Delta Companion ticket

Illuminations2k

Okay Cruise Critic experts! Need some advice on what I should do.

The details are that my family and I (5 total) are traveling from SLC-MIA for a cruise from 12/17/16-12/24/16.

I have a companion ticket on DL (Platinum Amex holder) as well as a $500 voucher. Knowing that it is prime holiday travel I'm feeling that I need to redeem the companion ticket very early (the travel dates actually open tomorrow for booking) since availability will most likely be very low.

Would you recommend that I book it immediately along with the three additional tickets or should I book the companion ticket but then monitor the price to see if prices drop?

Hopefully that makes sense, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Okay Cruise Critic experts! Need some advice on what I should do.

The details are that my family and I (5 total) are traveling from SLC-MIA for a cruise from 12/17/16-12/24/16.

I have a companion ticket on DL (Platinum Amex holder) as well as a $500 voucher. Knowing that it is prime holiday travel I'm feeling that I need to redeem the companion ticket very early (the travel dates actually open tomorrow for booking) since availability will most likely be very low.

Would you recommend that I book it immediately along with the three additional tickets or should I book the companion ticket but then monitor the price to see if prices drop?

Hopefully that makes sense, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry a bit confused...I've never had any problems when (booking) using a companion ticket...not the same as when using miles....at least what has been my experience with DL which I tend to use often.

No worries. I called this morning to utilize the companion ticket and there were no eligible flights from any southern Florida airport on the return flight which is Christmas Eve.

I ended up using my $500 voucher on one ticket, paying cash for another, and using Skymiles for the remaining three tickets.

It was a little frustrating that I couldn't use the companion ticket on the very first day that it had opened up; however, I understand the law of supply/demand.

Anyway, guess my wife and I will need to plan another trip somewhere with the companion ticket! :)

I sure hope that you didn't buy THREE tickets using points as cash. That's a terrible value (one cent per mile).

Did you consider flying on Dec 25th? Probably a lot less demand, your ticket would have been cheaper, you could likely use the companion cert and get award tix at a low rate.

Just my two kopeks.

No, no, no...I just redeemed three of the flights as award tickets. Didn't do the Pay with Miles.

I wouldn't have minded staying the 24th and coming home on Christmas but my wife was a little less flexible for that. ;) Lots of family to get back for.

I understand that it may not be the best use of miles; however, there's always a trade-off with all things. It's done and I'll live with the consequences, at least it's off my mind. That's what happens when you choose to travel at super peak season.

Edited by Illuminations2k