Post Cruise - What to do instead of sitting in the airport all day?

BeachyGirl64

Hi, looking for recommendations on how to kill some time in Miami before my 8:20 pm flight. I booked a tour off the cruise but it will drop me at the airport between 12:30 and 1:00 pm. Was wondering if I should just try to find a hotel to camp out for the day? I could buy a day pass to the lounge but still 7-8 hours is a long time to wait. Any ideas?

Take the Airport Flyer bus (about $3 each way) to South Beach - people watching, art-deco architecture, drinks, shopping, late lunch, beach, etc. You can pay to store your bags at MIA if the airline will not check them in early.

Both are great ideas. Rent a car if you really want to get out and explore. But if you decide on this option, do your research ahead of time and come up with the places you want to visit - there is so much to see and do. South Beach is also a great way to kill a day so the bus from the airport is a great idea too.

My suggestion is this: If you decide to rent a car, cancel the cruise tour and you can use the car to store your luggage and get around. This is probably what I would do instead of the tour. And put some effort into which sites you want to see and do. If you do the cruise tour, make sure you can drop your luggage at the airport prior to grabbing the South Beach bus... I believe MIA has bag storage services, as the airline probably don't take it that early, but you will want to make sure before you go, as you won't want to drag your bags around South Beach or anywhere else for that matter.

Both are great ideas. Rent a car if you really want to get out and explore. But if you decide on this option, do your research ahead of time and come up with the places you want to visit - there is so much to see and do. South Beach is also a great way to kill a day so the bus from the airport is a great idea too.

We will be renting a car from the Miami port and have a 7:30pm flight out of FLL.

We are thinking of doing an Everglades airboat ride. Possibly stopping at South Beach for a cocktail and people watch. Is it easy to find parking in the South Beach area?

Any other activities that you can suggest? We are active adults and like anything outside!

Thanks,

Nancy

We will be renting a car from the Miami port and have a 7:30pm flight out of FLL.

We are thinking of doing an Everglades airboat ride. Possibly stopping at South Beach for a cocktail and people watch. Is it easy to find parking in the South Beach area?

Any other activities that you can suggest? We are active adults and like anything outside!

Thanks,

Nancy

I guess if you haven't done airboats, it could be fun. Sawgrass Recreation is my favorite spot as they have a great little zoo area, too. It's just a pretty decent drive from Miami Beach and maybe not worth it unless it's something you really want to do.

Consider Wynwood and all the art walls. There is some great restaurants there, too. Good place to see.

Parking on South Beach is easy enough. They have lots everywhere. Just keep an eye out for them. I've never had a problem finding parking. Ocean Drive is great for people watching and South Pointe Park is really a great spot, too. I love South Pointe. If you like to walk, you can walk from Ocean to South Point easily.

I guess if you haven't done airboats, it could be fun. Sawgrass Recreation is my favorite spot as they have a great little zoo area, too. It's just a pretty decent drive from Miami Beach and maybe not worth it unless it's something you really want to do.

Consider Wynwood and all the art walls. There is some great restaurants there, too. Good place to see.

Parking on South Beach is easy enough. They have lots everywhere. Just keep an eye out for them. I've never had a problem finding parking. Ocean Drive is great for people watching and South Pointe Park is really a great spot, too. I love South Pointe. If you like to walk, you can walk from Ocean to South Point easily.

Thanks for the suggestions BNBR!

Last time we sailed out of Miami, we rented a car for the day and visited Vizcaya house and museum (http://www.vizcaya.org/). A very nice way to spend the day before our flight home.

Edited: looks like Vizcaya may be closed for some time due to storm damage from Irma. Check back closer to your sailing to see if it has reopened to the public.

we've the same problem with an all day wait. We've decided to self disembark and Uber to the luggage lounge at South beach. Leave our bags there $10 each then wander south beach, lunch etc. bus to airport ready to fly at 5pm. Bag storage at the airport is the same price but its a 10 mile walk across the airport to drop them then pick them up! so luggage lounge is best for us.

we've the same problem with an all day wait. We've decided to self disembark and Uber to the luggage lounge at South beach. Leave our bags there $10 each then wander south beach, lunch etc. bus to airport ready to fly at 5pm. Bag storage at the airport is the same price but its a 10 mile walk across the airport to drop them then pick them up! so luggage lounge is best for us.

That sounds like a great idea! Something to think about :confused:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I have a similar problem. We leave our ship at Port Canaveral and fly home from Orlando but not until 8pm. At the moment we have a transfer booked from the Port to the airport but don't want to spend all day there. I was interested to read that some airlines may book luggage in early- I need to look into this further.... I have 2 13 year olds who will need to be occupied for the day...any suggestions?

Many thanks

Fee Fee