JetStar & Virgin Australia Alliances

Jade13

Is JetStar (owned by Qantas) part of any airline alliance? I know Qantas is part of One World.

What about Virgin Australia? We just flew both within Australia, and not sure if we can get points with another airline.

We only received 25% mileage points on American for our flights to/from Australia and New Zealand, even though both airlines said we were receive 50% mileage credit before we departed. We are now told we had "O" tickets and so only would receive 25% on American (at least they added the points).

Thanks.

Is JetStar (owned by Qantas) part of any airline alliance? I know Qantas is part of One World.

What about Virgin Australia? We just flew both within Australia, and not sure if we can get points with another airline.

We only received 25% mileage points on American for our flights to/from Australia and New Zealand, even though both airlines said we were receive 50% mileage credit before we departed. We are now told we had "O" tickets and so only would receive 25% on American (at least they added the points).

Thanks.

Neither Jetstar nor Virgin Australia are members of any alliance, although both have partnerships with alliance members (e.g. Jetstar with Qantas, Virgin Australia with Delta.)

Here's AA's earning chart for Qantas. "O" earned 50% until Aug. 1 2013, 25% after. It's when you fly that counts, not when you purchase.

If you look on the airline partners page of Virgin Australia's frequent flyer scheme (Velocity) - https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com/content/Earn/Airlines/ - you'll see a number of partner airlines shown there.

Typically, earn/burn partnerships are reciprocal, so if you can earn Velocity points by flying airline X, you may well be able to earn airline X's frequent flyer miles/points by flying Virgin Australia. This is not 100% reliable or foolproof, but in the absence of any other easy and reliable way of finding out which airlines you can credit a Virgin Australia flight to, it's a start.

So if any of your usual airlines are shown on that page, then it's worth following up by going to that airline's frequent flyer scheme pages to see whether you can earn when flying Virgin Australia.

Neither Jetstar nor Virgin Australia are members of any alliance, although both have partnerships with alliance members (e.g. Jetstar with Qantas, Virgin Australia with Delta.)

Here's AA's earning chart for Qantas. "O" earned 50% until Aug. 1 2013, 25% after. It's when you fly that counts, not when you purchase.

Thank you for the explanation which makes sense on why I was told 50% mileage when I booked, but only received 25% mileage credit since the mileage awarded changed to 25% on Aug 1, 2013, which was before we flew in March and April 2014.

I am assuming that AA is paying for the points (when flying Qantas and requesting mileage be earned on AA), since they were quick to add the mileage when I called and gave them our Qantas ticket numbers over the phone.

At least AA gave us what they could without jumping through hoops (by phone), although I really need to verify.

Edited by Jade13

Info on DL SkyMiles earning for Virgin Australia marketed flights can be found HERE.

Be SURE to read all the fine print. DL is making partner earning both difficult, less rewarding and filled with caveats.

I will check it out. I think I may have placed DL numbers on our Virgin Australia flight (It was one way from SYD (Sydney) to AYQ (Ayers Rock/Uluru), but maybe no mileage could be earned).

We have flown over 20 airlines in the past 5 years and are finding out that mileage hasn't been credited on many of them. And some I am absolutely positive were given the partner airline information.

Edited by Jade13

Info on DL SkyMiles earning for Virgin Australia marketed flights can be found HERE.

Be SURE to read all the fine print. DL is making partner earning both difficult, less rewarding and filled with caveats.

It turned out that Delta had credited me 1,345 miles for that flight but my DH's Skymiles account number was missing, so even though we have the ticket number need to find the boarding pass (or get a copy to send in).

Delta was extremely helpful, and said they have no deadline for requesting missing mileage (and of course no expiration date).

What they gave me for the one flight within Australia was as much (or more) than AA for a single long haul flight from AUK-SYD-LA.

Thank you again.

Edited by Jade13

• 2 weeks later...

So, have we determined that no miles can be added in any airline program for a JetStar flight from Ayers Rock to Sydney?

We took this flight although Virgin Australia was recommended as it was scheduled to leave an hour later and offered us the ability to book a tour that was a full base walk around Uluru. As it turned out the flight schedule was moved up approx. 25 minutes and the Virgin Australia flight was really delayed and was still on the runway when we departed.

Edited by Jade13