POC with toddlers - RC @ Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan

tropical82

I'm trying to think of things we can do at the ports of call. Preferably close to the ships but not a requirement.

Most of the time will be spent at the beach and I'm sure most are private and we have to pay to get into but there are sooooooo many! I'm interested in something with a glass bottom boat - my 2 year old would LOVE that. I think.

Maybe something with dolphins? Just not sure which activity would be best at which port and which private beach to pick.

Seems like Little French Key @ Roatan has a lot of cool things that would entertain the kids also.

Any experience/insight appreciated.

Most Caribbean beaches are PUBLIC...even in front of the hotels, the beach can be used by anyone.

You should get a guidebook on your ports...then you can choose the best beach for a toddler...some are better than others, and the book will tell you! Also, about dolphins, stingrays, etc.....

The glass bottom boat is NOT as much fun as you might imagine.....so unless it's a great price or you simply MUST do it...I'd skip that!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Cozumel - I'm liking the idea of Playa Mia especially with the little water park for my 2 year old and they seem to have a shaded kids section for dining. Seems kid friendly enough. I'm not sold on paying $50 per kid though.

I did look into Dolphin Encounter, but for infants you have to call and book? Anyone done this? Price?

Roatan - Little French Key with all the animals would be fun for him too.

Not quite sure about Belize still.

We went to those ports of call last year with our then 2 year old.

Belize - we stayed on the ship. There wasn't too much near by and he just needed some down time. The pools were not crowded and he spend some time in the kids club.

Cozumel - We went on a tour to the ruins that are on Cozumel and then we hit the beach.

Roatan - we went to the beach that is right at the pier. My son had a great time. We played in the sand, played on the playground and swam. If you walk all the way to the end, it is not crowded at all. The best part is that it was free.

The Belize Zoo is really lovely. We went before we had kids and really enjoyed it. The exhibits are very well designed so you can get really close to the animals.

In Roatan, we used Bodden tours to provide private transportation. I really like Roatan, but it isn't a port you would want to wander around by yourself so please book an excursion ahead of time. Our son really liked the iguana farm, where you can feed and pet iguanas. Victor Bodden also built monkey cages outside of his home, and for a small fee his tours can stop there. You should bring bananas for both the iguanas and monkeys, and you can either feed the monkeys through a cage or even go into a large cage where they'll jump all over you. Please note that the monkeys (at least the ones they had 5 years ago) liked to explore personal belongings so you wouldn't want to bring a purse, or sunglasses or they might take them. On our last trip to Roatan last January, they had added parrots and some other animals. There is also an eco walk at South Shore, which was manageable but a bit challenging for my 3 year old (I had to hold his hands to make sure he didn't fall since the bridges you walk across are quite hard). My son did a short hike through a rain forest at 2 in Costa Rica, but it was be physically a bit challenging for the parents who needed to provide assistance.

In Cozumel, we went to the dolphin park at Dolphinaris. It was nice, but nothing more spectacular than the other dolphin experiences we've done. We picked Dolphinaris because we wanted to do the all day dolphin training program, but there is also a dolphin encounter available at Chankanaab National Park, so if you went there you would be able to visit the dolphins and then the park easily.

On Roatan I would probably try the Iguana Farm or Gumbalina Park to see animals. There is also glass bottom boat tour there and there is a dolphin encounter at Anthonys Key Resort, but unless your child is really comfortable in the water I wouldn't try one (the dolphins are friendly but they are big and can be pretty intimidating even to adults!). The beaches are very nice on Roatan, great snorkeling right there and little wave action because of the reef. Do not bother with Tabayana beach excursions from the boat as it is cheaper to get there by Taxi (just ask to go to West Bay Beach)