Recipe for Monkey LaLa from Maya Key

wantocruisemore

Loved the monkey lala drink last month at Maya Key. I found several recipes online, each a little different. I tried experimenting this past weekend, but couldn't get it right. Some of the recipes use ice cream but I don't think they did at Maya Key. I used Kailua, bailey's Irish cream, vodka and coco Lopez plus ice in blender. For the 2nd batch I tried adding some Creme de cacao. DH added some dark rum to his. Still couldn't duplicate the flavor.

Anyone have the recipe?

CocoView Resort uses dark rum rather than vodka

Kailua, Bailey's, Coconut Cream and Dark Rum ... ice and a blender. No ice cream

1 shot Baileys; 1/2 shot coconut cream; 1/2 shot Kahlua; 1 shot rum; Add ice and blend until frozen

{dd spent 6 weeks at CocoView last year and this is the recipe she brought home . . }

if this doesn't ring your bell, here's another version

1 shot Baileys; 1/2 shot coconut cream; 1/2 shot Kahlua; 1 shot vodka; 1 shot triple sec. Add ice and blend until frozen. Top with chocolate syrup

Edited by Capt_BJ

Subscribing... :D

OP, let me know when you think you get it right and then share. :)

I will be happy to. I wish I had paid more attention when they were making them. French Key recipe uses ice cream. I didn't think they did at Maya Key but that may be the difference. I think the two places have the same ownership.

I'm also trying to duplicate the chicken recipe as well. The food there was really good. But then it may have had to do with the location and fact we were hungry.

I actually made rice and beans with coconut milk this past weekend.

Edited by wantocruisemore

dd reminded me that CocoView was specific about WHAT rum to use

Flor de Cana Gold Rum

Nicaragua, Rum, Gold Rum

Tastings.Com - Nicaragua- "Brilliant amber color. Mild aromas of caramelized nuts, buttercream and baked plantain follow through on a silky entry to a dryish medium body with very good depth and intensity. Finishes with drying praline cookie, cocoa and mineral accented fade with firm, peppery spice. "

I am able to find it locally ... VERY different taste from say a Bacardi dark . .

French Key recipe uses ice cream. I didn't think they did at Maya Key but that may be the difference. I think the two places have the same ownership.

When you say "French Key", are you referring to Little French Key? If so, they are not owned by the same people that owns Maya Key. LFK is privately owned by the couple/family that lives there on LFK island. Maya Key is owned by the same people that own Anthony Keys resort on the main land. :)

When you say "French Key", are you referring to Little French Key? If so, they are not owned by the same people that owns Maya Key. LFK is privately owned by the couple/family that lives there on LFK island. Maya Key is owned by the same people that own Anthony Keys resort on the main land. :)

I did mean Anthony Key, sorry.

I did email them but did not get a response.

As for the rums, I used the Appleton Estate Rum.

I did mean Anthony Key, sorry.

I did email them but did not get a response.

As for the rums, I used the Appleton Estate Rum.

Goodness, replying to email is just good business.

I hope ya find what you are looking for.. though perhaps tis fun playing with the variations. :0)

Goodness, replying to email is just good business.

I hope ya find what you are looking for.. though perhaps tis fun playing with the variations. :0)

Yea, I don't think they are very good replying to emails. Their website says to contact ahead for vegetarian options. I emailed them months out to check on that and gluten free options. Never got a response to that either.