Looking for a beautiful beach with food/drinks nearby

AMP25

I will be in St Thomas in a couple weeks....my husband and I are arriving on the Norwegian Getaway on March 5th. I have been browsing these forums for advice on which beach would be best for us but the more I read the more I get confused. We are looking for a beach with palm trees and beautiful water but we also want restaurants/bars within walking distance so we can grab lunch and have drinks on the beach. At first we decided on Sapphire Beach but now I hear its kind of closed down? Then we thought we would go to Red Hook because of the variety of restaurants but it doesnt seem like theres any nice beaches within walking distance. Many of the other beaches seem like they dont really have too many facilities for food/drink. It doesnt matter whether its crowded or not, but want it to be an easy cab ride from the cruise pier with food/beverages within walking distance.

Sapphire still is the best choice in our opinion, what is not available is a public restroom and dpchair rentals. If that's a showstopper you'll have to set your sights a little lower (for the nicest beach). Secret Harbor is pretty nice and has a restaurant but no natural shade for day visitors. Magens Bay has some shaded spots buts gets very crowded in that area and the restaurant there is not great. Coki doesn't offer much shade and has a busy vibe. Lindbergh Bay is another option but the beach isn't as nice.

Can you get by with a towel on the beach and no restrooms? If so you will find Sapphire to be that beach you've dreamed of with the natural shade along the shore, gorgeous sapphire water colors, and nice island views. There are still food and drink options there.

Good luck!

I will be in St Thomas in a couple weeks....my husband and I are arriving on the Norwegian Getaway on March 5th. I have been browsing these forums for advice on which beach would be best for us but the more I read the more I get confused. We are looking for a beach with palm trees and beautiful water but we also want restaurants/bars within walking distance so we can grab lunch and have drinks on the beach. At first we decided on Sapphire Beach but now I hear its kind of closed down? Then we thought we would go to Red Hook because of the variety of restaurants but it doesnt seem like theres any nice beaches within walking distance. Many of the other beaches seem like they dont really have too many facilities for food/drink. It doesnt matter whether its crowded or not, but want it to be an easy cab ride from the cruise pier with food/beverages within walking distance.

Look up Emerald Beach. That is what we decided on after Sapphire basically shut down. It has everything you are looking for.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is where many people will go to have access to lounges, restrooms, and drinks and snacks without the huge crowds. The problem is on the day you are in port there are 2 huge ships docked at Crown Bay which is much closer to Lindbergh Bay, and there are 2 other ships docked with you at Havensight. So you have a lot of company while in port at 17k+ fellow cruisers!

You are docked closer to Morningstar Beach which would be an "OK" choice. But I would seriously stay with Sapphire if you are happy with a towel on the beach under a tree and no public restrooms as it will be very peaceful there on that very busy day.

Otherwise take a look at Smith's Bay on the East End between Coki and Sapphire (you'll have to bring your own food/drinks and perhaps chairs and I believe there are still just portapotties there but natural beauty still). Or better yet consider a daysail to get off the island all together, perhaps the champagne cat sail or a private daysail like Yacht Nightwind or New Horizons. But do avoid Magens, Coki, Secret Harbor, LIndbergh, and Honeymoon on Water Island if you want a decent day!

I have to say that we have been to Magen's Bay 3 or 4 times and it is beautiful. It has never been very crowded and we have been in port with several ships including the Oasis or Allure. It is beautiful calm clear water and white sand. There are public washrooms, showers and change rooms. Some shady areas. A snack bar for food and drinks (not gourmet but okay). And if you walk down the beach to the left as you face the water, it will be very un crowded.

JandR1Luv - I know what you mean about being confused! Especially since the beaches have several names - my head was swimming, I finally decided on Emerald, not the closest to the ship (we'll dock in Havensight) but it comes close to what we want (the same things you are looking for) - it may not be the prettiest beach there, but I am sure we won't be disappointed. :D

Hi we have been to Magens Beach and Emerald Beach. Magens Beach is very touristy (sp) but beautiful. We prefer Emerald Beach. It's free admission, you can rent a lounge chair for around $7 per person. A very quiet beach area with a wonderful restaurant and great priced food. There are restrooms plus you can use the pool facilities too.

JandR1Luv - I know what you mean about being confused! Especially since the beaches have several names - my head was swimming, I finally decided on Emerald, not the closest to the ship (we'll dock in Havensight) but it comes close to what we want (the same things you are looking for) - it may not be the prettiest beach there, but I am sure we won't be disappointed. :D

There are indeed a ton of opinions about the various beaches, and we too are certainly biased in our rankings. But each beach has a unique or distinctive vibe or setting that can help one choose based on their situation that day. Some are located near a port while some take much more effort to get to but reward that effort.

The East End beaches of St Thomas are preferred by many who are looking for the nicest beach on STT. These include Coki, Smith's Bay, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Cowpet Bay (Coki and Smith's Bay are actually on the north side but are on the east end of the island). But others are also very nice and may work best if you have limited time or just want a nice beach to relax at that is closer to port and may be less crowded. And of course the beaches of St John are also gorgeous and should be experienced when possible. Trunk Bay, like Magens Bay, is highly-touted and so a bit touristy most days, but Cinnamon Bay and others less frequented are also beautiful.

For St Thomas -

Coki Point is a gorgeous beach set in a very small bay with good snorkeling off the beach. You'll find one of the nicest beaches you've seen here, but it will have a lively vibe as it gets very crowded. Several vendors renting stuff and selling food and drink. Taxis are readily available. We love Coki and find it a very intimate and romantic beach when ships are not in port.

Smith's Bay Park and Lindqvist Beach is a beautiful, maintained beach (both Smith's Bay Park and Magens Bay are maintained by the Magens Bay Authority and charge a small entry fee) but is much quieter and offers very few amenities. Here you would find natural beauty and relative quiet that you might have expected to see decades ago and not today. Grab your towel and a lunch and drinks from Gourmet Gallery and enjoy the beauty while it's still here. There may be chair rentals and portapotties there now, and you may need to have a taxi return for pick-up.

Sapphire Beach is a gorgeous beach in a larger bay with abundant natural shade, nice island views and great snorkeling off the beach. There is a reef area, a sandy swimming area, and a sea grass area where turtles and rays may be spotted. Home to 3 condo properties with food and drink options, but currently there are no chair rentals or public restrooms. So a very nice spot to be for condo guests on big ship days. And those cruisers young at heart (and body) that can be happy with a towel in the sand and the sapphire-colored sea for relief will be rewarded with paradise here. Taxis were stationed here but with fewer cruisers coming here you'll want to have the driver return or call a taxi when ready.

Secret Harbor is a small bay that is home to one condo property and has a quieter vibe more like Sapphire. However the water is dead calm at SH and there is no shade available to most day visitors. Good snorkeling and a restaurant on site and nice beach though.

Cowpet Bay is very close to Secret Harbor and is home to the Elysian Resort (condo resort) with a small beach and snorkeling. Primarily suited to guests of the condo but still a public beach.

Magens is on the north side and is a deep bay with a a nice, calm beach that's maintained (small entry fee) and is touted as one of the top 10 beaches in the Carib by Frommer's, cruise ships, etc. It has that rating for a reason, and it sees many people and so is touristy. No snorkeling here, and for some folks Magens doesn't have the charm or character some of the other beaches do. But it is a beautiful beach that is great for toddlers and kids because it is so dead calm, and it offers restrooms, small restaurant, a gift shop and available taxis.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is closest to Crown Bay and is a popular beach for folks docking there. A nice enough beach with rentals and food and drinks available at the Best Western Emerald Beach Plus Resort. You can also rent a room for the day to take advantage of a shower and changing room. Nice option if Magens and the East End beaches are too much effort.

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is another popular destination for folks docked at Crown Bay because the ferry to Water Island is very close. This beach has become very popular however and gets crowded during the day.

Morningstar Beach is closest to Havensight and is a popular spot for folks docking there who are looking for a quick beach stop following an excursion or other tour. Home to the Marriott and you can use their services or just pick a spot on the beach for your towel and take a lunch if you'd like.

Hopefully not confusing the choices even more! And here's a map showing the beach locations for those not familiar with the island, just click on the map for a larger view -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html

We are sailing on the Allure and will be in St. Thomas June 11. The port according to the itinerary is Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. I am not familiar with St. Thomas. Any recommendations for beaches similar to Emerald Beach that is not too far from the port? Thanks! :)

We are sailing on the Allure and will be in St. Thomas June 11. The port according to the itinerary is Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. I am not familiar with St. Thomas. Any recommendations for beaches similar to Emerald Beach that is not too far from the port? Thanks! :)

Look up? :p

You'll dock at Crown so Lindbergh or Honeymoon would be closest, you can see Crown bay and Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) on the map I posted above...

I'm subscribing to this thread. I've been to St. Thomas three times over probably ten years - each time wanting something a little different in my experience. My next cruise I'll have my children with me - so now I'm thinking about it in even another regard. While I might avoid Magen's Bay if it were just my husband and I, since we'll have the kids along it might be a better choice. Calm water is a plus, as well as quick access to facilities. It's really helpful to have all this information about beach options in one place. Love cruise critic!

I'm subscribing to this thread. I've been to St. Thomas three times over probably ten years - each time wanting something a little different in my experience. My next cruise I'll have my children with me - so now I'm thinking about it in even another regard. While I might avoid Magen's Bay if it were just my husband and I, since we'll have the kids along it might be a better choice. Calm water is a plus, as well as quick access to facilities. It's really helpful to have all this information about beach options in one place. Love cruise critic!

I think that is a great idea. If we were with kids looking for a beach on STT we'd pick either Magens, Lindbergh, or SH. Sapphire or Smith's Bay is for couples because of limited facilities. Magens is beautiful, and hopefully your driver wil stop at Drakes Seat for that gorgeous view.

• 3 weeks later...

Blue water you are awesome! Thank you! Trying to narrow down options. Thinking about beaches in front of Elysian,

Secret Harbor beach resort, Bluebeard's or beach near Best Western. Or anything you might suggest. chairs and cold beverages important to us. Shh, we are two gals in our 50's.. We are planning a morning at the beach followed by shopping downtown in the afternoon. We arrive on NCL Getaway. I think there are ONLY 6 ships in port that day...thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Blue water you are awesome! Thank you! Trying to narrow down options. Thinking about beaches in front of Elysian,

Secret Harbor beach resort, Bluebeard's or beach near Best Western. Or anything you might suggest. chairs and cold beverages important to us. Shh, we are two gals in our 50's.. We are planning a morning at the beach followed by shopping downtown in the afternoon. We arrive on NCL Getaway. I think there are ONLY 6 ships in port that day...thank you!

Miss Kitty I had to ask my wife if she wrote that to me - you sound just like her (except for the first part of course - "you are awesome!") :p

But for your beach I would choose Secret Harbor. Shouldn't be a problem getting chairs as long as you get moving, and there's a restaurant on the beach with anything you might want (to eat or drink, at least).

Our second choice would be either Lindbergh (Best Western Emerald bneach resort, not the BW Carib) or Morningstar at the Marriott, and either of these would be fine for a beach before shopping.

Have fun!

Hi we have been to Magens Beach and Emerald Beach. Magens Beach is very touristy (sp) but beautiful. We prefer Emerald Beach. It's free admission, you can rent a lounge chair for around $7 per person. A very quiet beach area with a wonderful restaurant and great priced food. There are restrooms plus you can use the pool facilities too.

Hi - are there shady areas at Emerald Beach that we can pull our chair under? Love the sun/water, but our skin is so pale we glow in the dark. :D

Miss Kitty I had to ask my wife if she wrote that to me - you sound just like her (except for the first part of course - "you are awesome!") :p

But for your beach I would choose Secret Harbor. Shouldn't be a problem getting chairs as long as you get moving, and there's a restaurant on the beach with anything you might want (to eat or drink, at least).

Our second choice would be either Lindbergh (Best Western Emerald bneach resort, not the BW Carib) or Morningstar at the Marriott, and either of these would be fine for a beach before shopping.

Have fun!

Thank you! Secret Harbor it is!

Thank you! Secret Harbor it is!

Misskitty50,

After lots of research I plan on going to secret harbor, in June. I hope I am making the right choice as I would like to do some snorkeling and kayaking. Please let me know what you think of SH. Thank you.

dubldeck I can tell you that SH is a very nice beach in a small bay with very calm water that's home to 1 condo property with a restaurant and dive center and offers good snorkeling. We've been there a few times and we just prefer staying at Sapphire. But currently there are no chair rentals or public restrooms available at Sapphire for day visitors and so SH is becoming the first choice for cruisers.

Coki is a gorgeous beach too but is a more lively vibe, and Smith's Bay Park doesn't offer any amenities and you'd have to bring your own lunch and drinks from Gourmet Gallery.

So SH is a great choice and I know you will enjoy your visit there. Hopefully Misskitty agrees when she goes there!

I googled Emerald Beach and the Best Western hotel comes up. Is there where you are renting chairs, using the pool, eating and drinking at? If so, do you pay a day rate for access or are you just showing up and using their facilities?

How long does it take to get to SH from the cruise ship docks?

How easy is it to get a taxi back?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

20 - 30 minutes and we've seen taxis stop in to pick folks up

I googled Emerald Beach and the Best Western hotel comes up. Is there where you are renting chairs, using the pool, eating and drinking at? If so, do you pay a day rate for access or are you just showing up and using their facilities?

Yes Emerald Beach is located at the hotel. It's free admission. You can rent a chair for the day. Back in 2011 it was $7.00. You just show up no reservations are required. I would get there early. There a small pool you can use. The restaurant is great, sandwiches, salads and burgers are very reasonable. It's a very quiet day at the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app