Suggestions for LA

njguy_south

Hi. I will be cruising from San Pedro next May (2017). We fly into LAX, arriving around 9 am, and are staying 2 nights, having one whole day to explore LA area. I have never been to LA, and would really enjoy seeing the sights of Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I also want to make a quick visit to the grave of my WWI grand-uncle, buried at the LA National Cemetery.

My question is, where should we stay? Hollywood or San Pedro? MapQuest indicated that LAX to Hollywood (13 miles) was an hour drive last night. WOW! And I thought NYC traffic was terrific! It seems it is also about an hour from LAX to San Pedro.

I am perplexed if we should stay in Hollywood, where we will be spending most of the full day (and where I would like to see the Hollywood sign lit-up and visit the Magic Castle). I would not need a rental car, as I would use a car service to the cemetery and do a bus tour (TCM) of Hollywood, then a taxi for nearby things. But this means driving to San Pedro on embarkation day. (We sail at 6 pm.)

If we stay in San Pedro, I would need to get a rental car (no problem), but would have an 1.5 hour drive to Hollywood and then the same on return. Since we would not be able to return to the hotel for the entire day and evening, this could make for a loooong day. But I will be minutes from the port on embarkation day.

My initial thoughts are to stay in Hollywood, in the heart of the action. What are your thoughts? And any suggestions for a Hollywood hotel? (I was thinking The Lowes.)

Thanks!

The cemetery is located next to UCLA in Westwood, so staying around Santa Monica would enable you to visit the cemetery on the way to/from Hollywood or BH.

Or my fave place, stay at the Farmer's Daughter across the street from the iconic old Farmers Market. Get a car, it's fairly convenient to Beverly Hills and Westwood, as well as the Farmers Market itself, the Grove entertainment/shopping center, various museums, etc. and lots of nearby restaurants including Canter's Deli, another LA landmark. http://farmersdaughterhotel.com/

It sounds as though you've thought this out quite a bit...but also that you are not all that familiar with LA...

San Pedro is great for being close to the cruise port...but, as far as touring most of LA, it's not very convenient at all...

As you've noticed, traffic in Los Angeles can be horrendous--especially if you are trying to get anywhere between, say, 7:00 am and 11:00 am and 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm on a week day...Yes, some very long "rush hours"...and no guarantee other times of the day or week are clear sailing either...Especially bad if you are not from here...Natives tend to know the traffic patterns and where the shortcuts are.

If you really want to stay in Hollywood proper, be aware that most of it is a little "worn" and questionable. In Hollywood, there are only a few places I would recommend. IMHO, the Loews is clearly the best hotel in Hollywood...fairly new and upscale, it is located in the Hollywood and Highland complex along with the Chinese Theater and the Dolby Theater, a lot of restaurants and shops and with the "Walk of Fame passing right outside along Hollywood Blvd. Do beware when wandering around out on the streets near here...Being a major tourist spot, it is also a mecca for street people, pickpockets and all sorts of strange activity. The Hollywood Roosevelt hotel is the "Grande Dame" of Hollywood hotels--a bit old, but very nice...Past there, other hotels in the area will either have you walking through a lot of "interesting" areas. The Magic Castle also operates a hotel on their property--which is not bad...But, as to visiting the Castle, I would call them first and find out if there is some way you might gain admission...Their rules are that you MUST be a member or a guest of a member...See this:

http://www.magiccastle.com/visiting/

Hollywood, generally, is not my favorite place to stay in the LA area...As others have notes, Santa Monica is most people's (and my) favorite--lots of stuff to do night and day, great climate, upscale area, safe...All of the major tour companies (and the HOHO bus) do pick-ups at Santa Monica hotels. Hotel prices can be a bit pricey...but lots of VERY nice hotels...I have personally stayed at the Loews and at the Marriott LeMarigot and can personally recommend both...Shutters at the Beach, the Fairmont Miramar, the Huntley, the Wyndham and others are good choices as well. It is relatively easy to get to the Veterans Cemetery in Westwood from there as well...and it is closer to LAX...

There are other areas of town with decent and convenient hotel choices. Right near the cemetery is Westwood Village...There are a couple of hotels right near the Cemetery (and the Getty Museum)--the Angeleno and the Luxe--though both have very little else immediately around them...Other popular areas are Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Venice/Marina Del Rey and Universal City...

But where you stay has a lot to do with how you envision your days...and how you plan to get around...If you are arriving on a 9:00 am flight and staying two nights before your cruise on the third day, you, basically, have the afternoon and evening of day one and the entire day and evening of day two...

If you have a rental car, you can really stay anywhere--but beware of parking charges at your hotel and anywhere you visit...If you plan on doing this without a rental car, know that taxis are VERY expensive and distances long.

If you stay in Hollywood, yes you MAY be able to see the sign at night--and likely be fairly disappointed...It is way up on the hill and can look rather small from the heart of Hollywood...Coolest views of the sign are found during the day by venturing up into the hills near the sign--there are some interesting view points. But, other than that, at night, you may find it a bit unnerving walking around at night...

If you stay somewhere else (Say, Santa Monica or other places on the West Side), you can always take one of those standard LA tourist tours and see all of the sights of Hollywood, etc. that you care to see...and be able to relax and enjoy a better experience at night than you would in Hollywood. In Santa Monica, you have the Third Street Promenade, the Santa Monica Pier, Palisades Park (and the nearby Venice Beach Boardwalk) all nearby and giving you a lot of places to stroll, relax, eat and be entertained during those times you are not touring the tourist sites. Plus, a private car or taxi to the Veterans Cemetery is a bit easier from Santa Monica. And you are more convenient to LAX...

Good luck...

It sounds as though you've thought this out quite a bit...but also that you are not all that familiar with LA...

San Pedro is great for being close to the cruise port...but, as far as touring most of LA, it's not very convenient at all...

As you've noticed, traffic in Los Angeles can be horrendous--especially if you are trying to get anywhere between, say, 7:00 am and 11:00 am and 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm on a week day...Yes, some very long "rush hours"...and no guarantee other times of the day or week are clear sailing either...Especially bad if you are not from here...Natives tend to know the traffic patterns and where the shortcuts are.

If you really want to stay in Hollywood proper, be aware that most of it is a little "worn" and questionable. In Hollywood, there are only a few places I would recommend. IMHO, the Loews is clearly the best hotel in Hollywood...fairly new and upscale, it is located in the Hollywood and Highland complex along with the Chinese Theater and the Dolby Theater, a lot of restaurants and shops and with the "Walk of Fame passing right outside along Hollywood Blvd. Do beware when wandering around out on the streets near here...Being a major tourist spot, it is also a mecca for street people, pickpockets and all sorts of strange activity. The Hollywood Roosevelt hotel is the "Grande Dame" of Hollywood hotels--a bit old, but very nice...Past there, other hotels in the area will either have you walking through a lot of "interesting" areas. The Magic Castle also operates a hotel on their property--which is not bad...But, as to visiting the Castle, I would call them first and find out if there is some way you might gain admission...Their rules are that you MUST be a member or a guest of a member...See this:

http://www.magiccastle.com/visiting/

Hollywood, generally, is not my favorite place to stay in the LA area...As others have notes, Santa Monica is most people's (and my) favorite--lots of stuff to do night and day, great climate, upscale area, safe...All of the major tour companies (and the HOHO bus) do pick-ups at Santa Monica hotels. Hotel prices can be a bit pricey...but lots of VERY nice hotels...I have personally stayed at the Loews and at the Marriott LeMarigot and can personally recommend both...Shutters at the Beach, the Fairmont Miramar, the Huntley, the Wyndham and others are good choices as well. It is relatively easy to get to the Veterans Cemetery in Westwood from there as well...and it is closer to LAX...

There are other areas of town with decent and convenient hotel choices. Right near the cemetery is Westwood Village...There are a couple of hotels right near the Cemetery (and the Getty Museum)--the Angeleno and the Luxe--though both have very little else immediately around them...Other popular areas are Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Venice/Marina Del Rey and Universal City...

But where you stay has a lot to do with how you envision your days...and how you plan to get around...If you are arriving on a 9:00 am flight and staying two nights before your cruise on the third day, you, basically, have the afternoon and evening of day one and the entire day and evening of day two...

If you have a rental car, you can really stay anywhere--but beware of parking charges at your hotel and anywhere you visit...If you plan on doing this without a rental car, know that taxis are VERY expensive and distances long.

If you stay in Hollywood, yes you MAY be able to see the sign at night--and likely be fairly disappointed...It is way up on the hill and can look rather small from the heart of Hollywood...Coolest views of the sign are found during the day by venturing up into the hills near the sign--there are some interesting view points. But, other than that, at night, you may find it a bit unnerving walking around at night...

If you stay somewhere else (Say, Santa Monica or other places on the West Side), you can always take one of those standard LA tourist tours and see all of the sights of Hollywood, etc. that you care to see...and be able to relax and enjoy a better experience at night than you would in Hollywood. In Santa Monica, you have the Third Street Promenade, the Santa Monica Pier, Palisades Park (and the nearby Venice Beach Boardwalk) all nearby and giving you a lot of places to stroll, relax, eat and be entertained during those times you are not touring the tourist sites. Plus, a private car or taxi to the Veterans Cemetery is a bit easier from Santa Monica. And you are more convenient to LAX...

Good luck...

You know Steve, for a guy who lives in LA, you sure spend a lot of time in local hotels :rolleyes:.

For the rest of you guys listening to his advise.... he is usually spot on.