Help Please...Airtran vs Continental

Lois R

Hi, I had posted another thread "You live and Learn"...well,

Delta changed my flight AGAIN:eek: and after speaking with

a very nice supervisor I was fully refunded my $. She told me

if a change is causing a 90 minute or more difference the passenger

can get a refund with NO penalty. This was about the 5th change.

Now, Airtran and Continental both fly from here to Seattle.

Airtran connects in Atlanta....Continental in Houston.

Both are less than Delta...Airtran by about 25.00 and

Continental by about 75.00.

Both arrive the evening before my cruise (which is what

I want).

Can I get some feedback on both airlines?

Thanks for the help.:)

AirTran has very good (I think the best, actually, excluding the two Hawaiin based carriers) on-time record recntly. Also, Atlanta -- not my favorite airport by any means) has a better on-time record than Houston. Con has one of the worst record So, judging simply on gross statistics, AirTran seems better in that regard.

Similarly, AirTran has one of the best mishandled baggage ratings.

So, if what you care about is getting there (with your luggage), the statisitcs seems to suggest AirTran.

Paul

What is meant by "Con has one of the worst recrods"? Which statistics are you looking at?

I've flown Continental extensviely in the past year (25,000 miles+, domestic & international) and I wouldn't have done so much on one carrier if things didn't work well.

Some pros about Continental:

- they still feed you during meal times, EVEN IN COACH, on ALL flights.

- they have one of the most professional flight crews up in the skys (none of the attitude you might find on other airlines)

I've had no trouble with connection on CO as well. Transferring through IAH is typically easy. Usually the only delays being weather related, something that can happen at all airports. Also in flying with CO over the past 10 years, they have never lost a piece of luggage of mine.

Also, and this may be nitpicking, is that on CO the seat pitch is 31" vs the 30" on AirTran. I've been on a handful of AirTran flights and couldn't wait to get off the plane because I felt like I was squeezed it on it. To me this is significant.

I'd never hesitate to fly on CO. I would hesitate to fly on AirTran due to their seat pitch and how that translates into an uncomfortable flight.

Plus another plus for CO is that they are part of SkyTeam for earning/redeeming mileage (comprised on Delta, Northwest, AirFrance, etc.). Lots of options here. AirTran goes it alone in this regards, I just watched a bunch of AirTran points expire because I couldn't use them.

What is meant by "Con has one of the worst recrods"? Which statistics are you looking at?

I've flown Continental extensviely in the past year (25,000 miles+, domestic & international) and I wouldn't have done so much on one carrier if things didn't work well.

Some pros about Continental:

- they still feed you during meal times, EVEN IN COACH, on ALL flights.

- they have one of the most professional flight crews up in the skys (none of the attitude you might find on other airlines)

I've had no trouble with connection on CO as well. Transferring through IAH is typically easy. Usually the only delays being weather related, something that can happen at all airports. Also in flying with CO over the past 10 years, they have never lost a piece of luggage of mine.

Also, and this may be nitpicking, is that on CO the seat pitch is 31" vs the 30" on AirTran. I've been on a handful of AirTran flights and couldn't wait to get off the plane because I felt like I was squeezed it on it. To me this is significant.

I'd never hesitate to fly on CO. I would hesitate to fly on AirTran due to their seat pitch and how that translates into an uncomfortable flight.

Plus another plus for CO is that they are part of SkyTeam for earning/redeeming mileage (comprised on Delta, Northwest, AirFrance, etc.). Lots of options here. AirTran goes it alone in this regards, I just watched a bunch of AirTran points expire because I couldn't use them.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/2007/july/200707atcr.pdf

That is the most recent DOT report.

By the way, if you notice in my post I say that AirTran is statistically better for getting you and your luggage to your distiation on-time.

Like you, I think CO is one of the better airlines flying North American skies. If they fly the route I need, I usually choose them. My only complaint about them is that they consider their front cabin on long haul flights First, not business which makes redeeming miles on them rather expensive. Minor point, I agree.

Paul

Thanks for the replies.:)

Actually there was a time difference on each airline.

I should have looked at that more closely.

Airtran gets me in at 9:30pm....Continental 11:30pm.

I will give Airtran a try...I just booked it.

We use airtran every month from Sarasota to Chicago midway. never any problems

Hi,:) thanks, I have a question for you.

I tried to book my seats...(after I had got my confirmation for

the flight). So I wanted to pay 10.00 more and it said

"Payment Pending" (for the additional 10 bucks).

I still haven't received a confirmation on the 4 seats...2 going out,

2 coming home.

I called Airtran (they were nice) but they told me to wait about

an hour and check again. I did...still no seat assignments:rolleyes:

Can you give me some insight on this?

Lois - I am flying AirTran for the first time from FTL to SEA via ATL. Will let you know how it works out. They had the best fares and times for me this September for a cruise on the Amsterdam. I booked online and got my seat assignments at the same time. I liked being able to reserve an aisle seat online for a small upcharge. Cannot say why your seat assignments did not show up on your booking. I would call them again.

Lois - I am flying AirTran for the first time from FTL to SEA via ATL. Will let you know how it works out. They had the best fares and times for me this September for a cruise on the Amsterdam. I booked online and got my seat assignments at the same time. I liked being able to reserve an aisle seat online for a small upcharge. Cannot say why your seat assignments did not show up on your booking. I would call them again.

Hi, I just called them back and fortunetly I got a really

NICE PERSON:D really!!!

She helped me through the process, got my seats confirmed

and my $. If another charge shows up I will be credited, but she

saw what happened and nothing actually went through earlier.

And besides that part, she even marked my reservation that I am

cruising:) And I like an aisle seat too;)

This gal made up for the person I spoke to this morning.

She was sincerely helpful!!!!

Lois - I'm glad AirTran Customer Service came through for you. Actually, what I meant to say was that I booked an exit row online for a small upcharge. Being 6'2" I really enjoy the extra legroom an exit row affords. I am also looking forward to sailing on the Amsterdam for the first time. It gets great reviews and I love smaller ships. I'm not expecting her to be like Crystal, but since Harmony no long sails Alaska, I am giving HAL another try.

Lois - I'm glad AirTran Customer Service came through for you. Actually, what I meant to say was that I booked an exit row online for a small upcharge. Being 6'2" I really enjoy the extra legroom an exit row affords. I am also looking forward to sailing on the Amsterdam for the first time. It gets great reviews and I love smaller ships. I'm not expecting her to be like Crystal, but since Harmony no long sails Alaska, I am giving HAL another try.

Ohhh...you are going to Alaska next month? How fun! I

went there last summer and it was fabulous:)

If you remember the news from last summer~It was May 2006....

one of the X Captain's was dismissed before sailing out of Seattle.

I was on that infamous cruise;)

Oh...the Exit seats...if anything happens you have to help though:D

Glad to hear that AirTran customer service came through for you! It sounds like you made the right choice for you!

In the event you ever have to choose between Continental and AirTran again, if the Continental itinerary works for you, don't hesitate to fly with them. I fly over 150,000 miles a year, over 100,000 of them on Continental. I have very few problems with Continental and love the fact you still get blankets and pillows on the Continental flights, and yes...you are still fed.

I fly AirTran as well since we have a corporate agreement with them, but (much to our corporate travel agents chagrin) I much prefer Continental. As a matter of fact, I have 6 flights booked this coming week on Continental!

As for the on-time stuff...well...I must be really lucky...I experience way more Atlanta delays than Houston. On Friday night I sat in Atlanta for 5 hours due to delays.

As for future flights, let the itinerary and pricing be your determining factors. If you ask 100 people for their opinions, you'll get at least 100 opinions! :)

Have a great flight and great trip!

Hi Kelley, thanks for the reply. Well, I booked with Airtran.

Hopefully**** everything will go as planned.

But I am glad you posted your experiences too:)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Two weeks ago I flew AirTran for the first time and was totally impressed. Routing was from FTL to Seattle, via Atlanta. All flights were on time, connections easy to make and my luggage arrived with me, both ways. Also, the seats were very comfortable for coach. I paid a $10 surcharge for exit rows on the two longer segments, which also gave me priority boarding. The total fare was only around $300, which I found quite resonable. It was one of my best flying experiences in recent memory and I shall certainly fly them again!

Hi, I had posted another thread "You live and Learn"...well,

Delta changed my flight AGAIN:eek: and after speaking with

a very nice supervisor I was fully refunded my $. She told me

if a change is causing a 90 minute or more difference the passenger

can get a refund with NO penalty. This was about the 5th change.

Now, Airtran and Continental both fly from here to Seattle.

Airtran connects in Atlanta....Continental in Houston.

Both are less than Delta...Airtran by about 25.00 and

Continental by about 75.00.

Both arrive the evening before my cruise (which is what

I want).

Can I get some feedback on both airlines?

Thanks for the help.:)

I fly AirTran 3 or 4 times a year so I can vouch for them. I was most recently on them in August, will go again in November and December. The service is excellant and I love the satelite radio. They have all the sports and music categorys 50's, 60's. 70's, 80's, 90's etc. "Broadway" and so on. They do not charge you for the head phones and allow you to listen while landing which I find relaxing.

And one more thing. If you have trouble booking on-line you can call, book over the phone, and ask then to waive the service fee. They have done it for me more than once with no problem and a friendly attitude.

Thanks for the replies.:)

Actually there was a time difference on each airline.

I should have looked at that more closely.

Airtran gets me in at 9:30pm....Continental 11:30pm.

I will give Airtran a try...I just booked it.

Great! I think you will be pleased.

Not meaning to throw cold water, but.....AirTran and all LCC's are a good option and provide a fine product WHEN THINGS GO WELL. In times of operational problems, the Contract of Carriage for AirTran gives very few protections to the traveler. It can be found at THIS LINK.

Though there are reports of individual agents going beyond that which is prescribed in the Contract of Carriage, the airline has very limited obligations. For a sample of the limiting language (from page 18):

RIGHT OF THE AIR CARRIER AND LIMITS ON LIABILITY FOR DELAY OR FAILURE TO PERFORM SERVICE, INCLUDING SCHEDULE CHANGES, SUBSTITUTION OF ALTERNATE AIRCRAFT AND REROUTING

A. AirTran will endeavor to transport the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract.

B. The agreed stopping places are those places shown in AirTran’ timetables as scheduled stopping places on the route. AirTran may, without notice, substitute alternative carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the timetable.

C. Schedules are subject to change without notice. AirTran is not responsible or liable for failure to make connections or for failure to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall AirTran be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing (including the carriage of baggage) whether or not AirTran had knowledge that such damages might be incurred.

D. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, AirTran cannot guarantee that the passenger's baggage will be carried on the flight if sufficient space is not available based on the sole determination of AirTran.

E. AirTran will not provide or reimburse passengers for expenses incurred due to delays or cancellations of flights.

There are no provisions for rerouting on another airline, and your sole remedy is to receive a refund for unflown segments, which isn't much help.

If you are willing to accept these potential issues, go right ahead. Just be an informed consumer and know what you are purchasing.

Hi, Flyer, thanks for the information.

I fly next week:) ...I realize you are trying to show both sides.

And I have gone ahead...I booked with them in August.

Quote:

:"If you are willing to accept these potential issues, go right ahead."

I've sorta made my role here as not a cheerleader for any particular airline or airport or anything. Rather, I like to give as much info as possible so people can make their own decisions, based on what's important to them. To me, I would never want to submit to a CoC like AirTran's for 90+% of my travel. But that is MY choice, not one for everyone else. I just want the readers here to know the upside and downside of choices -- it's called freedom, it's called capitalism, and that's what I cheerlead for.

The link in the previous post was omitted, and the editing time expired. So you can get the AirTran CoC at THIS LINK.

FlyerTalker, have you ever flown AirTran? Just curious.

I do know what you are saying. So far I have only flown non-stop flights in/out of BWI. At least if I get stuck my family has a home about 10 minutes from the airport.

I don't like Airtran and from what I heard Continental isn't much better. I would try to go Southwest and switch planes in Nashville if that is an option. Southwest was rated best on-time last month for U.S. airlines.

I have 3 Washington DC area airports within an hour drive of me and I also try to fly Southwest from BWI when possible. Southwest has never lost my luggage the 100 flights or so I have taken with them. I'm also flying them again for my cruise in January.

I don't like Airtran and from what I heard Continental isn't much better. .

Just curious, but what have you heard about CO? They're my main airline, and I've flown them all, and I never dread getting on a CO flight. I can't say the same about other airlines.

I don't like Airtran and from what I heard Continental isn't much better. I would try to go Southwest and switch planes in Nashville if that is an option. Southwest was rated best on-time last month for U.S. airlines.

I have 3 Washington DC area airports within an hour drive of me and I also try to fly Southwest from BWI when possible. Southwest has never lost my luggage the 100 flights or so I have taken with them. I'm also flying them again for my cruise in January.

Hi, I leave this Thursday...no plans to change;) ...too late now LOL....

I also fly Southwest but when I was looking for them they

didn't offer anything for me in the timeframe I needed...oh well.

Thats the way it goes sometimes.

Seems every airline has fans and every airline has detractors.

I have read other posts of people who love AirTran and Continental.

Different airlines for everyone:)

Archived