Tribord Mask and Contact lenses

shadow8800

Has anyone used the tribord breath easy mask with contact lenses? It claims to drain any water that gets inside down toward the chin to be purged out so I was wondering if this would be a good option for someone needing corrective lenses.

Thanks

I don't wear glasses but spousal unit is blind without her contacts. When I finally got her to snorkel and later scuba, it was because she felt comfortable with a very LOW VOLUME mask and she'd learned how to 'clear' a mask. Low volume makes clearing easier. She still follows this philosophy (started snorkeling in '83) and dd who ALSO is dependant on contacts follows suit now that she dives.

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

The 'tribord' is far from a low volume mask and relies on 'technology' to get the water that inevitably gets in, OUT .... it is just a purge valve also available on other masks and/or snorkels.

If you get a 'trickle' of water in the mask I'm sure the "T" will work but inevitably, sooner or later someone is gonna kick you or for some other reason the mask will get dislodged and fill. THEN you have your face inside an aquarium rather than a very close fitting, minimum water holding mask ..... and that's gonna be impossible to clear easily. What many people LIKE about this mask is it allows 'mouth and nose' breathing, which a traditional mask and snorkel does not.

Just the opinion of an old SCUBA diver ... diving/snorkeling since '73

p.s. historical point: I actually had a full face mask with a built in snorkel (splash free) at one time. Was purchased by my father in 1969 in Grand Cayman ... I think it was sold under the Cressi banner. The HUGE air volume it held made the darn thing damn hard to use and totally prevented diving down to look at anything. I wish I still had it tho .... very historical!

Thank you for the reply Capt B. I am a very strong swimmer but I have never been snorkeling. I have difficulty with the idea of breathing only through my mouth. That is why I originally was looking at the Tribord mask because it allowed breathing through the mouth and nose. It seems to get rave reviews from those who have tried it. I do understand it limits the ability to free dive and explore. Even while swimming in a pool if I dive under just holding my breath I have never been able to get my ears to equalize. I want to practice in a pool before we leave for the Caribbean in December.

Do your DD and DW use contacts or are their masks fitted with Rx lenses? Do you think a snorkel would bother someone with a full set of dentures or would it be comfortable?

I live in a very small town in the center of TX and the closest big city that might have a dive shop is 3-4 hours from us. I was just not sure where to start.

Thanks for any help you or anyone else can offer

Additionally, you will not dive down at all with the tribord mask. We have not had issue with leakage or filling with water, nor someone kicking us when with others. We have snorkeled In really rough seas 3-4' and choppy where we had a few issues where the wave would lock down the intake but after the 1st time you figure out how to clear. It does provide exceptional visibility and eliminates the need to clear the snorkel. We have not had any issue with fogging up either. We have found it to be exactly as per mfg. videos stated. We have 3 of them.

Additionally, you will not dive down at all with the tribord mask. We have not had issue with leakage or filling with water, nor someone kicking us when with others. We have snorkeled In really rough seas 3-4' and choppy where we had a few issues where the wave would lock down the intake but after the 1st time you figure out how to clear. It does provide exceptional visibility and eliminates the need to clear the snorkel. We have not had any issue with fogging up either. We have found it to be exactly as per mfg. videos stated. We have 3 of them.

Thank you for that.

Some people were stating that when they exerted themselves that they found it difficult to breathe using the Tribord has this been an issue for you at all? I am glad to hear you have had a positive experience with them. Is there a learning curve to use them or was it pretty easy? Any claustophobic feeling?

Thank you again

No issue breathing or claustrophobic feeling at all. We didn't have a learning curve either. The only issue you will have if you tilt your head to far causing water to close of the breathing tube...after that happens once you will know the limits but that is really a rare event for us.. We have probably 7-8 hours of snorkeling in ours on four different trips. My family wouldn't snorkel with regular mask and snorkel and the tribord has changed that/

No issue breathing or claustrophobic feeling at all. We didn't have a learning curve either. The only issue you will have if you tilt your head to far causing water to close of the breathing tube...after that happens once you will know the limits but that is really a rare event for us.. We have probably 7-8 hours of snorkeling in ours on four different trips. My family wouldn't snorkel with regular mask and snorkel and the tribord has changed that/

Thank you for the information you have been very helpful. I was concerned about snorkeling because of the mouth breathing. At least if I order soon I can practice at the university that my kids go to..they have an indoor pool and family of students can have free admission.

I tried on my DH respirator from work to see how it felt to have my whole face covered and it was okay I didn't freak out or feel trapped so I think I may at least give the tribord a try. I am not much for going underwater as I said because I can't get my ears to equalize anyways so it is uncomfortable to dive under too far.

I think as a beginner, snorkeling at the surface would be fine for me. If I find I like it to the point where I want to free dive I will look into maybe some sort of classes or something to see if the ear thing is just me not doing it correctly or what. My dad scuba dived for many years and tried to show me way back when and I just couldn't do it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my questions I sincerely appreciate it :D

And another thank you to Capt BJ for the initial info which also gave me some things to consider.

As FYI...the Head sea vu mask appears to be the same as the tribord....we saw it at dive shop in key west. My wife has had her ear drums replaced so she is very sensitive to water and ears/ equalization and she recommends the tribord.. The full view in the water is amazing, we don't feel we miss much not being able to free dive....I can get down maybe 3' but fighting the buoyancy is a challenge.

Good luck! We're taking ours to the Great Barrier Reef!!!

As FYI...the Head sea vu mask appears to be the same as the tribord....we saw it at dive shop in key west. My wife has had her ear drums replaced so she is very sensitive to water and ears/ equalization and she recommends the tribord.. The full view in the water is amazing, we don't feel we miss much not being able to free dive....I can get down maybe 3' but fighting the buoyancy is a challenge.

Good luck! We're taking ours to the Great Barrier Reef!!!

I am jealous...;)I hope you have an awesome trip. I hope we can do a trip like that one day because that would truly be something to see! Thank you again

Happy Cruising

Do your DD and DW use contacts or are their masks fitted with Rx lenses? Do you think a snorkel would bother someone with a full set of dentures or would it be comfortable?

They wear soft disposable contacts .... easy to carry a spare set and no fumbling for glasses when they take the mask off ... and a years supply of contacts costs less than a good Rx mask. [but a good dive shop may have the "system" where they carry a mask 'frame' and a large assortment of lenses that fit in the frame in common strengths. You can build what you need and costs WAy less than a true Rx mask - so long as you have a fairly common prescription ... but I digress]

Snorkel and mask re dentures etc .... it is all about FIT. There are hundreds of masks and snorkels and fins on the market, why? Cuz just like ski boots - comfort makes a BIG difference in enjoyment. Walking into WALMART and buying a $25 set of equipment might work for some ... but most will never know if it is a good choice or a bad choice. Active divers like active skiers spend time and money to get decent gear ... comfort and lasts a long time ... replacement parts ... all get important the more you use the toys.

I ski once every 10 years and take whatever the rental place throws at me . . .

There was a time when dw and I were either snorkeling or diving at least 2 weekends every month, and two or three week long dive trips a year. dd recently spent 6 weeks in Roatan on an internship diving 3 times a day or more .... we've replaced straps for increased comfort and 'customised' snorkel and scuba mouth pieces for dw who had major jaw surgery (tmj)

btw, when this new gizmo was first released I posted about it right here for those who might find it useful ... a "once and a while" snorkeler may. "Real divers" on the other hand ..... So I tried to give the best answer to your question based on OUR preferences and experience.

Edited by Capt_BJ

They wear soft disposable contacts .... easy to carry a spare set and no fumbling for glasses when they take the mask off ... and a years supply of contacts costs less than a good Rx mask. [but a good dive shop may have the "system" where they carry a mask 'frame' and a large assortment of lenses that fit in the frame in common strengths. You can build what you need and costs WAy less than a true Rx mask - so long as you have a fairly common prescription ... but I digress]

Snorkel and mask re dentures etc .... it is all about FIT. There are hundreds of masks and snorkels and fins on the market, why? Cuz just like ski boots - comfort makes a BIG difference in enjoyment. Walking into WALMART and buying a $25 set of equipment might work for some ... but most will never know if it is a good choice or a bad choice. Active divers like active skiers spend time and money to get decent gear ... comfort and lasts a long time ... replacement parts ... all get important the more you use the toys.

I ski once every 10 years and take whatever the rental place throws at me . . .

There was a time when dw and I were either snorkeling or diving at least 2 weekends every month, and two or three week long dive trips a year. dd recently spent 6 weeks in Roatan on an internship diving 3 times a day or more .... we've replaced straps for increased comfort and 'customised' snorkel and scuba mouth pieces for dw who had major jaw surgery (tmj)

btw, when this new gizmo was first released I posted about it right here for those who might find it useful ... a "once and a while" snorkeler may. "Real divers" on the other hand ..... So I tried to give the best answer to your question based on OUR preferences and experience.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, you have been very informative and have given me plenty to think about. I appreciate it very much since I know next to nothing about snorkeling.

I am considering the tribord still because diving under is not something that I am planning on doing anyway and I like the fact that I can breath through my nose. But I will have to order and test for myself to be sure. If not I will try one of the low volume masks you mentioned. We will only be snorkeling on vacations (if I enjoy it) like cruises to the Caribbean and not really any other time.

While investigating the only local diving place near me is one who teaches for diving certifications they seem to be a mobile outfit with no store. I thought I would call on Monday to see where they send people to be fitted and purchase gear.

Thanks again...have a great week! :)

Edited by shadow8800

Maybe a little late but I don't think I understand what wearing contacts has to do with water getting in a mask. I wore contacts for several years as a diver prior to getting corrective surgery and never had an issue. I actually got certified while wearing contacts and did all my mask clearing and removal skills with contacts in (and in they stayed).

Maybe a little late but I don't think I understand what wearing contacts has to do with water getting in a mask. I wore contacts for several years as a diver prior to getting corrective surgery and never had an issue. I actually got certified while wearing contacts and did all my mask clearing and removal skills with contacts in (and in they stayed).

Hi CT Sean

I was just asking because some people have said they have lost their contacts if the mask gets a lot of water in it.... or if water in general from the ocean or pool gets in their eyes after removing the mask bye bye contacts. Is this not the case?

Like I said I am a total beginner so I thought I would ask and see what would work best. I normally wear glasses but optometrist said due to my Rx strength I probably wouldn't see much without some sort of corrective lens. I bought a small amount of dailies just for this purpose and hope they do ok.

Any info you have is helpful to me

Thank you

I can only speak for myself but I never had any problems in many years swimming and snorkeling, and a few years diving, with contact lenses. If you were to search dive forums for diving/snorkelling with contact lenses, you'll find that many other divers have no problems either.

What kind of precautions (if any) do you take when you swim with contacts? If you currently take none, and just swim with your lenses in, then I see no reason why you'd do anything differently with a mask on your face. What variety mask makes no difference

I usually swim in a pool not the ocean with no corrective lenses in at all as I wear glasses normally and am unable to see anything.... but I am just doing laps. I was asking here about contacts because this IS the diving and snorkeling section of this forum. I am not trying to start trouble with anyone on here because I have always found these boards quite helpful. The fact is when I was younger and wore contacts daily back in the 80's I could not even shower with them in because any water getting in my eyes would cause them to fold in half and pop out so perhaps some people have difficulties with contacts that you did not. I am also interested in the tribord mask for other reasons as well I appreciate your input and will put in some practice prior to my trip. Thank you

Edited by shadow8800

Apologies if my response implied any "trouble starting". I was just saying if you don't have any issue with swimming with contacts, then wearing them under a scuba mask (or any design) would be no more of an issue. Given that you have had issues with water and contacts, that concept doesn't apply.

I still don't think the tribord mask offers anything that a traditional mask and snorkel do not. It also seems like it would be much harder getting and maintain a good mask seal around your whole face - which is what will keep the water out.

Apologies if my response implied any "trouble starting". I was just saying if you don't have any issue with swimming with contacts, then wearing them under a scuba mask (or any design) would be no more of an issue. Given that you have had issues with water and contacts, that concept doesn't apply.

I still don't think the tribord mask offers anything that a traditional mask and snorkel do not. It also seems like it would be much harder getting and maintain a good mask seal around your whole face - which is what will keep the water out.

As a user of tribord I will disagree. The tribord does offer a comfort level in being able to breath through the mouth and nose. We have had zero issue with its ability to keep the water out.

I have used traditional mask and snorkel and the full face tribord so I don't have to guess at the differences and limitations.

I apologize as well as this was my first ever question on the boards I guess I was feeling a bit defensive about it. :o

I just have never been snorkeling in the ocean before and have never worn a mask either. I have trouble breathing through my mouth and I have panic disorder which is unpredictable on any given day. I am however a good swimmer but I was worried about using the snorkel and I thought the tribord would work better since it allows breathing through the nose and mouth. I can't dive very deep because I can't get my ears to equalize. I was just curious if the tribord mask worked as advertised or if it would flood and then contacts would be useless. It seems many people love the tribord mask and since I usually find pretty good info on the CC boards I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks to ascruisin for letting me know your experience with the tribord it was most helpful and informative.

Thanks again for the help. as always it is much appreciated

I've been scuba diving with contact lenses since the 80's, down to 130 feet several times. I use a mask with a purge so I never have to clear the mask; the water runs out the purge below my nose. In all these years, I've only lost a contact one time (I was coughing into my regulator at the time) and it stayed right in the mask so I was able to re-insert it on board after rinsing it well.

I've been scuba diving with contact lenses since the 80's, down to 130 feet several times. I use a mask with a purge so I never have to clear the mask; the water runs out the purge below my nose. In all these years, I've only lost a contact one time (I was coughing into my regulator at the time) and it stayed right in the mask so I was able to re-insert it on board after rinsing it well.

That is really good information to know as I have never worn a mask of any kind before. I was wondering if some of the people who were posting were being a little alarmist about how you shouldn't use contacts with a mask.

I am glad you and many others have been using contacts with diving masks successfully for many years, this info helps my confidence in giving it a try with contacts. Thank you so much for letting me know your experience

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering a tribord (or similar) mask because I LOVE to snorkel but have a hypersensitive gag reflex. Holding the snorkel in my mouth is extremely uncomfortable on a good day and nearly impossible on a bad day. This type of device seems like a solution to me. Like you, I am concerned about the ability to maintain a good seal with this mask. I'm also wondering whether fogging is an issue. Can any of the posters here who have used one comment on those concerns?

Edited by agp_mzk

I am considering a tribord (or similar) mask because I LOVE to snorkel but have a hypersensitive gag reflex. Holding the snorkel in my mouth is extremely uncomfortable on a good day and nearly impossible on a bad day. This type of device seems like a solution to me. Like you, I am concerned about the ability to maintain a good seal with this mask. I'm also wondering whether fogging is an issue. Can any of the posters here who have used one comment on those concerns?

A good seal has never been an issue with the 3 of us...teenager and his parents.

Fogging has never been an issue either.

Good luck

A good seal has never been an issue with the 3 of us...teenager and his parents.

Fogging has never been an issue either.

Good luck

Thanks! I may have to try one of these out on my December cruise. It would be nice to be able to snorkel without having to surface every couple of minutes to take the mouthpiece out and re-group. :)