Excursion in Tortola

T400PSY

We're sailing on the Escape in a few days time, however I haven't booked any excursions as I've read that it's more expensive to booked through NCL and was going to wait until we get to the ports.

Any suggestions of good and reputable companies I can book excursions with once we docked at Tortola? Thanks in advance

Hi Blue Water,

I'm interested in beach snorkeling in Tortola, if there is such a thing. I had originally booked the NCL excursion to the Baths, but it looks like the rating on their website has been increased from moderate to strenuous, and the more I read, the more I'm having second thoughts. Do you know of any snorkeling options that might be less intense?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

CTGen04

Hi Blue Water -- this is an addendum to earlier post:

I just saw your post from July 2015 on a different thread - you mention Brewers Bay for beach snorkeling. We'll be on the Gem with time in Tortola from 7-1. How far is Brewers Bay - do you think this would work with those time constraints?

Thank you!

CTGen04

Hi! Yes even with a short day I think Brewers would be the best choice. It's a 20 - 25 min taxi and about $8pp each way. Small beach shack (Nicole's) serves food and drinks and rents lounges. Brewers is a popular snorkel beach but doesn't usually get really crowded except when a large group from the ship goes there.

Have a great cruise!

Hi! Yes even with a short day I think Brewers would be the best choice. It's a 20 - 25 min taxi and about $8pp each way. Small beach shack (Nicole's) serves food and drinks and rents lounges. Brewers is a popular snorkel beach but doesn't usually get really crowded except when a large group from the ship goes there.

Have a great cruise!

Blue Water, as you know , we are big fans of Brewers ... but, but, but, wondering if you really think there is enough time since they'll have to be back to the ship no later than 12:30?

LuLu

Blue Water, as you know , we are big fans of Brewers ... but, but, but, wondering if you really think there is enough time since they'll have to be back to the ship no later than 12:30?

LuLu

lol...I hear ya Lulu! But where there's a will...:)

If you want to snorkel for a few hours off a nice beach Brewers is the spot. You would have to head out early to make it a nice day, yes...

I would hate to see folks stick close to port, so if it seems not worth the effort one of the island tours from the dock would be nice too...

We were there in October with the same port time of 7 - 1. We're not early risers but we managed to get off the ship shortly after 8:00, and we got a taxi to Brewers Bay. Beautiful beach! There were only about 3 other small groups from the ship. Though we would have loved to have more time there, we arranged our return taxi for 11:30 so we had about 3 hours there. Well worth it!

I would advise you to arrange the return with your taxi driver, ours spoke with a couple other taxis who were there, and they arranged to put us on a taxi with some other people who were going back about the same time. If there aren't a lot of people there from the ship, there may not be any taxis waiting.

You're riding over the spine of the island and there are very steep sections, and there are also switchbacks where needed to get over steeper areas. The roads dropping into Brewers and CGB are also quite steep. We drive these roads when we stay on Tortola and don't have a problem, but for your first time here and in a safari taxi it can be a thrill. But you will have some spectacular views on the way!

Thank you both for the reply. Nikki908, how was the trip to Brewers? The roads have been described as steep with hairpin turns and some scary moments. Did you find this to be the case?

If you go to the NCL board and look at CamaCama's review of the Escape, she has pictures of her trip (including the roads/views) to Brewer's Bay.

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate the time and effort that you all put into your responses -- this is such a valuable resource! I'll check out that review -- sounds like it will be a birds-eye view. Thank you all again!

CTGen04

The roads are steep and twisty in places, but I didn't find it scary at all, maybe we just lucked out and got cautious drivers :) Our driver on the way back talked about how she takes it slow and beeps her horn before entering the narrow parts of the road because she hates to back up if she meets another vehicle. It was very interesting, the views and things you see along the way.

We went to Brewers off the Escape last week.

By the time we all ate and reunited outside the ship it was probably 945 or so. We arranged for the driver to pick us up there at 1pm so that some people could shop in port before reboarding. I choose this moment to end the fun part of my trip and get sick, so we just reboarded. Trip was $8 per person each way and you don't pay until you return to port. Our driver was very friendly and came out to the beach to let us know when he had returned and to see if he could pick us up closer to where we were sitting rather than make us all walk back to the parking lot. The drive was breathtaking.

It was a short beach day, but long enough for all of us to have fun and do what we wanted. We had a few rain showers while we were there, but standing out in the ocean, it wasn't that bad. My husband rented a snorkel set and said it was good, but not as great as Coki Beach in St. Thomas.

The beach is gorgeous. Lots of shade available. It was sparsely populated while we were there. We did not have great experiences with Nicole's, but the drink fetchers seemed happier with the service that they received at the other end of the beach.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Blue Water,

I'm interested in beach snorkeling in Tortola, if there is such a thing. I had originally booked the NCL excursion to the Baths, but it looks like the rating on their website has been increased from moderate to strenuous, and the more I read, the more I'm having second thoughts. Do you know of any snorkeling options that might be less intense?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

CTGen04

Blue Water recommended Spring Bay for our family since The Baths sounded too strenuous for me. I have bad knees, and a stair phobia, and from what it sounds like, Spring Bay has the boulders in the water and is a beautiful alternative. I have emailed Speedy's to get information about a trip to Spring Bay for us in February. Awaiting their response!

• 3 weeks later...

I know there are a variety of tour options (some with a beach stop and some without) right at the pier when you walk ashore and the staff at the visitor center can help you. You should find one that shows off the beauty of Tortola along with amazing panoramic views of the other islands.