Car Seats

july72807

I did not want to have to travel with them but it is appearing more so that we will have to bring them along. For example, arriving in San Juan, PR and going to the hotel - that alone we can't do without a car seat.

I have seen brief mention made of travel, light weight car seats - would rather that than travel with our very heavy, very expensive car seats...Suggestions?

I did not want to have to travel with them but it is appearing more so that we will have to bring them along. For example, arriving in San Juan, PR and going to the hotel - that alone we can't do without a car seat.

I have seen brief mention made of travel, light weight car seats - would rather that than travel with our very heavy, very expensive car seats...Suggestions?

For travel (and in our 2nd car and even in grandma's car) we have a Safety1st Guide 65 Sport...lightweight and it's FAA approved. We got ours at WalMart...google online for exact product info.

We also have a GoGo Babyz travel cart (google) that the carseat snaps into...easy to travel when you have the right equipment.

Best of luck.

For travel (and in our 2nd car and even in grandma's car) we have a Safety1st Guide 65 Sport...lightweight and it's FAA approved. We got ours at WalMart...google online for exact product info.

We also have a GoGo Babyz travel cart (google) that the carseat snaps into...easy to travel when you have the right equipment.

Best of luck.

We also have the Guide65 sport as a second car seat. It's great for tight spaces like small sedans and its light and easily portable.

I sailed last April with my 2 year old daughter. I did not bring a car seat. We were able to ride the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Since the shuttle was a “commercial vehicle l” car seats were not required by law. We spent 2 night in FL. Before setting sail out of Miami( a 30 minute Drive) again I did not use a car seat as we were in a Commercial vehicle (it was a 12 passenger van/bus) shuttle. We sat in the second row in the back with the 2 year old strapped into the seatbelt. In terms of excursions most were on charter buses or shuttles so you were not allowed to bring a car seat onboard, and they drove really slow so I felt safe the entire time. The cabins were not really big enough to store a car seat and stroller in addition to luggage. I am very glad we opted out of the car seat, and used the stroller instead as there was so much walking on the ship and in port

We just bought the "Ride safer" kids vest for this purpose (http://ridesafertravelvest.com/) for my 3 year old. I couldn't imagine lugging our car seat around so I searched high and low for a safe alternative and this has some great reviews and is recommended by the car seat lady (http://thecarseatlady.com/).

It is not approved in Canada yet (we are Canadian), so I ordered it from the States and only plan on using it there and abroad (for the cab ride from the hotel to the port in NYC and then in the various cruise ports. Its small enough to fit in a backpack :)

We just bought the "Ride safer" kids vest for this purpose (http://ridesafertravelvest.com/) for my 3 year old. I couldn't imagine lugging our car seat around so I searched high and low for a safe alternative and this has some great reviews and is recommended by the car seat lady (http://thecarseatlady.com/).

It is not approved in Canada yet (we are Canadian), so I ordered it from the States and only plan on using it there and abroad (for the cab ride from the hotel to the port in NYC and then in the various cruise ports. Its small enough to fit in a backpack :)

We have this as well and it has been great. We've brought it on vacations and it fits right in the bag. No issues with security.

How big is your child? Cosco Scenera Next ($45 at Walmart) makes a great travel seat and only weighs about 8 pounds, but maxes out at 40 lbs and 40 inches. I took it last summer when traveling alone with our toddler and it installed very easily on multiple planes and about half a dozen different vehicles. If your child is bigger than 40 lbs/40 inches you might consider a booster seat just for limited travel use, even if you are keeping child harnessed longer at home.

My son will be a little over a year old when we travel. We haven't quite picked which itinerary we are def going on. It will either be Cozumel and Belize or Grand Cayman and Jamaica. DO you know if ANY of them has taxis/shuttles (6 of us plus baby) that have car seats in them already or that I can request in advance? I understand they he doesn't NEED a car seat in the shuttle but I do not feel comfortable having my most precious cargo not strapped in tightly. Also what about in Ft Lauderdale. We really don't want to lug around a car seat and don't mind paying extra for a cab/shuttle that has one already. Thanks so much

Those vests look perfect but they say 3 and up. Hes only 6 months but already 21 lbs and 30 inches long. He will meet the size requirements easily but not the age requirements:( I emailed the company to see if it would still protect him and be effective

Edited by mariapd719

My son will be a little over a year old when we travel. We haven't quite picked which itinerary we are def going on. It will either be Cozumel and Belize or Grand Cayman and Jamaica. DO you know if ANY of them has taxis/shuttles (6 of us plus baby) that have car seats in them already or that I can request in advance? I understand they he doesn't NEED a car seat in the shuttle but I do not feel comfortable having my most precious cargo not strapped in tightly. Also what about in Ft Lauderdale. We really don't want to lug around a car seat and don't mind paying extra for a cab/shuttle that has one already. Thanks so much

Those vests look perfect but they say 3 and up. Hes only 6 months but already 21 lbs and 30 inches long. He will meet the size requirements easily but not the age requirements:( I emailed the company to see if it would still protect him and be effective

The vest will not be appropriate for a 1 year old. Regardless of his size, he still has the bones/muscles of a 1 year old and really needs to be in a rear facing car seat. You may be able to find a car service with a car seat in Ft. Lauderdale. Personally I am not comfortable using those (you don't know if the seat has been in an accident, if it will fit your child, or if they will even remember to bring it) but you may decide that you are. I would be shocked if you found a shuttle with an appropriate seat in Cozumel or Jamaica. Can you do cruise line excursions that use busses? Those are safer without a car seat. Or maybe a boat tour or a walking tour? We did a Duck tour at grand Cayman, walked around on our own in Cozumel, and left ds on the ship with his grandparents in Jamaica. If you don't want to do those options, I would take a cheap lightweight seat like the Scenera Next and hire a private driver so you can leave the seat in the vehicle when you go in and out of places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Studies have shown that babies should be rear faced in a car seat now until at least 2 years old and longer if possible, because of this your little one, not even being 2 at the time of travel, should be in a car seat even while flying. You never know how much turbulence or god forbid an accident that could happen which could cause your little one to be jerked around and cause injury. You should NEVER check a car seat while flying because even though it may look okay when you pick it up, you don't know if any unseen damage was done which could compromise the car seat.

I would say purchase a light weight car seat to fly and travel with, you can use it in a taxi/van after the air port, and while on the cruise you can store the car seat in your closet.