Careful what you say on an airplane??

SheriNtexas

These days, darn near anything can be misinterpreted in the airline environment.

My policy when dealing with security, flight crew, and even flight attendants is: I don't speak unless spoken to, and then I only answer the question, and in as few words as possible. It's sad, and one of many things that has taken all the fun out of flying.

Another glaring example of just how ridiculous and stupid things have gotten since 9/11.

[Q] From Stephen Wan, Australia: “I’m looking for the origins of the Australian slang phrase fair dinkum, which I’m told originates from Chinese. It means real, and is used to allay any potential disbelief about some claim the speaker is making. Apparently, Chinese gold miners in the nineteenth century would tell others of any discoveries of gold using the phrase din gum meaning ‘real gold’ in Chinese.”

[A] It’s an excellent story, and for all I know the Chinese words do really mean that. I’ve encountered the story before: it’s recorded in a 1984 issue of the Sydney Morning Herald, no doubt among many other places. It’s just another example, I’m afraid, of folk etymology — a well-meaning attempt to clarify the puzzling and explain the obscure.

Most dictionaries published outside Australia and New Zealand are unhelpful, just saying “origin unknown”. But it seems very possible that it comes from an old English dialect term, which is recorded principally in Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary of 1896-1905. He found several examples of dinkum in various parts of England in the sense of a fair or due share of work. He also encountered fair dinkum in Lincolnshire, used in the same way that people might exclaim fair dos! as a request for fair dealing. But there’s no clue where this word comes from, and dictionaries are cautious because it is not well recorded.

It turns up first in Australian writing in 1888 in Robbery Under Arms by Rolf Boldrewood, in which it had the sense of work or exertion: “It took us an hour’s hard dinkum to get near the peak”. Early on it could also mean something honest, reliable or genuine, though this is actually first recorded in New Zealand, in 1905. Fair dinkum is recorded from 1890 in the sense of fair play, and soon after in the way that Australians and New Zealanders still use it — of something reliable or genuine. There have been lots of related phrases since, like dinkum oil for an accurate report.

For me, being about as far from Australia as it’s possible to get on this planet, the word brings to mind Robert Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, about a future penal colony on the moon in which everyone speaks a weird patois containing elements of Australian and Russian slang. The sentient computer at the centre of the story is described as “a fair dinkum thinkum”. Go figure.

If you have a friend named Jack never say HI Jack

Or "Water Buffalo"

The "water buffalo incident" was a controversy at the University of Pennsylvania in 1993. Student Eden Jacobowitz was charged with violating Penn's racial harassment policy. He had shouted, "Shut up, you water buffalo," out his window to a crowd of mostly black Delta Sigma Theta sorority sisters creating a ruckus outside his dorm. Others had shouted at the crowd, including several who shouted racial epithets, but Jacobowitz was the only one charged.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_buffalo_incident

Don't remember the director's name, but I THINK he was in Mexico, and when they asked the purpose of going wherever he was going, he told them he was there to shoot a pilot!! 6 hours later they determined he was not a threat, after they finally understood that he was there to DIRECT the shooting of a pilot for a new series!!:D :eek:

These days, darn near anything can be misinterpreted in the airline environment.

My policy when dealing with security, flight crew, and even flight attendants is: I don't speak unless spoken to, and then I only answer the question, and in as few words as possible. It's sad, and one of many things that has taken all the fun out of flying.

And that survival behavior, which our inane rules encourage, should set off red flags if we operated in a truly secure air system. That is one of the ways which trained interogators determine a person of interest. Minimal conversation and answering questions with very short answers with no expansion on the answer are signs of needing to hide something.:mad:

I much prefer cruise line security to that of the TSA.

Doc

If you read on the TSA website for traveling with children it says:

Tips before the airport:

Talk to your children before you come to the airport and let them know that it's against the law to make threats such as, "I have a bomb in my bag." Threats made jokingly (even by a child) can delay the entire family and could result in fines.

Tips at the Airport:

Speak to your children again about the screening process so that they will not be frightened or surprised. Remind them not to joke about threats such as bombs or explosives.

Talk to your children before you come to the airport and let them know that it's against the law to make threats such as, "I have a bomb in my bag." Threats made jokingly (even by a child) can delay the entire family and could result in fines.

As if children listen to their parents.

And that survival behavior, which our inane rules encourage, should set off red flags if we operated in a truly secure air system. That is one of the ways which trained interogators determine a person of interest. Minimal conversation and answering questions with very short answers with no expansion on the answer are signs of needing to hide something.:mad:

Wow, I never thought of it that way. On the other hand, a passenger who talks "too much" could be trying to hide something by being over-friendly? Sheesh. What's an ordinary non-terrorist passenger supposed to do?

I agree with your implication that the air system is NOT "truly secure." IMO, most of what we passengers can see is simply expensive window-dressing. Meanwhile, real threats (like virtually no inspection of incoming cargo, and our oh-so-vulnerable food industry) go unaddressed.

Last weekend we were flying home from Orlando and I noticed a sign at the entrance to the security screening area to the effect that making "jokes" about bombs, etc, is a crime and may result in fines, etc.

All the more reason to take the process seriously; they certainly do!

In Miami a few weeks before 9-11 an 83 year old woman was upset because they wanted to check her purse at the airport. She had her medications in her purse, and she told them, "What do you think I have a bomb in my purse?" because she was so upset. They ended up arresting her, but later dropped the charges because of the incident on 9/11.

My kids do fly a few times a year with us, so I do hope they know how to act. My oldest I can talk to and warn him each time not to say anything even joking around, but my 4 year old!! O'boy!! If I dare to warn him right before we get to the airport or the screeners...well...then I might have just told him to yell out in public!! I talk to them in the days leading up to it, hope it sticks in their heads, and then the day of, I keep saying prayers!!

Terry

As if children listen to their parents.

We went on the Miracle out of Baltimore in May 2004. The ship is great and it was an easy drive for us to Baltimore. I am on Cruise Critic alot and have never seen anybody post from Wilmington, DE. We live in Newark, DE. We are going on the Carnival Liberty 9/23/07 it can come fast enough. It is pretty neat we are Platinum with Carnival which is very nice. Hope you have a great cruise on the Miracle. :)

Archived