Help - first cruise - want to see Carribean islands

mannib

Hi All,

I am new on here and have joined as I wish to do my first cruise (on a ship) and I want to see as much of the Caribbean islands as possible. This will be part of a two month trip through Sth America and plan on being in FL around the 15/07/2012, sorry thats how we do dates in Australia.

A friend has recently returned from a 7day cruise on carnival cruises and loved it.

I would like information on 1) which cruise liner encompasses as many of the Caribbean islands as possible in the one cruise,, I can spend 10 days on board if required. 2) CAbin selection, I will get a balcony room. Which ones are the best. 3) As I am single and travelling alone - any better ships to be on ??? That is I don't really want to be on a boat with a bunch of screamming kids.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Manni

In July many ships are in either Alaska or Europe - but to see a lot of islands in 1 July cruise, take a look at CARNIVAL VICTORY sailing from San Juan, PR. Will sail every Sunday in July 2012 to 5 places: St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, & St Maarten.

Anything sailing from Florida will get you to a maximum of 4 islands - and that will again be on Carnival - the LIBERTY or the VALOR from Miami. Or you could try an 8-day on CARNIVAL FREEDOM sailing from Fort Lauderdale - again, just 4 ports.

Then when you decide on the ship, we can help you with your best stateroom options.

Keep in mind that when pricing your cabin, fares are per person, double occupancy. that means that if you are occupying a cabin as a solo, you will still have to pay two fares. This may affect your decision to have a balcony. EM

Hi, thank you for you assistance Kwaj girl and Essiesmom. I have asked my travel agent to look at "the San Juan, PR. Will sail every Sunday in July 2012 to 5 places: St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, & St Maarten. " option departing 15/07/2012.

These sound like the destinations that I wish to explore. It will be a buzz spending a few nights in San Juan to before the cruise as I will becoming from a jungle camp in northern Venezuala where I am doing two weeks volunteer work with animals.

So now I guess we have eliminated other boats and will go with Carnival Victory.

Essiesmom I accept that it will cost me the full rate, I expected that, so I still want a balcony,,, any suggestions as to which would be the better suite?

I have also booked on this cruise " http://www.amazonexpeditioncruises.com/programs/leticia_to_iquitos.htm

which cost $3,500 australian and I am sure that it will not be as luxurious as any of the cruise ships that carnival have.

Can anyone also provide any factual information on any tours of the Mayan area in Mexico/ I am looking at doing a approx 7day tour of the Mayan Peninsular in Mexico?

Again thank you for your help from Oz.

Manni

Hi, thank you. I am just waiting on the TA to confirm Carnival cruises Victory departing PR on the 15/07/2012.

Rather than miss the opportunity trying to save a few dollars i have just asked th TA to book a decent balcony room.

Lookin forward to this cruise and trip.

Cheers

Manni

In July many ships are in either Alaska or Europe - but to see a lot of islands in 1 July cruise, take a look at CARNIVAL VICTORY sailing from San Juan, PR. Will sail every Sunday in July 2012 to 5 places: St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, & St Maarten.

Anything sailing from Florida will get you to a maximum of 4 islands - and that will again be on Carnival - the LIBERTY or the VALOR from Miami. Or you could try an 8-day on CARNIVAL FREEDOM sailing from Fort Lauderdale - again, just 4 ports.

Then when you decide on the ship, we can help you with your best stateroom options.

Remember summer is hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Mannib:

I think you will love The Victory cruise you are planning. My best friend and I cruised on her in April this year and we loved it! Some of the tours we took were awesome! I suggest joining the "Roll Call" for your cruise and reading the "Ports of Call" boards. That's what I did prior to my last cruise and it was soooo helpful. I'm doing the same on my upcoming cruise as well.

Enjoy..... :)

hey All

Finally have a cabin allocation CAT 8B is this a good one? Is there anywhere I can get a ships diagram to check it out??

Thank you for your advice preciouscruiser, I see you are not doing the caribbean next time.

But I will check the ports of call board.. any suggestions on tours?

Cheers

Manni

There should be deck plans on the cruiseline's website....and they can (at least, Stateside!) send you a cruise brochure which includes the deck plans, along with LOTS of info that is handy for anyone to know. You should be able to order one from the website...no charge.

Not sure about category 8B without doing some research. But I would find out what your cabin no. is and you can check it out further knowing that. In addition to the info. on the cruiselines websites, there are a couple of websites I like to check out for ship info.: www.cruisedeckplans.com and use the drag decks feature to see what's above and below you and www.beyondships.com to view pics, etc.

My next cruise goes to parts of the "Western Caribbean". The Victory goes to parts of the "Southern Caribbean".

As far as the tours on The Victory, I would need to look back at the ones we took. I think there are certain rules on cruise critic about posting that info. on this particular thread and I don't want to break the rules. At this time I know that all of the ones we did were awesome and I chose them based on reviews from the Ports of Call board.

Remember summer is hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Wouldn't worry too much about that. Best part with cruising is that usually when there is a storm they just re-route and change the itinerary.

If spending some time in Puerto Rico first you might want to get out of San Juan and head over to Rincon. We love going there for a few days of R and R.

Enjoy your trip!

I am not to worried about cyclones, being through a few already. I arrive into PR on the 13th, so I am checking out ports of call for any info. There is a wealth of information and ideas in there, it's head wrecking me. I will have to check it out bit by bit, plenty of time anyway.

Any suggestions on good dive spots around PR?

Thankful

Manni

Archived