Lipault 22" Carry On...thoughts?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1688226-21-roller-too-much-ask.html

One respondent uses the motherlode convertible (no wheels) with a larger backpack (not overstuffed) as a personal item for longer trips.

I have done non-wheeled trips and I do not like it! Makes airport transfers hard, but boy does it teach you what you really *don't* need to pack:eek: (have to take smushy bags on certain kinds of trips, those involving small sailboats and small airplanes;))

Thanks for your detailed input. I've always liked my Eagle Creek pieces (I have 3 in different sizes) and your post confirms my preference for 2 sturdy wheels rather than the spinners.

I sort of thought the size difference would boil down to 1 less outfit + 1 less pair of shoes. That's a tough one. I don't tend to take very many "extras" though. No travel pillow. :D (And I plan to have a reasonably large tote: the Lo & Sons OG bag.)

I'm more of a structured packer in general and I don't use packing cubes, so duffels and less structured bags aren't my favorite -- one reason why the B&R bag looks appealing. The "Transcend" international model is on sale right now but only in the green color (I prefer black).

I know you'll agree that one needs a (wide!) variety of luggage for different kinds of trips. :D

Edited by cruisemom42

I love my B&R bag, but it is my heaviest bag. When I traveled on business I used it as it is almost indestructible (the one or two times I checked a bag)

I can't remember the line right now but my B&R bag is not one of the heavier canvas models - it is a lighter nylon. But yes, still heavier than EC.

I thought I would love the EC duffel, but no, I don't really love it - I can't stuff it as much as I'd want and it's harder to pack than the more structured. Live and learn. Got it on great sale at least ;-)

I love my 20" Eagle Creek and so does my husband - he's bummed he couldn't find one like it (in the past couple years, it's been very hard to find 2 wheel bags in that size instead of spinners - he ended up getting a Northface small wheeled duffel for international travel instead).

I do have a 22" briggs & riley (bought at Sierra Trading Post during a 40% sale, but my Eagle Creek was bought at the Amazon outlet so even cheaper). I love both bags and use both bags (we also have 22" Eagle Creek and 25" Eagle Creek - I might have mentioned I have a bag obsession? And so does my husband...)

I am still working on the ideal packing combo - a 20" rolling carry-on and tote isn't quite enough space for me for a week or two of European travel, esp because we tend to travel in the cold(er) seasons. But my husband and I can each do a 20" and small tote or backpack carry-on and share a 22" checked bag for a European trip. For my work trips to Asia, in warm weather I can do the 20" with a tote carry-on (and I pack a le sportsace nylon duffel so I can check something on the return if I go shopping).

I could choose a larger personal item to pack more (as Susan does at Une Femme) but - esp for work - I want to have a business tote to use during the trip - and that can be limiting.

Really, if I could get better at avoiding those "what if" items, it wouldn't be a problem! Again - esp in Europe (and on leisure trips) if I need something, it's not that hard to find.

I replied to a thread on Flyertalk recently - guy looking for a 20" roller and only being able to find spinners - the TLS Motherlode at ebags is looking good, and there had been coupons recently, bringing the price down quite nicely. I don't think STP has anything that size right now, but I always look. Because, addiction;)

ETA difference in space in packing - I've never really done side by side (and I also have a 22" EC rolling duffel that I find volume wise to be in between the 20" and 22" more structured rolling bags) i would say it's one extra outfit and a hair appliance or pair of shoes difference. Or my travel pillow. If I bring a 22" rolling bag, I can easily fit my travel pillow inside. But if I use the 20", the travel pillow gets clipped on the outside of my tote with its carabiner ;-) B&R bags are usually heavier than EC, but not all styles, and the difference isn't usually that great.

We have two 20" Eagle Creek bags, one a Hovercraft and the other a Velocity. Nether is still in production. We loved the bags and both have held up well but last year we booked a flight on Air Canada. At the time Air Canada was cracking down on carry on bags by both measuring and weighting carry on bags. As I remember both bags were advertised as 20"X14"X9" but when I measured them for the trip I discovered Eagle Creek, as many luggage manufactures at the time didn't include the wheels in their measurement.

Each bags were near 9" at the top but both were closer to 10 1/2" at the wheel.

Have you ever measured yours?

Shak

Edited by Shak

Have you ever measured yours?

Shak

Nope.

For Eagle creek, I have the 22" EC ADventure Upright, 19" and 25" Hovercraft, and I can't find the name of the duffel because I don't remember where I bought it ;-)

My B&R is the BRX Explore.

Edited by Hoyaheel