Just wondering!!!

Jeffrey1950

For those of you who fly over night into London from the USA overnight and arrive the day of your Southampton-New York crossing. what do you do with your time while waiting to board the ship. Okay, I know first of all you have to get from London to Southampton but surely this would still get you in rather early. Yes, I know you could fly in early and stay in a hotel but that ads to the cost. Like I said just wondering. How do you pass the time?

I can tell you even if you arrive around 7 am, collecting luggage and getting through the airport will take about an hour, drive to Southhampton I would guess another 1.5 - 2 hours even in a private car depending on traffic, so that would get at the port just a little early.

So I can't imagine doing anything else, especially if I did an over night flight. Did that only once to Rome ... now always fly in at least one day in advance... I am coming from San Francisco. Long flight, big time change... like to board with at a good night's sleep.

I have flown into LHR twice in the last two years. Both times the planes landed between 6-6:30. Getting through the terminal (once at T5, once at T3) took 30-90 minutes (T5 was much busier). I had Smiths for airports pick me up and I was in Southampton between 9 and 10 am. Not a whole lot to do at that time especially with luggage.

My suggestion is to go a day early, have a chance to get a good night's sleep then enjoy a nice, leisurely breakfast and get to the terminal about 11. I realize going a day early costs a little more but what if something happens and you don't get to London on time?

... My suggestion is to go a day early, have a chance to get a good night's sleep then enjoy a nice, leisurely breakfast and get to the terminal about 11. I realize going a day early costs a little more but what if something happens and you don't get to London on time?
Very wise words Scrapnana, well said. Thank you :)

We even go a day early when travelling from Southampton - a four hour drive away! We once made the ship by the skin of our teeth after getting stuck for four hours behind an accident on the M4!

For the sake of £100 it's a no brainer to us.

If you can get to Southampton a day earlier then there are quite a few things to do. I live in the UK and go down the day before because our train and road transport snarls up at the most inconvenient moments. We stay at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Way. Fantastic views across the Solent and the cruise ships as they enter and leave S'ton. I book Afternoon tea at the Grand Cafe in Southampton. This used to be at Station Hotel and the place the rich stayed and took tea before sailing including Queen Victoria (the person, not the ship) on her way to her summer palace (Osborne House) on the aisle of Wight. There is a shopping mall called The Quays (I think) near the hotel if you have any yearning to do some shopping at Marks and Spencers, John Lewis etc and of course not forgetting the historical town of Southampton if you are interested in maritime history. There are lots of economy hotels, Premier Inn, Travel Lodge etc.

That said, if you do come over on the day, you are not going to have that much time to kill between getting from Heathrow to Southampton. I think they start accepting luggage at 11am. (Someone will correct me if I am wrong). So dump you main luggage and if you can't get on the ship then go for a morning coffee at the Grand Cafe and ask if they can show you the interior with its beautiful marble and stained glass walls and the first electric lift (elevator) in the UK. It used to be the Cunard offices before they moved to Carnival House - or so I was informed. Bon voyage

Edited by Queenie1603

Thanks, for your response's. I guess the best thing is to fly in ahead of time. Just me trying to save money being as I travel solo and the trip is very expensive as it is. I lived in the UK for 19 years then returned to the States so I have flown into Heathrow/Gatwick many times. Do not like Heathrow at all but we do what we have to do. When, I make a booking I will look into the hotel mentioned and Smiths. Used to like shopping at Marks and Spencer's ( Marks and Sparks) as we used to call it. I am off on an 8 day cruises somewhere else in 37 days have to get over that trip first then will be booking for 2016 on the Queen Mary I live 20 mins. from New Your that is a plus. Thank you again everyone. Safe travels my friends.

I have flown into LHR twice in the last two years. Both times the planes landed between 6-6:30. Getting through the terminal (once at T5, once at T3) took 30-90 minutes (T5 was much busier). I had Smiths for airports pick me up and I was in Southampton between 9 and 10 am. Not a whole lot to do at that time especially with luggage.

My suggestion is to go a day early, have a chance to get a good night's sleep then enjoy a nice, leisurely breakfast and get to the terminal about 11. I realize going a day early costs a little more but what if something happens and you don't get to London on time?

Totally agree with you Scrapnana. Hope you are keeping well.

I totally agree that flying in the night before makes the most sense. Having a good night's sleep, not being so concerned about lost luggage, not panicking when your flight from the US is delayed or canceled all help with a good start to your holiday.

However, it does cost more, and takes up an extra precious vacation day. We have used the Cunard coach from Heathrow, and by the time we got through Terminal 5, waited for our coach, dealt with road construction delays, it was after 11:30 when we got to Southampton and we were able to start the check in process.

We have also used Smiths - and one time we did a detour to Stonehenge for a bit of sight seeing - you could also arrange for them to take you to Winchester, the New Forest, or any other interesting sights in the vicinity. Just make sure you do leave enough time to check in before the ship sails (remember Hyacinth Bouquet!)

We even go a day early when travelling from Southampton - a four hour drive away! We once made the ship by the skin of our teeth after getting stuck for four hours behind an accident on the M4!

For the sake of £100 it's a no brainer to us.

The shopping is an added bonus too ;)

We always stay overnight, even though we are only two hours drive away. It means a relaxing start to the holiday.

We've done NJ to Heathrow 4 times and looking forward to our trip in Sept 2016. We always come in the day before to get adjusted to the time change. We love the first day of the cruise and we do not want to sleep through a minute extra.

I have not done this, but if you come in the day before you might be able to offset some of the hotel cost by taking the train or bus to Southampton. Also, research hotels. There are a few less expensive hotels, especially if you don't want to stay in the heart of the cruise area. There is a huge shopping center in Southampton. Last time we had forgotten a few things for a cruise to Norway and we were able to buy them at the shopping center for reasonable prices (especially compared to London). You also can eat at this shopping center to save money. Not gourmet, but our attitude is that we will have lots of great food on the cruise.