Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old April 14th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

So glad it worked out. Thank you so much for posting back.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie51 View Post
Hi everyone.......I am the person who originally asked about the muster drill with an autistic child..in my case my 4 yr old granddaughter. We just returned yesterday from our 6 day cruise on Independence of the Seas. My daughter-in-law went to Guest Services right when we boarded to ask about it and she and my granddaughter were told to stay in the cabin during muster. The rest of us (8 others) went to the drill.
So all went well.
So glad your cruise went well and your muster drill was taken care of so easily.

Independence of the Seas - December 14, 2014
Explorer of the Seas - December 12, 2013
Explorer of the Seas - December 10, 2010
Explorer of the Seas - December 11, 2009
Explorer of the Seas - November 23, 2007

Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie51 View Post
Hi everyone.......I am the person who originally asked about the muster drill with an autistic child..in my case my 4 yr old granddaughter. We just returned yesterday from our 6 day cruise on Independence of the Seas. My daughter-in-law went to Guest Services right when we boarded to ask about it and she and my granddaughter were told to stay in the cabin during muster. The rest of us (8 others) went to the drill.
So all went well.
I am so glad this went well for you! Sadly, I have to report that the Allure gets a big giant F in this regard. I tried to go to guest services when we boarded. However, they have someone basically guarding the line to the actual guest services counter. She acted as if I were speaking a foreign language. She called over someone else. He had NO idea what I was talking about. Told them both I called the special needs dept the previous week and this is what they said to you. I used the words alternate muster location, autism spectrum, special needs muster.....no. No options other than to go to the muster station early so we could use the elevator. How that is supposed to help, I don't know. So, we went early, sat him in a booth in the corner and he squeezed his dad's hand really hard. We got some self regulating behavior...head shaking, hands opening and closing and he was sick to his stomach afterward, but we made it through.

However, I'm going to let their special needs dept know that the Allure staff needs training. My son has come a long way in the last two years. But there are so many kids who are so much worse in their coping than he is. Touting themselves as autism friendly is a complete fabrication in this situation.

I won't even go into the waiter who took away the children's menu and told him he had to order off the adult menu. That was lovely. He didn't eat that night and wouldn't go to the dining room the next night. Sigh.....guess I went into it.

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3cruisers View Post
I am so glad this went well for you! Sadly, I have to report that the Allure gets a big giant F in this regard. I tried to go to guest services when we boarded. However, they have someone basically guarding the line to the actual guest services counter. She acted as if I were speaking a foreign language. She called over someone else. He had NO idea what I was talking about. Told them both I called the special needs dept the previous week and this is what they said to you. I used the words alternate muster location, autism spectrum, special needs muster.....no. No options other than to go to the muster station early so we could use the elevator. How that is supposed to help, I don't know. So, we went early, sat him in a booth in the corner and he squeezed his dad's hand really hard. We got some self regulating behavior...head shaking, hands opening and closing and he was sick to his stomach afterward, but we made it through.

However, I'm going to let their special needs dept know that the Allure staff needs training. My son has come a long way in the last two years. But there are so many kids who are so much worse in their coping than he is. Touting themselves as autism friendly is a complete fabrication in this situation.

I won't even go into the waiter who took away the children's menu and told him he had to order off the adult menu. That was lovely. He didn't eat that night and wouldn't go to the dining room the next night. Sigh.....guess I went into it.
Sorry you had a bad experience in the dining room and with muster. I had requested a dining table by the window and this worked out well for us and our waiters were very accomodating. We ordered her a meal every night even though she doesn't eat(is tube fed) and the waiters knew this and did not have a problem with it. She likes to have a plate of food in front of her. The one area where I feel they need further training is actually getting on the ship. When we asked they said they had no special boarding for special needs people and then sent us to the "suite" line for checkin which was not any shorter than the regular lines. And getting off the ship and going through customs was a nightmare but I don't know what can be done about this.
Also they did have one autism friendly movie but it would have been better if it was run more than one time the entire cruise. Unfortunately it was at noon which is in the middle of lunch.

Last edited by Marie51; Yesterday at 01:56 PM.