Has anyone had a good experience at Epic's Cagneys?

coffeebean

I'm not reading glowing reviews about Cagney's food and service on Epic. In fact, I've read of a couple of really bad reviews about this specialty restaurant.

DH and I have dined in Cagney's on NCL's other ships such as Dawn, Gem, Jewel and Pearl and have always had a wonderful meal and service. Seems like Epic's Cagney's is having major problems with their food preparation and service.

What experience have you had if you have dined there?

I'm not reading glowing reviews about Cagney's food and service on Epic. In fact, I've read of a couple of really bad reviews about this specialty restaurant.

DH and I have dined in Cagney's on NCL's other ships such as Dawn, Gem, Jewel and Pearl and have always had a wonderful meal and service. Seems like Epic's Cagney's is having major problems with their food preparation and service.

On eastern 31.07.10

Worst meal of the week. The food was just ok, but the service was awful.

Moderno was amazing. Everyone we talked to on the ship said the same.

Dined in Cagneys twice on the transatlantic. Had a good experience both times. Steak was perfectly cooked melt in mouth - vegetables nothing to write home about though. Service was slow but that was not a problem for us. A couple on the next table had a show booked and they arranged to come back after the show to have their dessert. So best not to book it if you have a show to rush off to.

I agree. Something appears odd. I too have always had a great meal at Cagneys. It is one reason I book NCL. But there are some reviews lately that bother me. In addition, they come from people loyal to NCL and are raving about almost every other area on the ship. It is fine for you to have an "ok" meal but people have written that it was bad.

I am hoping it just was a bad cruise for Cagneys and things will improve by the time I get there.

I'm hoping that this is just because the ship is still new and the crew is still getting used to the Cagney's menu. I'm crossing my fingers that over the next few months they will work out the problems and bring the restaurant up to the standard that we all expect from Cagney's on other NCL ships.

Ate @ Cagneys twice on the TA, excellent meals both times (had the fillet mignon). First time, ate on the Moderno side while my dining companion had Moderno, Second time ate with friends, and didn't notice whether the service was fast or slow.

Thoroughly enjoyed both meals.

I had a great meal at Cagney's ordering the lobster tails. The service was also very good but I was with a group of nine so I might not have noticed if the service was slow. They also let us get stuff from Moderno's salad bar since it is right there.

I had a wonderful dinner on the TA and also dined in there one night on the 2-night inaugural out of NY. Both dinners excellent; and service was wonderful. I have no complaints. Even dinner in the Manhattan Dining Room and service was excellent every night. If you sail on her, say hello to Mary at the Martini Bar! She's fabulous! Will take very excellent care of you!

Sue

On Epic 7/10-7/17, dining twice at Cagney's. Everything was excellent (wife and I had 2 filets, prime rib, and lamb). Service was friendly and accurate but not overly speedy (which is fine by us as we like to take our time). Please note that we have eaten at Ruth's Chris and Morton's several times and thought that while not quite up to par with those restaurants, it was very good for a cruise ship.

On eastern 31.07.10

Worst meal of the week. The food was just ok, but the service was awful.

Moderno was amazing. Everyone we talked to on the ship said the same.

Moderno is wasted on me and the wife.

I can't eat non stop like some and my wife is Veggie.

We had a wonderful experience at Cagney's! We dined there after a horrible experience on the 4x4 jeep adventure in ST Marteen. The hotel manager Claus and food and beverage manager heard of our plight and made it right! Long story short, we were treated to a fantastic tasting meal from start to finish and the service was outstanding! Would highly recommend dining there!

We had a wonderful experience at Cagney's! We dined there after a horrible experience on the 4x4 jeep adventure in ST Marteen. The hotel manager Claus and food and beverage manager heard of our plight and made it right! Long story short, we were treated to a fantastic tasting meal from start to finish and the service was outstanding! Would highly recommend dining there!

What happened on your 4 x 4 Jeep Experience ?

We were one of the ones with a horrible experience. Disappearing waiter ... cold soup, overcooked steak, dry steak, spoiled crab legs ... waiter took our bottle of wine and never reappeared with it ... it was horrible (except for the shrimp cocktail - was awesome). Worst meal of the week. Moderno was much better. I was bummed. I didn't eat at Cagney's on POA last summer, so I was really, really, really looking forward to it. Also, the waiter kept calling my 17 yr. old son boy. I know that's a cultural thing - but the waiters in their top specialty restaurant need to be their best waiters and need to be trained.

Yes what happened on the 4x4 experience?

I am thinking of booking that in St Maarten

Wonder why I've read some really bad reviews about Cagney's on Epic...exact opposite of your experience. Hopefully, they are fixing what has been wrong in the past and will live up to Cagney's reputation on NCL's other ships.

It's a long story! to condense a bit - When we met at dockside we were asked to sign a waiver with changes to the excursion. Should have backed out at this point but we were 7 people and all set to go without other plans for the day ( would have been smart to have a plan B! ) There were supposed to be several stops during the excursion but they became only drive by's, the walkie talkie's issued to each jeep for tour info only worked partially and we missed a lot of the announcements, we made an unscheduled stop for "Beverage,snack and bathroom breaks" at an obvious friends venue when we were only 15 minutes away from our beach stop, The beach visit went from being 1.5 hour to 30 minutes, it started to pour and the jeeps covers were inoperable on most of the jeeps and young and old got drenched ( rain not their fault, of course, but faulty equipment is) , then upon arrival at the jeep exchange site they were ready to put us on a soaked open air bus when there was a dry regular bus sitting there empty! after an uproar they reluctantly put us on the dry bus! to top it all of they came by with evaluations and stood over us smiling while we filled them up. I promptly placed mine in my bag and went straight to the NCL excursion desk upon return to the ship. They took my info but did not get any real response till we spoke with Claus, great guy to meet at the "meet and greet". Would not recommend the 4X4 jeep adventure in ST Maarten!!!!!!!!!

It's a long story! to condense a bit - When we met at dockside we were asked to sign a waiver with changes to the excursion. Should have backed out at this point but we were 7 people and all set to go without other plans for the day ( would have been smart to have a plan B! ) There were supposed to be several stops during the excursion but they became only drive by's, the walkie talkie's issued to each jeep for tour info only worked partially and we missed a lot of the announcements, we made an unscheduled stop for "Beverage,snack and bathroom breaks" at an obvious friends venue when we were only 15 minutes away from our beach stop, The beach visit went from being 1.5 hour to 30 minutes, it started to pour and the jeeps covers were inoperable on most of the jeeps and young and old got drenched ( rain not their fault, of course, but faulty equipment is) , then upon arrival at the jeep exchange site they were ready to put us on a soaked open air bus when there was a dry regular bus sitting there empty! after an uproar they reluctantly put us on the dry bus! to top it all of they came by with evaluations and stood over us smiling while we filled them up. I promptly placed mine in my bag and went straight to the NCL excursion desk upon return to the ship. They took my info but did not get any real response till we spoke with Claus, great guy to meet at the "meet and greet". Would not recommend the 4X4 jeep adventure in ST Maarten!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your review of the Jeep tour. It sounds like weather was the main culpret. Outdoor excursions always suffer when it rains. I am not sure how any feedback to NCL or the excurision is going to change anything when it pours rain.

Its tough because if they cancel the excursion when it rains, there will be complaints. If they continue in the rain, they will get complaints.. It is a no win situation.

Jeeps are open air and rain could ruin the day for some. Thanks again for your input

The rain did not start till the last part of the excursion. Everything about this excursion just seemed " fly by night". It was a terrible excursion and did not offer up what it had said it would, rain or no rain. Good Luck with your plans!

Just got back from the Epic (8-14-21). Sitting here in Miami wating for a plane.

Our family of 5 dined at Cagney's Saturday 8/14 7:30pm and all had a wonderful meal. My wife and I had the Ribeye steak and they were cooked perfectly as requested. Same for the 3 kids. One of the most flavorful Ribeyes I have had in a long time.

Very attentive service, great sides.

At 730 the restaurant was very empty, not many tables being used. By 9 it was about 1/2 full.

We ate there the first night of our cruise this past week. The service was great. We had quite a few people waiting on us. All 3 of us ordered the prime rib which was very good. However, we landed up eating in the Manhattan Room a few nights later and prime rib was a special that night (served slightly different). We all ordered it again since it was really good the first night. My dissapointment was that we spent money at Cagney's and we didn't need too. Keep that in mind if you like prime rib.

The rest of the meal was really good. I was not expecting gourmet in any of the ship's restaurants.

Archived