Need recommendation for private guide and driver in Rome?

Hi All,

As Murphy's law is in force world wide, ol' Ragnar unwittingly booked he and the missus to be in Rome at the very time of the cannonization of two popes (on 4/27).... I've seen articles indicating this will draw the largest crowd ever to Rome (for the popes, not to see ol' Ragnar). We have decided to only spend two days in Rome at the front end of the trip, then decamp to Tuscany, etc. This will be a couple of days before the cannonization ceremony.

Since Rome will likely be a madhouse at that time, I figure the only way for the missus to see all the sights and the Vatican is to engage a driver and guide, who can drive us in close to the sights and then get us past any lines.

Since the CC search function is down, we would appreciate any recommendations on private tours of this type in Rome.

Thanks,

Ragnar the Unwit

Hi Ragnar. Without hesitation we recommend Stefano at Rome Cabs. Romecabs.com. Great service. Benz vans. Stefano is the owner but has picked us up several times. Other staff are knowledgeable, well dressed, and know the business. Stefano has all the licenses and can seemingly park anywhere. Not kidding but parked right next to the Fountain of Trevi. If you have been there you know there is not much open space around. Parked actually on the steps of the Pantheon. :eek: Got us a private guide for the Vatican that took us past the lines through unmarked doors others did not have access to. Our times in Italy would not be nearly as memorable without Stefano's expert assistance.:D

Yep, it's unanimous: Rome Cabs @ romecabs.com! Not only did they take us and the Vandrefalks from Rome to Civitavecchia to catch our SD cruise, but we also hired them for the evening to take us all into Rome for a special dinner and were treated to an unexpected night of sightseeing afterwards on our way back to our hotel! ;D They are a reliable ~ and quite personable ~ service, but reserve asap as they do book up quickly!

I will also add my recommendation. Stefano at Rome Cabs is the best! Of course I started using him about 8 years ago. Now he has lots of others working for him but they are all good too. Try requesting Stefano if you want a very special tour.

I understand Stefano doesn't do many of the tours anymore, but the rest of his staff was outstanding. They have some "standard" tours, but will also do anything you like -- you just pay by the hour (in cash).

Yes, CDreamer, that was a memorable evening in Rome! :D

Vandrefalk

We are booked with RomeCabs for the "Rome in two days" tour, thanks for the recommendation! I did not use your name for the referral, so you will still be welcome by RomeCab. They will not profit from our tour, due to the mess and bugs ol' Ragnar will leave behind....

Should be a great time, have private guides at Vatican and Colosseum. And the tour includes interesting places I would not have thought to see. Bonus, we will store our luggage in the car the second day and they will drop us off at Termini at the end of the tour, for the next leg of our journey. Also booked the transfer from the airport to the hotel with them.

You have chosen wisely.:D If you get an elderly lady named Maria as guide at the Vatican, you are in for a treat. She has been doing tours at the Vatican for over 50 years. All the guards call her "Mother". She is probably up to a day with Ragnar.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Since no good deed goes unpunished, I have another recommendation request. We are flying into Gatwick at 6:20 PM and then staying at the Heathrow Sofitel to catch an early (for the Seadream set...) flight to LAX the next morning. We will have two stackable rolling carry-ons each in tow. Current plan is to just catch the Gatwick to Heathrow bus and dine at the Sofitel, then hit the hay.

Any suggestions for a more interesting, and gastrically rewarding, journey between the two airports? Keep in mind we will have carry-on luggage with us, and it takes some time to exit the airport. Would like to be in bed by midnight.

Thanks!

Ragnar,

Jim's right there are some amazing eats in this part of UK but do you really have the time ?

So

Happy to pick you up from LGW,

take you to lovely home for champagne or whatever

followed by simple meal (bowl of pasta; sorry) and great wines.

Taxi to Sofitel (£45) by friendly taxi driver

or

stay night (detached accommodation) followed next day by taxi to LHR

OR

On arrival, taxi to local hotel, have great meal, stay night, taxi to LHR.

http://www.alexanderhotels.co.uk/langshott-manor-luxury-hotel-surrey/

Dates ?

Hope it helps. Anyway, good luck. Just a thought.

Ragnar,

Jim's right there are some amazing eats in this part of UK but do you really have the time ?

So

Happy to pick you up from LGW,

take you to lovely home for champagne or whatever

followed by simple meal (bowl of pasta; sorry) and great wines.

Taxi to Sofitel (£45) by friendly taxi driver

or

stay night (detached accommodation) followed next day by taxi to LHR

OR

On arrival, taxi to local hotel, have great meal, stay night, taxi to LHR.

http://www.alexanderhotels.co.uk/langshott-manor-luxury-hotel-surrey/

Dates ?

Hope it helps. Anyway, good luck. Just a thought.

Ragnar you lucky boy, how can you beat that???:D

Ragnar you lucky boy, how can you beat that???:D

You're invited too anytime my friend ! And Ms.Lane !

And if you were staying longer, well we would really go to town !

(home is older than USA ! Set in historic, beautiful countryside: oh shut up !)

Ragnar, the word from the Cousins is that they have never made the LGW/LHR drive. My memories of that is the sole purpose in life on the M25 is to keep moving.:eek: They suggest you check out the Good Beer Guide for highly rated country pubs. You can find that on line at CAMRA, The Campaign for Real Ale. I have used the Good Beer Guide to much success in the past. At least I think I remember good beer.:eek: All this not necessary if you make the smart move and invade Casa de Ho-Hum.:eek::D Sounds like you have the makings of a great trip.

Ho-hum,

Thank you so much for the intriguing offer! Option two sounds great (pasta at Casa Ho-hum and a late cab to Sofitel), let me discuss it with the missus.

Also please consider carefully whether you want a churlish lout from vacuous southern California invading your country, let alone your personal sanctum :eek:

Thanks again,

Ragnar D.

Ho-hum,

Thank you so much for the intriguing offer! Option two sounds great (pasta at Casa Ho-hum and a late cab to Sofitel), let me discuss it with the missus.

Also please consider carefully whether you want a churlish lout from vacuous southern California invading your country, let alone your personal sanctum :eek:

Thanks again,

Ragnar D.

You are most welcome my friend. But DATES - DATES - DATES - DATES.

Away presently in south China Seas, so hope its not in next few weeks !!

Thanks Jim,

I too have used the Guide on our travels. Over the past few years I've developed an appreciation of India Pale Ales, and double-IPAs. The hoppier the better. But with names like Ruination, Palate Wrecker, etc., they are not so good to imbibe with or before fine foods and wines (such as those served at Casa Ho-hum) :D. In fact, I have determined that the optimum accompaniment for IPAs are tater tots, fresh from the Fry-o-lator :p. Mrs D finds my predilection for this pairing appalling, so I save it for après mountain biking with the guys... Hmm, I wonder if Seadream can indulge this vice?

What is your favorite style of beer/ale?

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Thanks Jim,

I too have used the Guide on our travels. Over the past few years I've developed an appreciation of India Pale Ales, and double-IPAs. The hoppier the better. But with names like Ruination, Palate Wrecker, etc., they are not so good to imbibe with or before fine foods and wines (such as those served at Casa Ho-hum) :D. In fact, I have determined that the optimum accompaniment for IPAs are tater tots, fresh from the Fry-o-lator :p. Mrs D finds my predilection for this pairing appalling, so I save it for après mountain biking with the guys... Hmm, I wonder if Seadream can indulge this vice?

What is your favorite style of beer/ale?

My fave beer is English Bitter. Local real ales where possible. :D

Ho-hum, it would be the evening of May 3rd.

South China Sea, Ragnar so jealous! What is your next port?

So sorry my friend, will be on SDII on the Mumbai - Athens trip.

Next stop Hanoi: day at sea to-day. Cold start but now sunshine at 11.15am here. Time for a glass.

Check out....idle jottings thread where ho hum keeps himself most time now for more info on trip.

A beer drinker. Indian Pale Ale brewed by the Brits when there was an Empire in India. Fascinating subject.

Because you have such great weather in S.California, you probably would'nt have great British beers (cooler climate),

The best is Adnam's range: Broadside, Gunhill & Bitter.

Good luck with your gastronomic adventure. Think of option 2 again, maybe.