Ketchikan totem recommendations?

jmpiterniak

Hi, we have 8 hours in Ketchikan and want to hit Creek Street and some totems.

Seems there are two totem parks: one 10 miles north of town, and Saxman 8 miles south of town.

Which would you recommend and how would we best get there? Ideas/feedback greatly appreciated! Thank you!

JoAnne:cool:

There is public transit in Ketchikan. Here http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/DocumentCenter/View/2318

Also search this forum, I recall (vaguely) that the buses can be filled quickly, and there are other bus stops you can walk to, to catch them. There are several posts about that. If I have time later and you haven't had any success finding the info here, I will try to search :) The one north of town is Totem Bight.... knowing the name will help with searching/planning

Totem Bight is about 10 miles north of town but Saxman is only 3 miles south.

Haven't been to Saxman but Totem Bight is wonderful; not only the displays but its location where you can walk along a rain forest trail and enjoy waterfront views.

A 3rd totem location is Potlach park which is next door to Totem Bight.

A 4th collection is the Totem Heritage Center, in town.

There are also totems scattered throughout Ketchikan.

Info and directions to the various locations in this link ( a walking tour map):

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

Totem Bight is about 10 miles north of town but Saxman is only 3 miles south.

Haven't been to Saxman but Totem Bight is wonderful; not only the displays but its location where you can walk along a rain forest trail and enjoy waterfront views.

A 3rd totem location is Potlach park which is next door to Totem Bight.

A 4th collection is the Totem Heritage Center, in town.

There are also totems scattered throughout Ketchikan.

Info and directions to the various locations in this link ( a walking tour map):

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

This is exactly what I was looking for! Bookmarked on my phone and I'll probably print as well. Thank you!

We may book a tour on the day we get there depending on weather...would be happy with any of the parks from the sound of it.

JoAnne :cool:

It was pouring rain on one of our visits to Ketchikan so our kayak excursion was cancelled. I just got off the shop and bought a ticket on the dock for a bus tour that stopped at Saxman. They told us about the various totems and it was interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Totem Bight is our favorite! We take the city bus there for like $4 round trip (it used to be $1 each way)! I believe it is the silver line. Drivers and locals are very friendly and you get dropped off and picked up right near the park. After exploring the totems and other exhibits, we take our lunch (brought with us) and enjoy the shoreline. It is a beautiful location!