Adriatic Explorer

Just booked the Adriatic Explorer cruise on the Majesty for September. We were keeping an eye on the price but decided to move to get the cabins on the deck we wanted, as there are three couples going. Could have got it a bit cheaper had we booked when the drinks package was lower but got not a bad price and glad we can relax with everything booked. Laura in our local Thomson travel shop is lovely to deal with, she matches online prices and managed to get the £50 incentive for each couple while keeping everything on the one booking, which you cannot do online. Anyway need to swot up on ports and things not to miss.

Hi we did the adriatic explorer last year well worth it as far ports are concerned

In koper we did the caves very good and worthwhile .

Venice we took the private boat transfer from the majesty and then did our own thing also we walked over the Rialto bridge way first then slowly worked our way back towards St marks square because when we arrived everybody stayed

Around that area and you could not move for crowds .when we came back a lot quiter also the que'swere down for attractions in the area .

We then went to Crotia can't remember the name but was easy going we just had a few drinks and had leasurly walk about.

Debrovnick was something else we did the wine tour really enjoyed that up into the hills above Debrovnick into a few winery's very good then back to ship about 13.00 then a trip I nto Debrovnick for the rest of the afternoon .

Koper in montenegro the sail was something else but have to be up eary. But worth it also had a lazy day strolling around .

The majesty itself you will enjoy it was our first time on it but been on a few of the thomsons ships but majesty is the favorite for us

Just a few ideas to look at hope it helps enjoy your we loved it. Keith

Hi Biffybear

I've done Adriatic Explorer twice (yes I liked it that much!) so I'll let you know what I did in case it helps, and try and keep it brief....

Koper - first time I did Caves & Castles excursion, which I really enjoyed. Second time I used the hints from this forum and got the local bus to Piran, which was an easy trip and a lovely port. I can give you more details if you're interested.

Venice - first time I got the express water bus from the cruise dock to St Marks Square, second time I walked to the people mover and then got a vaporetto - much preferred this as I got to see all of the Grand Canal. Both times I walked back through Venice to the Rialto bridge and got the vaporetto and the people mover to the boat. You can book the Doges Palace online in advance, St Marks and the Campanile you just have to queue for on the day (St Marks is free).

Split - I walked into the town from the dock (very easy walk), and just had a look around the old town, the palace etc. I had lunch in the main square on the other side of the old town, there was free wifi there which is always good to know!

Dubrovnik - both times I got the local bus to the Pile Gate, and then walked the walls - its definitely best to do this in the morning as even in September it can get really hot! Its well worth doing for the views though, its a beautiful city. The second time I went I then got the cable car and had lunch at the top overlooking the city, the first time I had lunch in the old city and went to the museums. You'll need to pay for the bus, the walls and the cable car in kuna not euros.

Kotor - such a beautiful place, definitely worth watching the sail in/out. The first time I walked up the path to the monastery - the destinations services team will be able to give you the details, its a tough old walk but the views are amazing! I then had a look around the old town. The second time I did a bike excursion that takes you out along the coast, an easy ride and a lovely morning out.

Hopefully at least some of that will be helpful! If you want any more details on any of the things I did just let me know.

Once again thanks for the great information. Would love to hear details of getting to Piran. All the ports seem to be easily accessible and a pleasure to visit. Will have a confab with my fellow shipmates about getting a plan of action for our time ashore.

Here's a link to the review I did a couple of years ago which includes details of our excursion to Piran. Quite easy - we've done it twice and I think Little Nell followed the instructions and did it too. (Just a word of warning though - I think on our previous visit we went to get the bus for the return and it left a few minutes early so perhaps worth getting there a bit before it's due to leave, say 10 minutes for safety, as if you'd arrived on the button you would have missed it.)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1205933&highlight=kruzseeka+piran

Hope you enjoy it.

Here's a link to the review I did a couple of years ago which includes details of our excursion to Piran. Quite easy - we've done it twice and I think Little Nell followed the instructions and did it too. (Just a word of warning though - I think on our previous visit we went to get the bus for the return and it left a few minutes early so perhaps worth getting there a bit before it's due to leave, say 10 minutes for safety, as if you'd arrived on the button you would have missed it.)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1205933&highlight=kruzseeka+piran

Hope you enjoy it.

I followed your recommendations and went to Piran on the local bus but they must have moved the bus stop and it was not easy to find. It was actually on the other side of the road. The bus timetable needs to be taken with a pinch of salt as it did not keep to time and there were a lot of people waiting to get on it when it did arrive. (lots of pushing and shoving to get on). On the way back in Piran, the bus stop area was very confusing as no one seemed to know where the bus would pull in among the many other cruise coaches which were using that area. It was well worth the hassle (that day) and I would definitely do it again as there is little to do in Koper.

I can look in my files and see if I kept my map and try to give more accurate details of the bus stop in Koper. I think it must have moved after Kruzseeka had been.

Kruzseeka, it was your original post that inspired me to DIY the second time, so thanks for that!

When I was there last time there was no sign of a generic tourist stand at the dock, just the ones for the coach tours (possibly because we docked on a Sunday?), so I used the ship's map to go to tourist information in town and they gave me a bus timetable. The stop was where you describe it as I recall, but as both stops (one on each side of the road) showed bus #1 as stopping there I did have a moment of doubt!

Other than that I would follow Jakanne's advice and get there a few minutes early at each end, just in case. Definitely worth doing though!

I've done a similar itinerary to this and like others have posted already really enjoyed the Castles & Caves tour in Koper and the wine tasting trip in Dubrovnik (the weather was awful when we were there, but didn't affect this trip).

In Venice I caught the People Mover, but then walked down the Grand Canal - it took me an hour to get to St Mark's square, but you see all sorts on the way and can explore little back streets too.

On a previous visit to Split I went to see the waterfalls in the Krka National Park - one to try if you like a nature walk.

I will be in Koper 30th May so if I get the chance I will find out where the bus leaves currently and post on here. I just vaguely remember it being in the middle of a large car park with a few shelters and benches for passengers. There was a roundabout nearby on the main road. On the return journey we were dropped off on the main road and we walked back to the ship through the old town.

this is a fantastic itinerary, we were on Majesty 2 years ago.

Venice - we booked the Thomson boat into Venice and did our own thing

Dubrovnik - Taxis galore as you get off the ship, it is 10 euros, share a cab with another couple or go on your own, it's the price of a couple of pints.

Kotor - there is a mini hop on hop off bus just over the road from the ship, beautiful sail in and out - not to be missed

Impatient to get away now. Everybody seems to have loved this particular cruise. We have been on cruises to the western med and the Greek islands but never the Adriatic. Have a wee sneaky week booked for Ibiza in July before that so will laze about in the sun before we sightsee to death in September.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.....we're also on the Adriatic Explorer in September......planning on booking the Gondola & St Marks for Venice and the Sea Kayaking for Dubrovnik.....going it alone for the rest of the time.....

I've been researching the ports on whatsinport.com and learnt about the tourist bus which leaves Kotor for around €20 and the Cable Car in Dubrovnik, although I will walk it if there's time, which have been previously mentioned......

• 1 month later...

The dock is on the other side of Dubrovnik from the old town. Sorry don't know what it's called but if you look on Google Earth you can see 2 cruise ships near a large bridge. There are frequent buses and lots of taxis just outside the port. It's a lovely place to dock, not industrial at all and a lovely sail in/out.

Hi Biffy

I've just bounced my old Adriatic Explorer reviews up the board for you- more light reading to inspire you!

I've done this cruise 4 times- must be good lol!

• 1 month later...

We used the people mover in Venice and then bought an all day ticket for the water bus. Saw most of the sights and ended up a stop called lido which turned out to be a nice beach. Had a nice ice cream there for 1 Euro each