Crossing from UK to Cape Liberty

jgsmfh73

Can anybody advise me please?

We are thinking of booking Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas from Southampton to Cape Liberty at end October 2015.

What can we expect in terms of weather etc? Not convinced about 8 days onboard if the weather is going to be bad! Don't expect to be sunbathing around the pool but would like to think we might be able to go on deck without being blown away.

We have cruised many times before but always the Med or the Caribbean but never the Atlantic crossing.

Any experiences of crossing the Atlantic this late in the year would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Guest maddycat

You might want to ask your question on the Royal Caribbean board or the sub-board, Count Down to the Quantum of the Seas. The Quantum's TA was in early Nov. so passengers can tell you what the weather was like for their crossing.

RCI http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Quantum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=872

Edited by maddycat

We have done quite a few crossings and there is absolutely no guarantee regarding the weather and/or sea conditions. However, there is a potential issue with the route. Under normal situations the normal route from the UK to the NYC area (Cape Liberty is right across the water from NYC) is to use a great circle route. It is actually very close to the route followed by the Titanic. Since this route goes pretty far north it can be somewhat colder then one might expect.

Hank

It is likely to be cool, but not cold. I've sailed N/A a number of times - Navy as well as passenger. I looked at this particular crossing before booking Queen Mary 2 November 5 Southampton -Brooklyn (I decided Anthem was just too big). The Atlantic keeps summer warmth well into the end of the year, and a good part of the crossing will be in Gulf Stream waters -- very good chance of temps well into the 60's all the way. A lot will depend on the weather - sunny skies will really help. If you are thinking a balcony, definitely go port side -- it makes a great difference being on sunny side all day (assuming it is sunny) and a lot warmer than starboard.