Xcaret shore excrusion - opinions?

Has anyone done the Xcaret shore excursion? How was it? How were the Mayan ruins? The snorkeling? Beach? How much is food, I can't find prices? Just wondering. Thanks!

I see it for one of our upcoming cruise priced at $99 for adults and $74 for children. Duration is 8 hours.

Here is a link to restaurants:

http://www.xcaret.com/mexican-and-regional-food.php

Edited by clarea

Xcaret is pretty cool place to go for the day.

We have been there before but not during a cruise.

I assume you are starting from Coz which requires a 40min ferry ride each way to get to/from the mainland.

$99 is not bad for all day.

But drinks & food are all extra...

Just an FYI for Xcaret: Xcaret is n eco-archeological national park for Mexico. They are very concerned about the environment and the affects of sunscreen on the water quality and the reef. As a result, bags are searched before entrance and bottles of regular sunscreen will be confiscated.

Make sure you apply you sunscreen before arriving at the park and think about wearing the swim clothing designed with an SPF factor. A biodegradable sunscreen may be allowed into the park.

Don't miss the "underground" river tube float.

We went to Xcaret during our land vacation in Playa del Carmen a good 15 years ago and enjoyed it a lot. There was a lot of interesting things to see and do, spent almost a whole day there and still did not see everything. They had shows going on at several different pavilions. I recalled floating in the underground river through dark caves and some tunnels and have never seen water so crystal clear. The water was cold at first, but you got used to it after a while and I would take water shoes for the water activities. I enjoyed the beach there and we were able to see people swimming with the dolphins. This is a huge place, found it to be very clean, you will be walking a lot and the people working there were very friendly.

We didn't go to the ruins as we saw the ruins in Tulum and there was so much to do and see, we did missed seeing some things. Our package which we bought from our hotel included a food buffet and pretty much everything else at this park at that time with the exception of swimming with the dolphins. Like I said, this was a good 15 years ago, and I'm sure things have changed, don't remember food cost. We saw a wonderful show at night there, must have been a 100 people in this show singing with nice costumes, some horses and had Mexican dancing. Did not do any snorkeling in their lagoon, too many other things to do and see.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

We greatly enjoyed our trip to Xacaret on a land vacation, but probably wouldn't do it on a cruise because of the ferry ride (only time I've been seasick, except once on a very old cruise ship) and the time involved from port--maybe I'd do it if it was ship-sponsored, but still, a very long day.

I think the price is reasonable for what there is to do, although you will probably miss some things (evening show) because of timing.

We too enjoyed Xcaret. I typically do NOT book through the cruiseline, but found it tremendously less costly to do so than to take a cab there ourselves and pay full price for entry to the park. It's been YEARS since we did this, but we enjoyed the park and found the excursion to be an excellent price. Unlike most ship excursions, this one (at least when we did it) was only providing bus transportation. However, the large group allowed for a discounted entry fee to the park. It was a bargain compared to arranging private transportation and paying full price to enter the park. You do your own thing once you're there.