Weather in France in October?

sparty1

We will be cruising from Paris to Normandy first part of Oct; Paris to Nice 3rd week of Oct. I know weather is always unpredictable, but what can we generally expect during our port visits? ie Is light rain jacket and umbrella sufficient over entire route, north to south? Should we take fleece to wear under jacket, etc? Might it be too warm to pack fleece? Does temp run warm or cool side on Avalon ships? Any info will be appreciated. Thx in advance.:)

Thanx for moving my post to the appropriate place;) I truly was wondering where I should post it, since my concern is weather at each of the" Ports of Call" along the rivers! Thought it fit either, but thanx for finding the right one!

We will be cruising from Paris to Normandy first part of Oct; Paris to Nice 3rd week of Oct. I know weather is always unpredictable, but what can we generally expect during our port visits? ie Is light rain jacket and umbrella sufficient over entire route, north to south? Should we take fleece to wear under jacket, etc? Might it be too warm to pack fleece? Does temp run warm or cool side on Avalon ships? Any info will be appreciated. Thx in advance.:)

Hi sparty1....I was in Paris in October and it was lovely. Normandy being on the Channel, will be quite a bit cooler and rain is always a possibility. When I travel I ALWAYS bring a fleece vest AND a flannel lined hooded rain jacket. I also always bring one hooded zippered sweatshirt that can double as a light sweater or be worn under either the vest or rain jacket if it gets really cool. I haven't been on Avalon but I have done 6 river cruises and I would imagine that themperature comfort wise, they're all about the same.....which is very comfortable. Your cabin will probably be individually controlled by you; the dining and public areas can be a bit cool but they warm up as they fill up and the outside deck will be cooler than the shore. PS: The vest, rain jacket and zippered hoodie ALL have plenty of pockets, which you will be very glad you have if you need any of them.

Off topic: when you're in Normandy, if you have an opportunity to see the Bayeaux Tapestry, take it, it's not to be missed! :D

Thank you both for responding. I assume then that there's not much difference in temps and climate between northern and southern France?

I appreciate the info and your taking the time to provide it.

Thank you both for responding. I assume then that there's not much difference in temps and climate between northern and southern France?

I appreciate the info and your taking the time to provide it.

Well, no not really...sort of like saying not much difference between Michigan and Florida!! If it were me I would compare Paris and south to FLorida iin Oct. and Normandy to Michigan, but that's just me and I don't live in either state.:D

Always in England or Europe in October which is perfect leather jacket weather.

A small folding umbrella and normally no fleece needed....it has been beautiful the last few years.

I lived in England and would agree that it can be lovely in October but it depends on where you are. I think Normandy would be more like Dover than London.

I'm doing Avalon's Grand France beginning 10/20 so I'm following this with interest. I'm assuming that it will be cool and damp in Normandy. Hope that the southern portion will be better weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm doing Avalon's Grand France beginning 10/20 so I'm following this with interest. I'm assuming that it will be cool and damp in Normandy. Hope that the southern portion will be better weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is somewhat late as you will experience to end of Daylight Savings time and your days will be darker and shorter.Our goal is always to come back to the states before the time change.this year we fly back on the 14th.

• 3 months later...

I used to obsess over the 10-day forecasts, updating my spreadsheet twice a day as departure approached (and watching most forecasts switch from cool to hot and from dry to rain -- and back again). Now I just list the average high and low, and the record high. I can make the chart at leisure and I only have to do it once.

Always in England or Europe in October which is perfect leather jacket weather.

A small folding umbrella and normally no fleece needed....it has been beautiful the last few years.

Just what I was thinking. I'll be in Paris in mid-October and thought my leather jacket and a small umbrella would be perfect.

October is basically variable in Northern France, as others have said take layers - I am not so sure about the umbrella as it can get windy !

Remember that in Europe the clocks go back on the last Sunday in October and in Northern France can get dark at about 6 pm then.

I usually go to Normandy at the end of October (I have a flat there) and it is fine - but changeable !