P&O posted this on their facebook page

rkmw

P&O Cruises have introduced restrictions for non-alcoholic beverages being brought onboard to ensure the safety and security of all guests in line with Responsible Service of Alcohol guidelines. The following restrictions apply to cruises departing on or after 1 November 2014:

* Plastic or glass bottled soft drinks (including water) and slab packs of canned soft drinks are not permitted to be brought onboard.

* Each guest may bring onboard a maximum of 12 cans of soft drink loosely packed.

In addition to the above, alcohol is not permitted to be brought onboard. Any alcohol purchased on shore will be collected at embarkation and will be returned at the end of the cruise. All luggage, including hand and check-in, will be x-rayed at embarkation.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, however the safety and security of all of our guests and crew is paramount. We appreciate your cooperation to ensure restricted items are not packed

Fair enough they are a business and need to make money. although why let people bring anything, should be a total ban

stopping people bring on bottles of water is a bit rough, they only want you to buy their water onboard....they must be the only cruise line that would do that

Fair enough they are a business and need to make money. although why let people bring anything, should be a total ban

But don't claim restrictions on soft drink and water are for RSA and safety reasons.

It may even make sense to limit it to unopened bottles.

I suspect there have been instances of people emptying water and soft drink from bottles, and then re-filling them with not-so-soft drink. :rolleyes:

It would be possible to make them appear to be unopened. It pretty hard to do that with a can though. And if you can't take a slab, then you can't remove the centre cans and replace them with others either.

So I think P&O's comment about the change being for RSA and safety reasons is spot on. They are making it harder to smuggle alcohol on-board.

stopping people bring on bottles of water is a bit rough, they only want you to buy their water onboard....they must be the only cruise line that would do that

I agree, water is a freely available resourse so I don't understand the ban.

Luckily we are cruising from the 25 october so this this will not effect us. However because of the new regulations we may chose not to cruise P an O again.

I just think it is a bit petty.

Cheers

Luckily we are cruising from the 25 october so this this will not effect us. However because of the new regulations we may chose not to cruise P an O again.

Cheers

Edit: I wonder if cask water is included in this new ban, it is not listed in the notice.

Cheers

Not cruising on a cruise line because you can't bring water on board is pretty petty too I think.

There are bigger things to care about than water, just fill a drink bottle on the ship.

Not cruising on a cruise line because you can't bring water on board is pretty petty too I think.

There are bigger things to care about than water, just fill a drink bottle on the ship.

The quote was more for the P and O trolls who follow these forums.

Real men drink beer not water...........lol

Edited by LPCRUISER58

Fair comment. It'll actually result in the passenger saving money. :-)

CroydonCruiser - Your spot on with your comment. I have heard of people trying to smuggle on booze, eg. rum, gin, etc in plastic soft drink containers.

It amazes me that people will save for months or years to go on that special cruise, and some cheapskates will try to smuggle booze on in various containers.....how cheap is that?

DW & I enjoy an afternoon drink in the bar up above & overlooking the swimming pool (eg. Mast Bar on Celebrity Millenium) where I would have a nice craft beer or european beer, then when we visited the main dining room, we ordered a bottle of a nice NZ Sauvignon Blanc or Spainish/or Californian Rose.

If we didn't finish the wine at dinner, the head waiter would put the half empty wine into storage, and bring out on the next night, for our enjoyment.

I agree with you Croydon Cruiser. People boast on cruise forums that they have filled water bottles with vodka, take rum runners etc.

There is iced/non-iced water supplied in the free beverage machines and there is nothing wrong with the water that comes out of the bathroom taps. We drink it all the time and it tastes as good as the water that comes out of our filter at home!

You are still allowed to take 12 cans of soft drink, just not packed in a carton - blame that on the people who smuggle on alcohol in softdrink boxes.

I certainly would not refuse to cruise P&O for that reason, but I would refuse to cruise with them if they allowed drunks to roam the ship. As it was, on the cruise we have just got off, there were a few in the lifts who were pretty 'tanked up', but not causing any trouble.

but the cruise lines / p and o are not paying and tax and it should be way cheaper on there ships

Only if they sold at cost price.

Go to a restaurant that sells wine and I'm yet to see them sell at cost price. I don't see why you think ships should.

Does that mean that you also complain if they sell their cabin below cost price of accommodation, meals and taxes? Because it needs to be more expensive to cover their cost of being in business?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

I agree with you on this one, I personally think the water on board tastes a bit funny and definitely has higher than usual chlorine in it. So this is an attempt at getting you to feed their bottom line with $6 bottles of water if you don't want to drink it :rolleyes:

It won't deter the people smuggling alcohol on board, there are legitimately hundreds of other and I daresay better ways I can think of how to smuggle liquids on undetected. Which means this will only punish the people who genuinely want to bring water with them. If you book at a hotel you can take whatever you want with you to that hotel, don't see why the cruise industry should be able to dictate what you can't bring to squeeze more $$$ out of you, no other cruise line does this, heck RCL, Princess and Celebrity let you BYO wine :p.

Wouldn't stop me from cruising P&O but if I was presented with the option of two cruises, it could be that little thing that makes the decision easier to make :cool:

• 3 months later...
Quote originally posted by Crusin-m:

I agree with you on this one, I personally think the water on board tastes a bit funny and definitely has higher than usual chlorine in it. So this is an attempt at getting you to feed their bottom line with $6 bottles of water if you don't want to drink it

Sorry if I did the above wrong. :confused:

I was thinking of taking a handheld bottle with me that has a filter in it. I saw one in my local Health Food store. That should filter out any taste. I assume they would let me carry it onboard. Unfortunately I don't drink soft drink.

Cheers. :)

I was thinking of taking a handheld bottle with me that has a filter in it. I saw one in my local Health Food store. That should filter out any taste. I assume they would let me carry it onboard. Unfortunately I don't drink soft drink.

Cheers. :)

We bought these from Big W a few years ago, but found the water in the cabin fine to drink so don't take them any more. (By the way, we have a filter fitted to our tap at home because of the chlorine problem.) The only times I have noticed chlorine in the ship's water is very occasionally from the cold water machine in the buffet.

We have in the past carried filter bottles on in our backpack without any questions. Now we just take an ordinary (bought) bottle of water and refill it.

We usually buy one bottle of water on the ship to take ashore on the first port day and refill it. We have never been questioned about it.