How cold might it be?

Nitemare

As I type this, I'm wearing a heavy sweater and hearing the heat running, and we're into June here in Boston, so I'm thinking about how cold it might get late at night on the ship later this month, or in one of the lodges in Fairbanks, McKinley, or Denali. I know about bringing layers (what New Englander doesn't!), but I don't want to bring too many layers!!

Should a fleece and a slightly heavy windbreaker be enough (what I'd wear for low 50's) for evening warmth if we're outside? Or should I add a medium (or heavy?) weight sweatshirt to the pile to be packed? Could it get to the mid 40's at night?

Thanks!

As I type this, I'm wearing a heavy sweater and hearing the heat running, and we're into June here in Boston, so I'm thinking about how cold it might get late at night on the ship later this month, or in one of the lodges in Fairbanks, McKinley, or Denali. I know about bringing layers (what New Englander doesn't!), but I don't want to bring too many layers!!

Should a fleece and a slightly heavy windbreaker be enough (what I'd wear for low 50's) for evening warmth if we're outside? Or should I add a medium (or heavy?) weight sweatshirt to the pile to be packed? Could it get to the mid 40's at night?

Thanks!

Personally I would forget the sweatshirt and add a water resistant/or repellent jacket with fleece lining. Not a real bulky one, but one prepared for rain just the same. It can get on the cold side during glacier viewings. With that don't forget shorts and warm weather clothing since especially in Fairbanks it can get well into the 80's. I talked to a friend yesterday who just returned and she said she sure wishes she had taken a pair of shorts.

If you need a sweatshirt or jacket - there will be plenty around to buy!

Difficult to give you advice. My July cruise was incredibly cold and the ship almost sold out of jackets because nobody was prepared. My May cruises we have worn shorts.....Too difficult to predict. I haven't done the land trip but it does get cold your 2 days at glaciers (bring ear protection) if you will be on decks.

I just quickly looked at Skagway and Juneau this week and it is getting into the 40's at night.

I would bring both a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. Also bring a pair of shorts. You never know....!

Have a fantastic cruise!

If you need a sweatshirt or jacket - there will be plenty around to buy!

Difficult to give you advice. My July cruise was incredibly cold and the ship almost sold out of jackets because nobody was prepared. My May cruises we have worn shorts.....Too difficult to predict. I haven't done the land trip but it does get cold your 2 days at glaciers (bring ear protection) if you will be on decks.

I just quickly looked at Skagway and Juneau this week and it is getting into the 40's at night.

I would bring both a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. Also bring a pair of shorts. You never know....!

Have a fantastic cruise!

Jackets we're good with, shorts are in the pile to be packed. Ear protection I guess will be left to stocking caps, as I haven't owned ear muffs since the late 1960's, and I think my fleece "head sock" might be overdoing it a bit.

Thanks, all!

I landed in Fairbanks in June 2004 to 90 degree weather. At 6 pm, the sun is still high overhead and does not set until after midnight, so there isn't much of an evening cooloff. As you head south to Denali and McKinley, it cools down a bit, but I never needed more than a light jacket until we hit the glaciers.

We just returned from a northbound 7-day cruise (Vancouver to Whittier) and can tell you that we had perfect weather almost every single day ... I wish you the same!!! It was an absolutely fantastic trip, and we will definitely go back one day.

I would agree with the other replies here. We were quite comfortable in long sleeve shirts with a lined windbreaker/all-weather jacket most days. Many afternoons we ditched the jackets, and a few times wished we had brought short sleeves and shorts. On our excursions we added long underwear underneath (we have the lightweight silk underwear so it's not bulky at all) and a fleece sweatshirt-style jacket underneath the all-weather jacket. Perfect. We carried gloves and hats for our helicopter ride to the glaciers, and also used them the day we cruised Glacier Bay.

We also took our umbrellas and rain ponchos. We never used the ponchos but I would take them again. They take up very little space and would definitely be good to have just in case. We did use our umbrellas a couple of times for short rain showers.

As was already mentioned, don't forget the sunscreen! We used it every day, although obviously not liberally enough as our faces got quite pink a couple of days. As for mosquito repellant, we never needed it but it can't hurt. We stayed on in Anchorage for a day and saw HUGE mosquitos ... and being from Texas, that's really saying something because we think OUR mosquitos are big! :eek:

I'll agree that this is a difficult trip to pack for, and I was very nervous about it during our planning stages, but I felt we did very well. If you have any other questions, please let me know ... I'd be happy to help!

We leave shortly for our Alakan Cruisetour. I found a product for my ears that will block wind very well. They are called, "EarPops". Come in lots of colors and very comfortable. http://www.earpops.com/

For those leaving soon, Fairbanks isn't exactly 80 degrees now! LOL! At night the temps are in the 30's and the daytime is 50 +. Someone has actually reported snow flurries in Fairbanks. :eek:

Thanks everyone for helping to make our trip a truly memorable experience.

Special Weather Statement - SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR ANCHORAGE VALID FROM MON JUN 05 2006 06:13 PM ADT UNTIL TUE JUN 06 2006 03:00 PM ADT.

...TEMPERATURES OF 32 DEGREES OR BELOW EXPECTED TONIGHT FOR ANCHORAGE...MATANUSKA VALLEY...AND KENAI PENINSULA... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ANCHORAGE ALASKA IS FORECASTING TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S FOR AREAS IN THE MATANUSKA VALLEY...ANCHORAGE AND THE KENAI PENINSULA. A COLD AIR MASS REACHED THE SOUTHCENTRAL REGION OVER THE WEEKEND. YESTERDAY TEMPERATURES IN THESE REGIONS REACHED AS LOW AS 23 DEGREES. LACK OF OVERNIGHT CLOUD COVER AND THE COLD AIR MASS OVER THE REGION SHOULD CAUSE SIMILAR COLD TEMPERATURES TODAY...ESPECIALLY FOR INLAND AREAS SUCH AS SOLDOTNA AND THE EAST SIDE OF ANCHORAGE OR HIGHER ELEVATIONS. MOST OF THIS AREA WILL HAVE TEMPERATURES REMAIN ABOVE FREEZING BUT ISOLATED COLD POCKETS WILL OCCUR. RESIDENTS OF THESE AREAS SHOULD TAKE CARE TO COVER ANY CROPS OR BEDDING PLANTS THAT MAY BE UNPROTECTED.

I agree with other postings suggesting layering...lightweight water resistant/proof lined jacket with hood, long/short sleeve shirt, cap, and gloves. Bring a backpack along to hold those items not in use. This way you are prepared for both cool and warm temps...

I packed my earpops but ended up not using them. I had a wool ski headband that I used for the glacier dog sled, Hubbard Glacier day and my day in Denali Nat'l Park. Used my ski jacket those days too. I did not bring an umbrella. I did bring a rain poncho but never used it. I had a light weight windbreaker with hood that's also waterproof which I had layers underneath and that came in handy when it rained. We never had any downpours -- only drizzle or misting rain. My friend used silk long johns that were light weight and warm. I would leave home any "heavy" sweaters. You are better off with light weight for layering. Cashmere is good. My suggestion is a cotton turtleneck, a cardigan and then a waterproof windbreaker.

Archived