Private Tours of Tortola Safe?

pinkbirdy

I am going to Tortola for the first time, this coming August. I will be on an NCL ship, in port on a Wed, 8-4. I keep seeing it mentioned that you can walk off the dock and see a line of private operators, with tour vans. Many people seem to have a great time, at a reasonable price. Normally, I'd say no way to something like that, but I'm surprised at how "normal" the idea sounds, from the descriptions I've read. What do you guys think?

Yes, the taxi drivers parked at the end of the pier provide excellent island tours (and beach combo tours) at very affordable rates. That's a great way to see the beautiful island of Tortola and the gorgeous views from the hills. If you want to include a beach and lunch stop just ask the drivers, they are very nice.

These are licensed taxi drivers and most tours are provided in the open-sided safari truck taxis which hold between 10 and 25 people. That keeps the cost down while allowing you to enjoy the company of others while touring. I'm sure there are also vans if you want a private driver but that will raise the price of course...

Enjoy your day on our favorite island!

Edited by blue_water

I am going to Tortola for the first time, this coming August. I will be on an NCL ship, in port on a Wed, 8-4. I keep seeing it mentioned that you can walk off the dock and see a line of private operators, with tour vans. Many people seem to have a great time, at a reasonable price. Normally, I'd say no way to something like that, but I'm surprised at how "normal" the idea sounds, from the descriptions I've read. What do you guys think?

Just make sure you settle on a price before you leave on the tour!

Just make sure you settle on a price before you leave on the tour!

Hey NewfieGirl4,

Did you go to see the Baths? We were also born and raised in Newfoundland and have seen big rocks in the water for most of our lives. Is it worth the excursion?

I am also looking at doing a private tour, not one of the open air safari type ones though. Does anyone have an idea of what a private tour with a couple of hours at a beach will cost? Or even a ballpark figure?

Thanks everyone!!

Hey NewfieGirl4,

Did you go to see the Baths? We were also born and raised in Newfoundland and have seen big rocks in the water for most of our lives. Is it worth the excursion?

I am also looking at doing a private tour, not one of the open air safari type ones though. Does anyone have an idea of what a private tour with a couple of hours at a beach will cost? Or even a ballpark figure?

Thanks everyone!!

Private taxi tour pricing. The driver will wait once free for 15 minutes, after that any wait time is $10/15 min blocks. So your group could stop at Brewers Bay or the Bananakeet for lunch for an hour for $30 or 2 hours for $70. The drivers will be very accommodating in that regard anyway...

EDIT - sorry the fare table wouldn't post legibly. How many people in your group?

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

Its our first visit to Tortola we are coming on a P and O cruise in March. I can't find anything except about Cane Garden Beach. We would like to see a bit of the island - but a 4 hour max tour - and time on the beach would be good.

We have been told to just grab a taxi at the pier - so what do we need to see?? would we get a taxi/van for 6/8??

Thank you very much

Helen

Its our first visit to Tortola we are coming on a P and O cruise in March. I can't find anything except about Cane Garden Beach. We would like to see a bit of the island - but a 4 hour max tour - and time on the beach would be good.

We have been told to just grab a taxi at the pier - so what do we need to see?? would we get a taxi/van for 6/8??

Thank you very much

Helen

Yes Helen there will be safari taxis ready to offer reasonably-priced island tours that include time at either CGB or Brewers Bay.