Which HAL ship for Alaskan cruise?

4Lakes Lady

Hey all you HAL cruisers,

I'm new to cruising and haven't been on a HAL cruise yet but would like to do Alaska during the summer of 2015. There are 3 ships , all with great itineraries: Statendam, Oosterdam and Zandam. Which would be your first choice and why?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What size ship do you like? The Statendam is 1,260 passengers, the Zaandam 1,380, and the Oosterdam is about 1,850. I like the middle of those three (Zaandam) for size, but I have never been on her and so I can't recommend her.

I think itinerary would be the main factor, for first timers I like the RT out of Vancouver

including Glacier Bay, add the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm. I've been on the Zaandam( some time ago) and most of the Vista class ships. I especially like the Signature suites on the Vista class. All three have the "Crow's Nest" area which I consider a must of Alaska, a warm comfortable place for sightseeing and nice for a mignight sun cocktail or aperitif.

Check out the ports and port times, for starters. Make sure you choose the ship and itinerary that offers you the ports that appeal most to you. Personally, I'd go with the 14 day RT on the Statendam, not for the ship but for the ports.

I'm currently booked on the Noordam 7 day R/T Vcr but am reconsidering. Not because of the ship but because I've "been there, done that" with the ports.

Edited by Host Walt
Corrected ship name from Amsterdam to Statendam

Personally, I'd go with the 14 day RT on the Amsterdam, not for the ship but for the ports.

I believe that itinerary is on the Statendam next year. It is an itinerary I highly recommend, as I did it three times on the Amsterdam.

I agree with the main idea of your post, though, that especially for Alaska, choose the itinerary and port times that mean the most to you. You can pick up more ports on subsequent cruises to Alaska---and there will be more, once you've been there once.

I agree that I'd look at the actual itineraries first and choose based on that. But, given those choices, and itineraries being equal (as well as costs), I'd probably pick the Statendam.

Because, we've already been on the Zaandam, and Zuiderdam (sister ship to Oosterdam).

I believe that itinerary is on the Statendam next year. It is an itinerary I highly recommend, as I did it three times on the Amsterdam.

I agree with the main idea of your post, though, that especially for Alaska, choose the itinerary and port times that mean the most to you. You can pick up more ports on subsequent cruises to Alaska---and there will be more, once you've been there once.

Haha, thanks for that correction. Yup, a BIG error on my part. :eek: Thanks for catching it :) (Apparently, I'm living in the past :D )

I'll hit the red triangle, actually, and see if Walt can remove that incorrect post of mine. Duh! (I can't even blame lack of coffee ;) )

Edited by CowPrincess

I've been on the Oosterdam 3 times and love it. Twice in Mexico and once in Alaska. I've been on the Zaandam once and won't go on it again. felt it was old and rundown. Just felt like it wasn't cared for it as much. Just my opinion.

I actually prefer the smaller ships for Alaska. We've done Ryndam, Volendam, Zuiderdam and Zaandam to Alaska (some of them several times) and I did prefer the Volendam, to be honest. However, I really want to try the 14-day itinerary next year - the one the Amsterdam used to do.

>SNIP<

I definitely agree about choosing the cruise based on the itinerary and port times RuthC. To me those are the important parts, the ship in Alaska is generally not even a consideration for me.

Edited by CowPrincess

I'm new to cruising and haven't been on a HAL cruise yet but would like to do Alaska during the summer of 2015. There are 3 ships , all with great itineraries: Statendam, Oosterdam and Zandam. Which would be your first choice and why?

Thanks!

We have booked Alaska for 2015 (September) and chose Oosterdam because she departs Vancouver and has a great itinerary and is just 7 days round trip. This will be our third Alaska cruise (1 each Vancouver and Seattle) and we prefer Vancouver, especially for 1st timers (which is what DB and DSIL will be on this cruise):). The water is calmer out of Vancouver and there are more hours of sightseeing along the Inland Waterway (waterfalls, eagles, and bears (oh my).:D

No matter which HAL ship you select ... you"ll have a great cruise!

Edited by AZNative2000

We booked the 14 day Statendam cruise leaving May, 2015. We really liked all the ports we are going to and sailing up the Cook Inlet! Have always wanted to see smaller ports like Homer and Kodiak. We choose the places we will see rather than the ship. Is does make a difference on how many days you can cruise. Go....enjoy the beauty!

I like all three for different reasons. Statendam because it is small and has less passengers.. The Zaandam becuase it's not that much bigger and has a third elevaltor in the middle of the ship, and I like the cozyness of the Pinnacle Girll. Osterdam because its newer. I don't know if they all go out of Vancouver but that would be the trip I would take rather then Seattle.

Haha, thanks for that correction. Yup, a BIG error on my part. :eek: Thanks for catching it :) (Apparently, I'm living in the past :D )

I'll hit the red triangle, actually, and see if Walt can remove that incorrect post of mine. Duh! (I can't even blame lack of coffee ;) )

I corrected the post for you.

I actually prefer the smaller ships for Alaska. We've done Ryndam, Volendam, Zuiderdam and Zaandam to Alaska (some of them several times) and I did prefer the Volendam, to be honest. However, I really want to try the 14-day itinerary next year - the one the Amsterdam used to do.

So happy to hear this! We're going in May on the Volendam, R/T Vancouver. We picked her for our first cruise to Alaska because she sails Wed - Wed instead of on the weekends. Less ships in the ports! :D A tip I picked up right here on CC!

We also booked early, at the beginning of the Explore 4 promo and got a great rate. From the looks of it, the Neptune & Vista Suites are already sold out! :eek: Happy we locked ours in when we did!

So happy to hear this! We're going in May on the Volendam, R/T Vancouver. We picked her for our first cruise to Alaska because she sails Wed - Wed instead of on the weekends. Less ships in the ports! :D A tip I picked up right here on CC!

We also booked early, at the beginning of the Explore 4 promo and got a great rate. From the looks of it, the Neptune & Vista Suites are already sold out! :eek: Happy we locked ours in when we did!

Well done! Yes, the mid-week itinerary makes for a better experience in ports.

We did that Wed-Wed itinerary on the Volendam earlier this year, and it was great. Previously we'd done a one way Vancouver to Seward on the Ryndam (not my favorite ship), and a Seattle RT on the Zaandam which had abbreviated port times. I did not care for the RT Seattle as the first day had more ocean motion than I care for. The Zaandam itself is a nice ship (sister to the Volendam, which I also like).

We did Alaska in 2014 with the Radiance otS (is it allowed to say it here ;))

and after that we had a week at Denali.

We loved Alaska and really want to get back, this is why we are thinking of going with the Statendam next year in Mai or the 1st of June. We have to wait for my boss to give the "ok" for one of these dates.

I like it, because you have some special ports, none of the bigger ships will go there...

the only thing, we are not booked yet : Last time we used our balcony very very often. The Statendam do not have Verandah cabins, only JS or Oceanview cabins. The Suites will be too expensive for us, because we also will have a long flight to go there ... But it would be the firts time to have "only" and oceanview cabin.... :confused: we maybe will choose one on the promenade deck so we can be outside very quick and can think we have a hugh balcony ;)

We loved Alaska and really want to get back, this is why we are thinking of going with the Statendam next year in Mai or the 1st of June. We have to wait for my boss to give the "ok" for one of these dates.

I like it, because you have some special ports, none of the bigger ships will go there...

the only thing, we are not booked yet : Last time we used our balcony very very often. The Statendam do not have Verandah cabins, only JS or Oceanview cabins. The Suites will be too expensive for us, because we also will have a long flight to go there ... But it would be the firts time to have "only" and oceanview cabin.... :confused: we maybe will choose one on the promenade deck so we can be outside very quick and can think we have a hugh balcony ;)

Hope we can book soon .... does anybody have an advice of good cabins ?

Janine

My choice would be the Zaandam. Nice size ship and has centre bank of elevators. Staterooms are large with lots of drawers. Same applies to Statendam for drawers and large cabins. Don't care for lack of drawers on the Zuiderdam. Enjoy your cruise whatever dam ship you choose. :)

Hope we can book soon .... does anybody have an advice of good cabins ?

Janine

The Statendam does have balconies, they are called "Vista Suites". There is plenty of public deck space to enjoy though.

I had a Neptune Suite for my last trip to Alaska, and for me (of course you might be different) I found zero value in the balcony. I was out on public decks all the time. I'm really looking at the Statendam 14 day itinerary, and will book the cheapest oceanview I can. (I am even considering an interior, to make it more affordable as a solo cruiser.)

Thanks!

I don't know which port these go out of. I would leave from Vancouver. The city is beautiful and shouldn't be missed.