Shark Ray/Caye Caulker with Coral Breeze

1cruisingal

We used Coral Breeze just last week for the Shark Ray Alley tour. We pre-booked, as did everyone else on our boat. The parties were divided by cruise ship to better coordinate with the tenders. Not sure how or if walk ups would work. They are actually located just outside the gated pier area so you won't just see their stand as soon as you get off the ship. Pre-booking is very easy online and they will send you an email shortly before sailing with clear instructions on how and where to meet them.

I cannot say enough good things about this excursion. The guides were excellent. They were very accommodating, friendly, interesting, timely and safety conscious. Our boat took a slightly off-course route to Caye Caulker through the mangroves in hope of spotting some dolphins, and sure enough there were 4 right near our boat at one point. The captain stopped the boat for a bit so we could watch them.

From there we went to Caye Caulker for a quick break to order lunch for after snorkeling and use the restroom. The snorkeling was a lot of fun but honestly this is only my second time ever so I don't have a lot to compare it to. We broke off into small groups, each with our own guide, with each group going at their own pace based on ability. Shark Ray Alley was cool and the waters are pretty shallow there so even my kids (who were only signed up as observers) could get in and swim with the dozens of Rays that were around. Unfortunately we didn't see many sharks that day.

Finally we went back to Caye Caulker for lunch. The island is incredibly beautiful and laid back. I enjoyed the snorkeling but also wished I could have spent more time here. What a great place!

Our guide made sure we left the island on time to make it back to the tenders without cutting it close. I would definitely use Coral Breeze again if I ever make it back to Belize. Next time though I would probably skip the snorkel and just use them for the ride to Caye Caulker. Again, nothing against the snorkeling experience at all; it's just that I would like some time to see a little more of the island.

I should probably mention that if you really can't handle small boats then this may not be the tour for you. The ride is a bit bumpy at times and they were going pretty fast. It felt like a very safe ride but my wife gets seasick pretty easily and I don't think she was fully enjoying that aspect of it.

We used Coral Breeze just last week for the Shark Ray Alley tour. We pre-booked, as did everyone else on our boat. The parties were divided by cruise ship to better coordinate with the tenders. Not sure how or if walk ups would work. They are actually located just outside the gated pier area so you won't just see their stand as soon as you get off the ship. Pre-booking is very easy online and they will send you an email shortly before sailing with clear instructions on how and where to meet them.

I cannot say enough good things about this excursion. The guides were excellent. They were very accommodating, friendly, interesting, timely and safety conscious. Our boat took a slightly off-course route to Caye Caulker through the mangroves in hope of spotting some dolphins, and sure enough there were 4 right near our boat at one point. The captain stopped the boat for a bit so we could watch them.

From there we went to Caye Caulker for a quick break to order lunch for after snorkeling and use the restroom. The snorkeling was a lot of fun but honestly this is only my second time ever so I don't have a lot to compare it to. We broke off into small groups, each with our own guide, with each group going at their own pace based on ability. Shark Ray Alley was cool and the waters are pretty shallow there so even my kids (who were only signed up as observers) could get in and swim with the dozens of Rays that were around. Unfortunately we didn't see many sharks that day.

Finally we went back to Caye Caulker for lunch. The island is incredibly beautiful and laid back. I enjoyed the snorkeling but also wished I could have spent more time here. What a great place!

Our guide made sure we left the island on time to make it back to the tenders without cutting it close. I would definitely use Coral Breeze again if I ever make it back to Belize. Next time though I would probably skip the snorkel and just use them for the ride to Caye Caulker. Again, nothing against the snorkeling experience at all; it's just that I would like some time to see a little more of the island.

I should probably mention that if you really can't handle small boats then this may not be the tour for you. The ride is a bit bumpy at times and they were going pretty fast. It felt like a very safe ride but my wife gets seasick pretty easily and I don't think she was fully enjoying that aspect of it.

So nice to hear from someone who has been to Caye Caulker recently. We are wanting to go but have a few with mobility issues, did you see any of the gold cart rentals. Also, is there anywhere that we can rent beach chairs and umbrellas? If you have any pictures and wouldn't mind sharing them that would be great. TIA

2 hours ago I went on coral Breeze website, reserved our spot for snorkeling and paid my deposit. I received a confirmation email immediately after. An hour ago I received an email from Mark at Coral Breeze telling me that they are deleting my reservation because they will only servicing two ships that day and my ship wasn't one of them. We were looking forward to using Coral Breeze, so this is disappointing. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a tour boat that will take us snorkeling to Shark Ray alley/Caye caulker?

2 hours ago I went on coral Breeze website, reserved our spot for snorkeling and paid my deposit. I received a confirmation email immediately after. An hour ago I received an email from Mark at Coral Breeze telling me that they are deleting my reservation because they will only servicing two ships that day and my ship wasn't one of them. We were looking forward to using Coral Breeze, so this is disappointing. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a tour boat that will take us snorkeling to Shark Ray alley/Caye caulker?

Your cruise ship should have that excursion. I know Carnival and Royal both have it. Shark Ray and Beach.

If not, EcoTours has it as well.

http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/snorkeling.html

So nice to hear from someone who has been to Caye Caulker recently. We are wanting to go but have a few with mobility issues, did you see any of the gold cart rentals. Also, is there anywhere that we can rent beach chairs and umbrellas? If you have any pictures and wouldn't mind sharing them that would be great. TIA

We just went last week. It was AMAZING!! We liked it so much we are planning a week or more there for fall or early next year.

As far as mobility issues.....getting in and out of the boat was difficult for some. We had a woman onboard that had bad knees and they almost had to lower her into the boat (which made for an akward experience for both her and the boat guys). In addition, we had to make a walk through town about 10 minutes to the boat dock. It was not hard, but it was hot and someone with mobility issues might have to head out early. We walked fast. The ride in the boat was not terribly comfortable, as it's just a long flat fishing type boat, no shade, no cusioned seats and it was BUMPY!! I literally have a bruised butt, but it was all worth it once we got there. Star from Coral Breeze actually set up the golf cart rentals for us so they were there shortly after we got to land. Super simple and easy. They had us sign a waiver, paid them cash and away we went (we had 2 carts for the 4 of us). GREAT place to explore.

When it comes to chairs and umbrellas, though. Not sure. We literally spent most of the time cruising around, making stops at a beachside grill for conch on a stick, buckets of beer, a couple frozen margos and a few other foods and delicious drinks. There is a "beach" sort of but nothing glamorous. The waters right near the shore were grassy, so not tempting to go in. Plenty of shade under the palms that lined the beach though. The only people we saw swimming (and there were quite a few) was at "The Split" at the north end of the island where there were people snorkeling, SUPing and just hanging out in the water and the sun.

Time flew by. Can't wait to go back.

As far as mobility issues.....getting in and out of the boat was difficult for some. We had a woman onboard that had bad knees and they almost had to lower her into the boat (which made for an akward experience for both her and the boat guys). .

So you were on the same excursion as us :) That was my mom!! I was trying to figure out which one you were.

They SWORE she wouldn't have any problems getting on or off. We checked ahead of time. I am glad they were so accommodating, but had we known it would have been like that ahead of time, we wouldn't have booked it.

So you were on the same excursion as us :) That was my mom!! I was trying to figure out which one you were.

They SWORE she wouldn't have any problems getting on or off. We checked ahead of time. I am glad they were so accommodating, but had we known it would have been like that ahead of time, we wouldn't have booked it.

Yes, I know who you are now! We were the two couples that did not snorkel. My husband is a great big guy. They made him move on the way back to even out the weight. LOL. We Loved Caye Caulker, but felt bad for your Mom. She was a great sport!!! I still have bruises on my butt from the ride out there. I was not smart enough to sit on my life jacket.....ugggh.

Still really enjoyed the trip.

We also just got back from our cruise last week and we went to Shark Ray alley, coral gardens and Caulker Cay. We went with Coral Breeze and they did a very good job. The coral gardens area was really neat with a lot of beautiful coral and tropical fish. I saw a cutter fish that was neat and my husband saw a huge white angel fish and a 4ft. green eel. I would highly recommend this tour. I do agree the boat ride out there was bumpy but coming back isn't bad.

We also just got back from our cruise last week and we went to Shark Ray alley, coral gardens and Caulker Cay. We went with Coral Breeze and they did a very good job. The coral gardens area was really neat with a lot of beautiful coral and tropical fish. I saw a cutter fish that was neat and my husband saw a huge white angel fish and a 4ft. green eel. I would highly recommend this tour. I do agree the boat ride out there was bumpy but coming back isn't bad.

Do you think someone who has bad knees would be able to do this tour? I have read it's not easiest getting in and out of the boat.

Do you think someone who has bad knees would be able to do this tour? I have read it's not easiest getting in and out of the boat.

The issue will be getting into and out of the boat. There will be plenty of help at the docks, but it's not a breeze. Not sure about the snorkeling part, as we just went to the island. We had no issues, but some needed lots of hands to help onboard. Once onboard, you are fine.

On Caye Caulker, it's a very easy walk. Nice flat hard packed roads.

The issue will be getting into and out of the boat. There will be plenty of help at the docks, but it's not a breeze. Not sure about the snorkeling part, as we just went to the island. We had no issues, but some needed lots of hands to help onboard. Once onboard, you are fine.

On Caye Caulker, it's a very easy walk. Nice flat hard packed roads.

What makes it so hard getting in and out of the boat? Do you have any pictures of it?

What makes it so hard getting in and out of the boat? Do you have any pictures of it?

I have video, might have a photo, but haven't downloaded yet. It's a smallish boat and the pier in Belize City is very high. You have to step very low from the pier onto the edge of the boat, then down 3 steps into the boat. The boat was about 3 feet lower than the pier to the first step so if you could not squat down, or bend both legs (as is what happened to one of the ladies on our trip), the team had to literally hold her under her arms and lower her down to the boat. I'll try and find a photo.

The boat was like this one in the front of the pier.

2034993672_CaulkerBoat.jpg.fc4628e1cb8ab1b96cc95d1b58fa8408.jpg

If we just want to go to Cay Caulker for the day, is the water taxi a good/better option?

It is a good option. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back. You can also go through Coral Breeze and just do Caye Caulker with them -- that way you know for sure you will be back onboard alright. I have done the water taxi and no issues. Just know your time -- difference between SHIP time and LOCAL time. Water Taxis, obviously, run on local time. Some people get confused with that part.

Edited by BrotherCraig

I have video, might have a photo, but haven't downloaded yet. It's a smallish boat and the pier in Belize City is very high. You have to step very low from the pier onto the edge of the boat, then down 3 steps into the boat. The boat was about 3 feet lower than the pier to the first step so if you could not squat down, or bend both legs (as is what happened to one of the ladies on our trip), the team had to literally hold her under her arms and lower her down to the boat. I'll try and find a photo.

The boat was like this one in the front of the pier.

Oh wow, now I see why everyone says it's such a bumpy ride. Not sure I want out on a boat like that.

Thanks for posting!

Oh wow, now I see why everyone says it's such a bumpy ride. Not sure I want out on a boat like that.

Thanks for posting!

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/popup/gallery_popup.html?Gallery=298

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/popup/gallery_popup.html?Gallery=105

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/popup/gallery_popup.html?Gallery=85

Edited by BrotherCraig

BrotherCraig, I wished we were on that boat! Nope, we had the small little fishing skiff type of boat. It was fun, but soooo bumpy on the way out. The ride back was much smoother and went very fast. The ride out felt like it took forever!

We had about 20-24 on our tour. It was a packed little boat.

I guess you have to go with an open mind no knowing what type of water transport you will have!! :)

BrotherCraig, I wished we were on that boat! Nope, we had the small little fishing skiff type of boat. It was fun, but soooo bumpy on the way out. The ride back was much smoother and went very fast. The ride out felt like it took forever!

We had about 20-24 on our tour. It was a packed little boat.

I guess you have to go with an open mind no knowing what type of water transport you will have!! :)

Yeah, I have seen those out there. Sorry you got that one. Definitely not a smooth one.

Not without being lifted in and out of the boat like my mother was -- she has had both knees replaced.

• 5 weeks later...

HI we did this tour with Coral Breezes before and enjoyed the snorkelling and day at the caye, the only thing we didn't like was the ride there and back as it was super crowded and barely and room to sit comfortably, had to pretty much sit sideways to make room for everyone and it was quite a long boat ride. Not sure I would do that again....

Leah

• 3 weeks later...

We are thinking about going to Caye Caulker. How much is a golf cart rental for the day or hour? And if you are an observer do you still get to go on the boat and watch? We have a couple of children that I'm not sure would get into the water.