Dubai to Athens via Oman, Egypt etc

English Tim

Has anyone done this voyage or similar, to advise on tours, currency, etc?

We are doing this cruise in April and I'm getting a it apprehensive, which is very unusual. I think I may stay on the ship, much of the time whereas I'm usually quite an intrepid explorer.

We are doing this cruise in April and I'm getting a it apprehensive, which is very unusual. I think I may stay on the ship, much of the time whereas I'm usually quite an intrepid explorer.

We were on the Legend last year, Singapore to Athens. Our Egyptian ports were cancelled long before the cruise so I can't comment there. We LOVED Khasab in Oman. We took a half day Dhow Cruise, with Al Taif Tours.

10.00 am to 01.00 pm Half Day Dhow Cruise to Khor Sham in azure waters through a majestic fjord (Khor), surrounded by Spectacular mountains and serene remote white sand beaches. At the entrance of the fjord our Guests can enjoy dolphin watching. The Dhow will anchor at Telegraph Island during the cruise for Day swimming and snorkeling in pristine waters teeming with friendly colorful fish. We offer our Guests soft drinks, fresh fruits, coffee & tea. Snorkeling equipments and life jackets are included.

In the afternoon we took a 4WD tour up into the mountains. Spectacular!!

In Aqaba we took a "VIP guided tour to Petra with http://www.viajordan.com

It cost $255pp USD, paid in cash at start of tour. Seabourn were charging $269 and did not include all that we saw. This was our tour

Early morning pick up from your ship at Aqaba Port, transfer to Petra (2 hours drive), and begin a guided tour from the main gate through the Siq, to the Treasury, the Nabatean Roman Theater, the Roman road (Cardo) to the basin. Have free time, have a mule ride through the back road to the village of Umm Sayhoon where you will meet your transport. Next visit Little Petra, and then a stop will be at the Spring of Muses and back to Aqaba to your ship.

Rates included:

- Meets and Pick up from your Aqaba Port,

- All Sightseeing and transfers by private Modern A/C Vehicles,

- Entrance Fees to Petra,

- Private English speaking guide,

- Lunch at Petra,

- Horse ride in Petra for the first 800 meters (from the main Gate to the entrance of the Siq),

- Mule rides from the basin through the back road,

We took a boxed lunch from the ship & found a picnic spot in Little Petra. This gave us more sightseeing time and I seem to remember it knocked about $15USD from the price of the tour.

Have a great trip.

We did it 2 years ago having done the Singapore->Dubai leg twice and both times feeling that we were missing out not doing the next bit, we wanted to go through the Suez canal too, we still have Panama on our bucket list. We were thinking about doing it again, but perhaps we thought too long as even Veranda is now 'call for availability'.

Why are you apprehensive? Definitely on this ship there's a limit to how much you *can* get off. We don't get off much normally and enjoy the quiet but we did a few times on that trip.

The Khasab Dhow cruise is really pleasant. The scenery around there is like being on the moon, the rocks are so defined, the sky so blue and the water is clear.

We found no reason to get off in Salalah.

The coach trip to the Valley Of The Kings from Safega is 4 hours each way. We had already decided to visit Cairo, which is 2 1/2 hours each way (see below) and chose not to do another long coach trip. We wish we had because the overwhelming feeling from everyone who went was that it was a great trip. If we went again, we'd do it.

Other cruisers who like history said they enjoyed St Catherine's. Again we didn't get off that day (Sharmh el Sheikh) because we can do beach any day of the week, aren't terribly big history buffs and Mrs Rols didn't feel like a glass bottomed boat. if we went again, I'd do that one.

At Cairo we did the Pyramids, Sphinx and Lunch on the Nile trip. That was disappointing and left us wishing we'd gone to Valley Of The Kings instead, or as well. The drive there was slow, Cairo itself was not lovely to look at. The pyramids and sphinx were wonderful to behold and we're pleased we saw them, however there's not a whole lot to do when you're there but take photos. I do feel for the Egyptians who's livelihood has been destroyed by the downturn in tourism, however it did mean that on leaving the coach you were besieged by tat and trinket sellers to the point we eventually enjoyed one of the pyramids from the coach. Lunch on the Nile was not very good, it wasn't very good lunch, it wasn't an interesting boat ride at all, you saw a load of 5 star hotels overlooking the river, then turned around and saw them all again. Finally on the way back, instead of just getting on the road which was already bad because of the Cairo traffic, we were taken to a souvenir shop where most people got off for 5 minutes and then waited 30 minutes for the stragglers to return. Estimates at the time was that detour cost us 60-90 minutes of travel time back to the ship over and above just going right from the end of the river tour and we were more than delighted to get back. Perhaps a different excursion would be a better plan there.

I spent all day on deck during the Suez Canal transit just marvelling that someone built it.

If I remember correctly we went to Israel and not two ports in Greece, so I can't comment on Santorini. To get to Jerusalem from the port is a long trip, we booked a guide and did exactly the things we wanted to do. Possibly Santorini is a bit more accessible.

Finally at Athens we took the airport transfer with Athens tour and we had generally low expectations, we just wanted the transfer and some way to kill time. The guide was just excellent, really knew her stuff and was incredibly enthusiastic, it was a really good introduction to Athens and a very enjoyable few hours.

Damn - now I wish we'd booked it again whilst they still had the thing on offer!

I guess I am apprehensive about my wife going alone to Valley of the kings, albeit on a ship's tour. I am very tall and hate travelling by coach for long journeys.

I am happy to use ship's facilities and enjoy warm weather, so not fussed about staying on most of the time, but plan a few short tours, like the Dhow cruise and snorkelling.

Thanks for your replies.

It may be a time to say, "hang the expense" and try more ship tours?

I guess I am apprehensive about my wife going alone to Valley of the kings, albeit on a ship's tour. I am very tall and hate travelling by coach for long journeys.

I am happy to use ship's facilities and enjoy warm weather, so not fussed about staying on most of the time, but plan a few short tours, like the Dhow cruise and snorkelling.

Thanks for your replies.

It may be a time to say, "hang the expense" and try more ship tours?

I'm fairly short and also hate long coach trips, or even short ones. I can't even imagine how much worse the Cairo trip would have been had my knees been wrapped around my neck.

A fellow poster recommended another tour company earlier in the thread, perhaps they can arrange transport you don't have to contort yourself into. It's still 4 hours each way, but doesn't have to be a total horror show.

For what it's worth I'd let Mrs Rols go on a seabourn trip to the the valley of the kings on her own if I didn't feel like it and wouldn't worry a jot, Seabourn is pretty good at 'no man (or woman) left behind". I don't guarantee I wouldn't have an early caviar dinner in the suite awaiting her return mind you but I'd endeavour not to be too squiffy before she got back.

I did the Dubai - Venice on Seabourn Quest 2 years ago.

I took a tour to Valley of the Kings and Luxor using Mara

house. Price was reasonable though we had to walk a mile

from the ship to the van. It was the highlight of our trip.

Looking forward to another visit as I am booked on the

Seabourn Odyssey from Dubai to Athens this April.

I also signed up for the snorkeling tour in Sharm El Sheikh

through the ship. Spectacular view though water was a bit

rough. No facilities. But they had a tent for tea.

I have signed up with Dolphin khasab tour listed on trip

Advisor for an all day Dhow tour in Khasab. Plan on shopping

for pashminas in Salalah. Does anyone organize a tour

yet for Luxor off Safaga and Cairo from Sokhna and Athens?