Extras in MDR

Marltom

I have tried one or two appetizers and desserts at dinner as it gives me the opportunity to try different foods, and also I am sometimes torn between more than one item. I am very slim, eat healthily the rest of the time, and so my vacation enables me to just ease up for the short time I'm on board- seriously there's no harm in ordering more than one item, and sometimes the wait staff positively encourage you to try different items.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And many people do tend to relax their diets and all for a vacation. I know I certainly eat worse on vacation than in day to day life. But, it's only for vacation.

Ha, ha. My husband is one that doesn't/won't. :( The only way he will eat dessert is if I order two and he has to finish what I "can't" eat. ;):D

The only time I ever ordered two entree's was on our very first cruise. Couldn't decide between the lobster or the prime rib. A seasoned cruise at the table said the lobster is small, order both, so I did. The lobster was huge, unlike today's lobster, and I was stuffed but then the rib was placed in front of me.:eek: Never did that again.

Edited by iheartbda

I did once not do a dessert still got a plate from wait staff03d0f52d949621035d60872e9a7a5be4.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Same thing happened to my friend. She said "Nothing" for dessert, and this is what she got. Cute.:)

Happy sails. Kathy

Our waiter Mervyn insisted...the lobster tails were small so i had two...as were the shrimp cocktails...apparently nobody cared for duck....so after duck night there were a variety of duck dishes.....soups etc to use the leftovers. lamb was the same....

Ok, so I have to mention this, as I get so sick of hearing this BS about food waste on the dining rooms--similar for restaurants. These meals are NOT cooked to order. They are prepared in advance. If you don't eat all of the food on your plate, it gets ground up and pumped into the ocean. Food that is already cooked in the kitchen and not served generally sees the same fate. These meals are not cooked to order as you would do at home. The staff began several hours ago, preparing these dishes and keeping it in hot boxes until plating time. Cooked food kept warm in hot boxes for several hours, generally will not reheat anyway, but in any case, has a limited holding time before it must be disposed of. So little Johnny not eating his broccoli is not creating any more waste than the 200 chicken parmigiana plates that went unserved. It's ALL being tossed. These costs are accounted for by the cruise line, and the waste is expected.

I'd say that's a few facts mixed with half-truths, speculation and assumption. The kitchen does prepare meals in advance, based on anticipated orders of each item. They also have limited ability to prepare more, if certain items are being ordered more than expected.

As for all items prepared, but not served, that night being discarded, I rather doubt that is true. I know that I have, at least at times, seen items that were offered the night before available in the Windjammer. That probably doesn't work for every dish, but is feasible for some. I would hope that they would at least offer extras that are left over for crew meals, before just disposing of them, but I don't know for sure how they handle that.

But, it is absolutely true that, if passengers, on average, wasted less food, then the kitchen would be able to react to that and prepare less food. It's a bit simplistic to think that you can be as wasteful as you want, because you're only eating things that would have been thrown away, anyway. I don't have a problem with people ordering as much as they want, assuming they expect to eat it, but am also very much in line with those who say not to be wasteful.

Now, as for the original question...

I don't order a lot of extras, but if I see a couple different appetizers or desserts that I just can't decide between, I might just order both. I almost never order multiple entrees, because I just don't want to eat that much.

Good point that not every item is necessarily tossed, but if items are past their holding times per various health regulations, they have to be discarded. Some items can be cooled and saved for a period of a few days, but others cannot be-would depend on the particular item, and what health code regulation it falls under. I don't know all of the exact details on what items are allowed to be kept and what can't. Obviously food that has left the kitchen must be disposed of.

I am not saying to be blatantly wasteful--what I was saying is that just because someone does not eat a particular item that they don't care for, they are not necessarily being intentionally wasteful, as that item may possibly have to be disposed of whether or not it left the kitchen. I don't agree with ordering every entree to simply try one bite and toss it just to say you've tried it. But if someone doesn't clean their plate because they don't like stewed Brussel sprouts, I don't believe their intention was to be wasteful in the first place