers.

Best full kit so far is National Geographic--cheaper than professional gear but much better quality than US D. Strap/heel, short, split flippers. We actually got ours on board at Shorex when both our masks leaked, $64 but then we got a 10% discount for having booked a tour.