Camera for Alaska cruise and beyond

We are going on an Alaska cruise this year and I am thinking about a new camera. Looking to get past the point and shoot cameras I have been enjoying over the years. That being said I am looking for some advice and guidance.

Background: Used to have a Canon AE1 (in the film days) with a few different lenses including a 70-110 zoom. I did OK with it but was tired of carrying a big case etc and went the route of simpler cameras. I have had 2 Kodaks (DX4330 and M853) and moved to Olympus Tough (older version) because i wanted a waterproof camera when snorkling. DH had an Olympus with many lenses (in the film days) and is a bit more skilled at picture taking than I am but I end of taking the pictures. DS has a Nikon Coolpix AW120.

I would like to have the flexibility of being able to get additional lenses if needed but would also like something fairly simple and not too big on a regular day. Basically like a point and shot when I feel lazy or want to share with DS but the ability to grow as my skills develop.Price - would like to stay in the 3-500 range but would consider a bit higher if the match seems right.

Thanks for any advice

The Sony A6000 seem to be right up the alley you are looking for. Great deals right now and with a 16-50 and 55-210 zoom bundle, you are covered for 99% of photo opportunities.

DSLR sensor in a P&S sized body with excellent autofocus and low-light capability. There are several regulars here that have switched to the Sony mirrorless cameras from DSLRs or added one to the kit for when they don't want to lug the big guns around.

I wrote a short review when I got mine: http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/a6000.html

It has a superb intelligent auto mode if you want to keep it simple and complete alternative mode or manual control if you want to take it off autopilot.

Worth a look.

Dave

I'm have been using a Canon SX40HS for about three years . The lenses is a 4.3 to 150 mm with a 35x IS.. I chose it because I needed a camera with an eye site instead of a LED screen only . With this camera you are actually looking thru the lenses. The lenses isn't replaceable. It has many settings that the higher price digital cameras have .