Extras in MDR

Marltom

We sometimes order an extra dish that looks appealing so that we can share/sample it.

And even though I like the duck on the menu, it is a lot of work for not much meat so I usually order a second, different item as well.

Our last cruise, we never asked for anything extra, but the waiter and assistant waiter often took it upon themselves (once they got to know our family) to do so anyways. :D

On lobster night, knowing my older son was a seafood lover, they automatically brought him an extra seafood platter. Then the next night, when he ordered pork, they were surprised he didn't order seafood and brought out a prawn dish to him along with the entree he ordered (he ate them both, of course :p ).

My MIL also got talking to the Head Waiter one of the nights and told him she was disappointed a certain soup she loved from the first night wasn't on the menu again. He came back a few minutes later with that soup. And every night after that, he would ask her if she'd like the soup again.

Next cruise, we may ask for extras to try, but we'll see.

We regularly will get 3 desserts to split between the two of us. If something really looks good, sometimes 4 (shhhh...don't tell!) On our last cruise, I mentioned to the waiter that I never get seafood as my husband hates it. So, he brought me an extra lobster tail. As I was finishing it, out came another lobster tail. As I was finishing the third one, he came by and saw me taking my last bite and said he'd be right back. :eek: I had to beg him not to bring me another lobster tail. :D

On Indy, my then 10 year old ordered a pasta dish, and told the waiter, "I'm really hungry!"

When dinner arrived at our table, he brought her 2 of the pasta entrees (she finished 1 1/2!) She was absolutely delighted that he did that, and made a big show of arranging both plates in front of her.

Our servers in MTD were fantastic that cruise. (So much so, in fact, that a month later my daughter got 2 pet gerbils and named them Norbert and Bogdan, after our servers!) :)

we have been on many many cruises and have never felt bad about ordering multiples of anything ...my wife and I will order our own meals and usually an extra entre of pasta and split it...the wait staff loves to take care of your desires...just don't order and let it sit there and walk away from the table...enjoy...:cool:

How many of us ask for extra meals in the MDR?:confused:

there is no reason whatsoever to order multiple anything, although some people like to order extra appetizers or desserts to have a taste of it all.

DH and I usually 'coordinate' what we order and just share off each other's plates. that way we can still try multiple things without wasting food.

one thing I actually dislike in specialtys is the tendency to insist on bringing us things we do not order 'to try'

If we are extra hungry, we just order one of every course. normally we skip soup and salad and just order appetizer , entree and dessert.

If we are extra hungry, we just order one of every course. normally we skip soup and salad and just order appetizer , entree and dessert.

Soup and salad are listed on the appetizer menu in the MDR (and from memory in specialties also).

Our last cruise, we never asked for anything extra, but the waiter and assistant waiter often took it upon themselves (once they got to know our family) to do so anyways. :D

We have had that happen. My wife and I both weight loss surgery patients occasionally will share an entre. If we debate on which one, sometimes they go ahead and bring both.

I did have one experience on Allure in 2013 where the father and son across from us ordered one of everything between the two of them. Really slowed down our dinner.