Verona

Lovincruisin1321

I've been to Verona, but not when on a cruise. I think the only itinerary which would be feasible would be one calling at Venice. I don't know whether there would be a ship excursion to Verona though. I've never heard of anyone doing one, probably because most people want to explore Venice. However, if you wanted to do it yourself I think it would only be around an hour on the train.

We actually spent a few nights in Verona (to see the fantastic opera at the arena) while on an extended driving trip in Italy (have done several of these long driving trips). If you want to go to Verona during a port day it is easy to accomplish from Venice. You just take the People Mover from the port over to the Piazale Roma, walk over the foot bridge to the train station and grab a train (about 1:15 - 1:30 each way). The central part of Verona is very walkable. Another option is to just rent a car from one of the agencies located in the P. Roma and drive yourself. I can make the drive in about 1:15.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We took a ship excursion to Verona from the port of Venice. That was 2012 on the Breeze, which no longer goes to Europe.

You might try looking at various cruises that have Venice on the itinerary and then go to the cruise line ship excursions for that port stop. Holland America for example, shows that they have an excursion to Verona from there. We loved our visit to Verona.

But if you have not spent any or much time in Venice, it should be the priority.

We say Verona when driving from Florence to Venice and on to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Montenegro.

We stayed one night in Verona which was enough, though if there were an opera performance on in the Roman Arena, I would have wanted to stay for that.