Is this a good deal?

CoutureChiQ

278 airfare plus 20.80 taxes and fees= 298.80 roundtrip non stop from LAX to MIA from 9/29, returning 10/7. Do you all think the price will drop more on these miami flights? I am looking at AA and the flights seems pretty empty...Help! To book or not to book?

278 airfare plus 20.80 taxes and fees= 298.80 roundtrip non stop from LAX to MIA from 9/29, returning 10/7. Do you all think the price will drop more on these miami flights? I am looking at AA and the flights seems pretty empty...Help! To book or not to book?

Decent price. Book it-especially as there are still seats available on the nonstops. There are not a lot of sales, as LAX/MIA is a heavily traveled route. The seat map may look empty going to MIA, but looking at the actual seats that are available on the return-most of the "cheap seats" are gone, unless you want to fly home after 7:00PM.

Just for comparison, Jet Blue has a cheap red eye flight going from Long Beach to FLL on the 28th (arrive at 5:30AM on the 29th) for $109 + taxes. But coming home, all the flights that work with your cruise (after noon departure) are in the $300.00 one way range. So over $100 more.

Does anyone know how many seats are "budget" seats on any given flight?
There is no fixed number, and the allocation can change from minute to minute. Everything is variable as airline tickets probably constitute the biggest, wildest, most volatile and most unpredictable commodity market on earth.

There have been times when I've been able to see (say) 8 seats in the lowest (and cheapest) booking class on a flight. After pricing for two people, that booking class can suddenly get zeroed out. I usually have the nerve to wait a couple of days to see what happens. As often as not, the cheap seats come back - sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes it takes a day or two. But sometimes it never happens. So just because the airline is prepared to sell you 8 seats for x price now, it doesn't mean that selling two might cause it to withdraw all the rest. It's an arcane business.

I really appreciate everyone's help and input. I am still undecided though...I might wait a day or two and see what happens. Does anyone know how many seats are "budget" seats on any given flight?

Budget priced seats are based on demand. So each flight and schedule can be different as stated above. The price usually "ladders" up as the time gets nearer.

Yesterday, the airfare from LAX to MIA was around 300 per person, total with all taxes...today, it went up to 400 per person including taxes and fees! This is for the same exact non-stop, roundtrip flight. Good thing I had it reserved!

But does anyone know what happened overnight?

This is what air fares do. They are set by market conditions and supply and demand. They are a big commodity market - like the stock market, only more complicated.

If you like the price, book it. If it gets cheaper tomorrow, you still got a price you liked. If it gets more expensive tomorrow, you've haven't lost out on a deal you're happy with.

I guess the definition of a "good deal" is are you comfortable paying the price for the tickets. Just as with anything in life if you feel comfortable paying it's a "good deal" for example the price of a gallon of milk in the regular supermarkets are over $4 a gallon. But at the cheapo food store it's $2.69 for a gallon. I don't feel comfortable paying $4 so I go and pay $2.69. Same was with an airline ticket. For my cruise to the Mediterranean in Oct we paid $663 RT. I felt it was a fair deal. My sister thought it was too high. But the price didn't come down. In fact the airline started charging an "fuel surcharge" $140 per ticket. But since we did book it at $663. We got a "good deal". If we waited, well.........wouldn't of been a good deal.

Archived