PreCruise motel Amsterdam July 14th/2015

We are flying in two days before our cruise on the Prinsendam from Canada on July. The first night we are booked to stay aboard the Rotterdam motel/ship in Rotterdam as we sailed on her in the late 80's. Next day we will train back up to Amsterdam and have reservations in the Holiday Inn Express near the Ijmuiden Port on the sea. Is this a wise choice or should we be staying near the airport for better arrangements to get us to the ship in the morning? Will we have trouble getting from the Holiday Inn Express to the ship? There seems to be nothing nearby and services look limited. Thank you in advance. We can change our reservations and please give us some recommendations of where to stay that would be easier.

Indeed the Holiday Inn (not Express as far as I know) IJmuiden is rather isolated, nothing there apart rom the beach and the yachtharbor (and the large steel factory at the other sight of the canal. I am not sure if the hotel has a shuttle to bring you to the cruise terminal. It is walkable, but I think it will take about 5-10 minutes, crossing a parkinglot etc. You can check it on this link: https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.4582795,4.5778739,15z?hl=nl

You will see the Felison cruise terminal at Kennemerboulevard. More to the left near Paviljoen Noord is the Holiday Inn.

If you donot intend to do some sighseeing in Amsterdam or activities for the night you will be fine.

Edited by Ine

The first night we are booked to stay aboard the Rotterdam motel/ship in Rotterdam as we sailed on her in the late 80's. Next day we will train back up to Amsterdam and have reservations in the Holiday Inn Express near the Ijmuiden Port on the sea. Is this a wise choice or should we be staying near the airport for better arrangements to get us to the ship in the morning? Will we have trouble getting from the Holiday Inn Express to the ship? There seems to be nothing nearby and services look limited.
Someone on the HAL forum had a plaintive bleat yesterday about IJmuiden being a dump:-
got to Ijmuiden today after a 100 dollar cab ride from Amsterdam. thought I would get here a day early. needles to say, there is nothing here. Should have spent another eve in Amsterdam. I have read Hal leaves from here to save money on the locks. Walked the town this afternoon for awhile. Didn't see one person on the street. If I had it to do over would not stay in Ijmuiden. Just my opinion.
If I were in your shoes, I'd spend both nights on Rotterdam (V) in Rotterdam, and then go straight from there to IJmuiden on departure day. You're only an hour away from Amsterdam Centraal, and once you get there you're in the same position as anyone else who's spent the pre-cruise night in Amsterdam itself rather than IJmuiden.

Someone on the HAL forum had a plaintive bleat yesterday about IJmuiden being a dump:-If I were in your shoes, I'd spend both nights on Rotterdam (V) in Rotterdam, and then go straight from there to IJmuiden on departure day. You're only an hour away from Amsterdam Centraal, and once you get there you're in the same position as anyone else who's spent the pre-cruise night in Amsterdam itself rather than IJmuiden.

Agree 100%. Perhaps a beach walk in July and a drink at the marina or at one of the beach pavilions is the utmost of what to do.

But, that and seeing the ship when you open up the curtains and getting one hour more of sleep could be one's favour.

OP mentioned asked about staying near Schiphol Airport for a better connection to IJmuiden, for anyone's future reference; that's not the case. Due to higher hotel prices and less to do than Amsterdam, despite Schiphol being a really great airport with a lot of public facilities it's still an airport area in the end. Considering the same public transport travel time it would not be worth it.

Perhaps a short visit to the historic city of Haarlem is one of the things to do from IJmuiden port. Or a visit to the (small) race circuit in Zandvoort.

I agree with all of the above. IJmuiden is basicially a small industrial town which mainly exists because of the Tata Hoogovens Steelworks and the locks. The Holiday Inn is there because of the ferry/cruise port and for business travellers visiting the steel works. You can go to the beach, and there are some small B&B there too. There is really not much else there.

I did an internet search on public transport, only to find out that even ferry passengers who want to use the ferry to Newcastle have problems getting to the port independantly. There are regular busservices from Amsterdam and Haarlem, the only problem is that you have to walk 500-600 meters to the terminal with your luggage. Haarlem is a little nearer to IJmuiden, has a direct train from Rotterdam and a really nice old city centre.I found several taxi companies in Haarlem, who offers fixed priced rides to IJmuiden for 25-30 € for up to 4 persons.

I find it hard to believe HAL would not operate some kind of shuttle bus from Amsterdam or Schiphol.

Edited by UKBayern

Please note there are 2 terminals in IJmuiden. One for the ferry to Newcastle and another one is the cruise terminal. This last one is more closer to the Holiday Inn. Again use google maps to see the location.

Publicbus 82 from Amsterdam Marnixstraat (not Centraal Station) comes close to the cruise terminal. However you have to drag you luggage up a dyke with many steps from there. Also luggage storage in the bus might be limited if you bring much or large suitcases!

As far as I know HAL offers a shuttle from Amsterdam Sloterdijk station for around US$ 40,- per person, but please check this with HAL it might be different at the time of your sailing.

Edited by Ine

I just found out HAL offers a shuttle from the Renaissance Hotel (not too far from Centraal Station Amsterdam) to IJmuiden for US$ 40,- per person one way.

• 2 months later...
I just found out HAL offers a shuttle from the Renaissance Hotel (not too far from Centraal Station Amsterdam) to IJmuiden for US$ 40,- per person one way.

Thanks for your help So were would you suggest some one flying in to stay for one night before taking a cruise out of IJmuiden and wants to take a cab or shuttle service from the airport to the _____ hotel and the next day take a cab to the cruise ship pier?? thanks Marty