Santiago-Buenos Aries cruise, which direction preferable?

susiesan

I am researching doing one of the Cape South American cruises that travel between Santiago and Buenos Aries for early 2016. I have not decided on a cruise line yet, but wondered if one direction sailing was preferable than the other? I will probably spend at least 2 days at the beginning and ending ports in addition to the 14 day cruise.

For those who have taken these cruises, which way did you go?

i don't know, but can say we choose east to west for the starting/ending cities. BA is a major city with lots going on so a good place to start while the energy level is high, then wind down in Valpo/Santiago,which appears more laid back.

I don't know that the in between part really matters :D

I would say get the longest journey from home to Port out of the way first. Because you´re ecited to be going on holiday and things just don´t seem so tiring, spend a few days at the 1st destination. On the way back again stay a few days if you can before the short return flight, by that time at the end of the holiday we just want to get home as quickly as possible.

Another thing you might consider if going to the Falklands, is to do any Argentinian ports first just in case the Govt of the day feels like causing any ¨difficulties¨as thery did when we visited Falklands and they wouldn´t let us dock in Ushuaia.

Sandy in Spain

We did around the horn from Buenos Aires to Valpo. I am glad we did it that way, since, I understand that if you take it in reverse, you have less time in Ushuaia.

Ushuaia is the southernmost port on your cruise and you need a full day there. Pick the cruise where your ship arrives there early morning.

Here is my review of our cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

We did around the horn from Buenos Aires to Valpo. I am glad we did it that way, since, I understand that if you take it in reverse, you have less time in Ushuaia.

Ushuaia is the southernmost port on your cruise and you need a full day there. Pick the cruise where your ship arrives there early morning.

Here is my review of our cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

Never thought of this point. Wish I had read it before I booked a Valpo to BA cruise. Looks like we arrive in Ushuaia at noon, leave at 8PM.

Still, a week in BA at to wrap up our vacation is worth the trade off for me. BA is my favorite big city on earth. I hasten to add favorite big city that I have visited...still missing Paris, Berlin, and all major Asian cities. :)

Never thought of this point. Wish I had read it before I booked a Valpo to BA cruise. Looks like we arrive in Ushuaia at noon, leave at 8PM.

Still, a week in BA at to wrap up our vacation is worth the trade off for me. BA is my favorite big city on earth. I hasten to add favorite big city that I have visited...still missing Paris, Berlin, and all major Asian cities. :)

BA is great, we spend four days there. Be sure and go to a tango show.

Paris and Berlin are great places. In Paris, watch out for pickpockets. Still, with the METRO, it is easy to get around the city on your own.

Berlin is worth a few days. I was there before and after the Wall. Make sure you see the Pergamum Museum.

BA is great, we spend four days there. Be sure and go to a tango show.

Paris and Berlin are great places. In Paris, watch out for pickpockets. Still, with the METRO, it is easy to get around the city on your own.

Berlin is worth a few days. I was there before and after the Wall. Make sure you see the Pergamum Museum.

A funny thing happened on my quest to visit the world's great cities.I visited Buenos Aires back in 2001 and fell in love, returning again and again rather than moving on to other cities. Been to more Tango shows and Milongas than I can count. Probably won't go again this time around. I can never get enough steak and Malbec though.

I may yet make it to Berlin and Paris if I can get over the feeling I would be cheating on my first love.