Pre-Mixed Long Island Teas?

helen haywood

I'm pretty sure 50% of people would fail a blind taste test to identify "pre-mixed-alcoho"l and "mixed-in-the-glass-alcoho" long island iced teas.

Give me three of them an I guarantee you it would be a "blind taste test" :)

I do think that if you're paying the full price for the drink, you are entitled to be more demanding. But I never said anywhere that UBP holders should accept "zero quality". For one thing, I reject the premise that pre-mixed alcohol is automatically "zero quality", and for another, UBP holders can refuse the pre-mixed stuff, too.

If other people are OK drinking pre-mixed Long Island iced teas, you should say "Not my problem," and move on. In fact, you should say "thank you" because the bartender will get to your order that much faster.

So if I'm paying $17.95 for a drink I am more "entitled" to expect a good drink than someone who has a promo UBP? If I pay for a suite, am I entitled to better service throughout the ship than someone who booked an inside cabin? You get what you pay for?

I do agree, I am much more likely to ask for a re-do on a drink if I am paying by the drink. But IMO, a "free" Margarita should taste every bit as good as one which was "paid" for. Some people know enough to ask for drinks a certain way, but most don't and will accept whatever they are handed. Doesn't make it right. So I'm not going to say "thank you" to these cruisers who make it possible for NCL to serve drinks faster, with less staff and less expense put towards bar costs. And if those with the UBP are not that impressed with the drinks, they perhaps simply drink less, and NCL has less expense and retains more profit.

These jugs of mixes pretty much coincided with the start of the promos with free UBP, IMO, probably to keep the cost down. "We're going to give you free drinks, but they might not be as good as previously." "And while we're at it, we will jack up the prices a couple times for those who pay as they go, so they can help offset some of the expense of giving all those freebie UBPs." So, I will not say "not my problem" because eventually I will be handed one of those concoctions at some point, and IMO the overall quality of drinks declines. And who wants to have to be monitoring how the bartender is making your drink the entire cruise.

Edited by punkincc

So if I'm paying $17.95 for a drink I am more "entitled" to expect a good drink than someone who has a promo UBP? If I pay for a suite, am I entitled to better service throughout the ship than someone who booked an inside cabin? You get what you pay for?

I do agree, I am much more likely to ask for a re-do on a drink if I am paying by the drink. But IMO, a "free" Margarita should taste every bit as good as one which was "paid" for. Some people know enough to ask for drinks a certain way, but most don't and will accept whatever they are handed. Doesn't make it right. So I'm not going to say "thank you" to these cruisers who make it possible for NCL to serve drinks faster, with less staff and less expense put towards bar costs. And if those with the UBP are not that impressed with the drinks, they perhaps simply drink less, and NCL has less expense and retains more profit.

These jugs of mixes pretty much coincided with the start of the promos with free UBP, IMO, probably to keep the cost down. "We're going to give you free drinks, but they might not be as good as previously." "And while we're at it, we will jack up the prices a couple times for those who pay as they go, so they can help offset some of the expense of giving all those freebie UBPs." So, I will not say "not my problem" because eventually I will be handed one of those concoctions at some point, and IMO the overall quality of drinks declines. And who wants to have to be monitoring how the bartender is making your drink the entire cruise.

THIS ^^^^

especially since recently, you cant book X category cabins and get the UBP as a perk, AND you pay the gratuity on it, it's not really "free" it's somehow calculated into the cost of the fare. A drink for someone without free UBP should be the SAME quality as one who got it for free. If I got subpar service in Cagney's because my dinner was "free as a perk", I would not accept this.

That being said, I understand why they are premixing certain drinks, and that is FINE as long as it tastes as good as one that was made to order. And as someone who has worked in the restaurant business, having something pre made taste as good as something made to order rarely ever, ever happens.

And as someone who has worked in the restaurant business, having something pre made taste as good as something made to order rarely ever, ever happens.

There's no difference in a bartender pouring liters of rot gut liquor into a jug, or pouring shots of rot gut liquor into a collins glass. Because either way they do it, at NCL, they are going to do it wrong.

There are seven ingredients.

1. Cheap Vodka
  2. Cheap Rum
  3. Cheap Gin
  4. Cheap Tequila
  5. Triple Sec
  6. Lemon juice (or sweet/sour mix, depending on where you are)
  7. Cola

With the exception of the cola, it will make no difference if those ingredients are pre-mixed a short time before serving or poured straight out of the bottle.

If the Long Island Iced Tea tastes like crap, it's because you're drinking a Long Island Iced Tea.

When the same people complaining in this thread get their way, they will be back here complaining that it takes too damn long to get a drink because all the bartenders are too busy pouring LIITs.

The only way to improve all of this is to prepare the cocktail properly, with the ingredients properly portioned and the cocktail shaken vigorously and strained over fresh ice. All too often, bartenders simply pour the concoction straight over ice, toss on a lemon, and serve. This is incorrect.

So free pour to order, or pour out of a jug, you will have a crappy cocktail either way.

smh...this thread is silly.

Edited by triptolemus

There's no difference in a bartender pouring liters of rot gut liquor into a jug, or pouring shots of rot gut liquor into a collins glass. Because either way they do it, at NCL, they are going to do it wrong.

There are seven ingredients.

1. Cheap Vodka
  2. Cheap Rum
  3. Cheap Gin
  4. Cheap Tequila
  5. Triple Sec
  6. Lemon juice (or sweet/sour mix, depending on where you are)
  7. Cola

With the exception of the cola, it will make no difference if those ingredients are pre-mixed a short time before serving or poured straight out of the bottle.

If the Long Island Iced Tea tastes like crap, it's because you're drinking a Long Island Iced Tea.

When the same people complaining in this thread get their way, they will be back here complaining that it takes too damn long to get a drink because all the bartenders are too busy pouring LIITs.

The only way to improve all of this is to prepare the cocktail properly, with the ingredients properly portioned and the cocktail shaken vigorously and strained over fresh ice. All too often, bartenders simply pour the concoction straight over ice, toss on a lemon, and serve. This is incorrect.

So free pour to order, or pour out of a jug, you will have a crappy cocktail either way.

smh...this thread is silly.

Thank you. More people are drinking because of the UBP. Making a LIIT is time consuming and unless you're ordering one to be made with top shelf liqour, which is silly because its masked with sour mix and coke, then who cares if its premade.

It speeds up service and its the same drink they'd be assembling.

I don't mind one every now and then, but I know what I'm getting.