Hotel in Anchorage

rfholcom

I have the toursaver book and it looks like there are only 2 hotels that have vacancy when we will be there. Does anyone know anything about the Hawthorn Suites/Downtown or the Dimond Hotel? Which would you recommend and why?

You will need a car for the Diamond. I have never found any bargains with toursaver hotels since they usually are rack rates. So be certain to compare other options and locations- near what you wish to tour.

I will not be there until July. That would be great if you can let me know what you think.

As for the bed and breakfast, I really need a hotel with amenities since I will have 2 small boys with me. I did check other hotels and compare the rates vs the Toursaver and even though it was rack rate for the Toursaver, it comes out cheaper because most of the hotels were already charging rack rates for when we will be there.

Thank you for all the help!

I have the toursaver book and it looks like there are only 2 hotels that have vacancy when we will be there. Does anyone know anything about the Hawthorn Suites/Downtown or the Dimond Hotel? Which would you recommend and why?

Dimond Hotel is in the parking lot of a local mall away from downtown. Is a very nice place but again in a parking lot between a mall and WalMart. Though you'd be in the vicinity of a lot of shopping and fast food restaurants.

Hawthorn is downtown though a little off down the park strip. So it would involve a little walking to restaurants (unless you want to go to Beninhani's, which is in their parking lot) and stores.

Susan in Anchorage :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Just got back from my Alaska trip and dayroom stay at the Hawthorne Suites... The room was VERY large with sitting area and sleeping area... coffee maker with free coffee to make... refrigerator and microwave. We were able to walk to the Brew Pub and other restaurants, about three blocks away or so (not that far). We got the room for $85 plus tax... the room was clean but I say like a Motel 6... my husband said for the money and location it was good... I wouldn't pay much more, but it was perfect for a dayroom or overnight (really wouldn't stay longer.) They have free breakfast in the morning including make your own waffles (we weren't there for that)... 24 hour free coffee, tea and hot chocolate also available in breakfast area. Pop machine is $2 a bottle. There is a little espresso cart near the front desk. Free airport to hotel transportation (sign up for it and it leaves every hour). Any other questions, let me know!

Hi Pittsburgh guy. Sounds like you had a good time. I take it your a south hills guy. I once lived in Mt. Lebonan years ago but I have live in Anchorage years ago also. We will be heading back to Anchorage this summer and have already booked our Hotels. I was wondering if those prices you quoted move any higher come July and August. I was able to get a pretty fancy place for $50 dollars more but the place you stayed does sound nice. Did you go down to Portage? Tim

Basically a lot of the hotels double their prices once Memorial Day hits and stay that way until Labor Day. Used to be sometimes you were lucky to find a room but with the influx of new hotels/motels in the past few years, that doesn't seem to be as big of a problem, just them going to their summer rates.

AKsusan,

Thanks for all the help. Especially the information you gave me on "Mexico in Alaska" It looks like we are all set except for a rental car. Tomarrow we leave for a 10 day land tour of southern Germany. I'll be drinking that good beer in Barvia shortly however I am really looking forward to that great mexican food out there on Spenard Blvd in Anchorage. Also looking forward to those good tomatoes grown up in north of Anchorage. I bet there is alot of folks that do not know about that one. Tim

Tim,

I didn't know anyone grew tomatoes anywhere but at the greenhouses. I know Bell's in town sometimes sells them at their greenhouse as well as in some of the grocery stores. I imagine those farmers in Palmer are too.

Have a good trip to Germany and then visiting us. Remember the mexican restaurant in Spenard is LaMex while Mexico in Alaska is out on the Old Seward :D

Archived