Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Seabourn Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Seabourn Cruise Line Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old December 20th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Recommendation for Lisbon

I've just booked a Transatlantic Seabourn cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon in April. This is our first time in Lisbon. Wonder any of you may have any recommendation on experiences, good food, hotel/resort/country house...in Lisbon? Thinking to take a river cruise but not sure if there'll be any river cruise at that region? And which river cruise/company is good? Would be interested in what you guys have experienced.

Old December 21st, 2005, 01:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Pestana Carlton Palace is a gorgeous hotel (an old palace) but it is a little far out of town. It is very near where the Seabourn ships dock. We walked down last time and watched the QM2 go out - she had docked next to us (the Pride) that morning.

Old December 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Lisbon, Portugal is a wonderful city!! I fell in love immediately.
You can pretty much do the "City Tour" in half a day. Seabourn offers one post-cruise for about $50, it's quite nice and get you aquianted with things. They drop you off at Le Meridien, which I reccomend if you like an upmarket modern hotel.

http://www.lemeridien.com/portugal/l...l_pt1604.shtml

If you plan to do any walking in Lisbon, I highly recommend bringing some sensible shoes as it's all cobblestone and very hilly!

Having already done the "city", we will be staying at the Praia Del Rey Marriott resort 40 mins north of the city in March:

http://www.marriottpraiadelrey.com/index_flash.cfm

I'm not sure about River cruises, but it sounds like fun!

Have a great trip!

Last edited by Host Dan; December 21st, 2005 at 07:40 PM.

Old December 21st, 2005, 02:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Another fabulous hotel is The Albatroz in Cascias (a small fishing village near Lisboa) The hotel will arrange pick-up/drop off also.
Beautiful, "picture postcard property."
Check it out on their web-site. The P.R. is a lovely lady named, Luz.
We already have luncheon reservations in their dining room for March 28th.

Happy Sailing!
Martita

Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
5,000+ Club

Spring Legend Crosser's.....if any of you need a car/driver for May 5th, in Lisbon, please post! We have used our driver for 4 years and he is THE best! His name is Miguel Conde.......I phoned him this week and made our reservations for March 28th and April 9th......
Will be happy to share this information!

Martita B.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just a suggestion

I was in Lisboa this past May(via HAL Prinsendam) - I agree it is a wonderful city. I walked most of the way - but they do operate those hop on/ off buses. This seemed a very good way to get an overview of the city. Don't miss the Tower of Belem!

One cab driver offered me an orange he grew in his backyard....the best I've had on years! Beautiful flowers.& people.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotterdam
but they do operate those hop on/ off buses.
Yes - they are handy, but be careful, there are a few different operators and you have to make sure you "hop" on the right bus!

Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMatt
Yes - they are handy, but be careful, there are a few different operators and you have to make sure you "hop" on the right bus!
You are right Matt! We had great luck with the (crowded) busses, but I understand others did not!

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Dan
You are right Matt! We had great luck with the (crowded) busses, but I understand others did not!

Host Dan
Dan, the ones we used weren't crowded at all....... interesting considering we were there at the same time. It must have been a different time of day.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:24 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMatt
Dan, the ones we used weren't crowded at all....... interesting considering we were there at the same time. It must have been a different time of day.
Actually we experienced the crowds at "rush hour". Everyone was headed home after work!

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Borges Lisbon

If I can get accomodations I would like to stay at Borges Miss M's hotel . The location is grrrreat !!!!!! I wanted to ask Miss M if they had a concierge or someone who could arrange a shuttle to the airport home . I will probably be having to depart the hotel at 4:00 a.m. for a 6:00 a.m. flight. I will need a way to get to the hotel will there be taxis at the pier ? The location is wonderful there and I want to get the atmosphere of Lisbon. Everytime I pull it up on Expedia it is always booked !!!!!!

Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

John, yes there are plenty of taxis or you can arrange a private car to pick you up at the pier while you are on the crossing. As far as the 4AM transit to the airport, if your hotel doesn't a shuttle, they will most certainly arrange a taxi for you. FYI, Lisbon airport is quite confusing so be prepared.
What is booked everytime you pull it up on Expedia?

Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry I realized that it did not say the hotel name . I looked up Borges Hotel where Miss M recommended and it is always booked. The location is superb , but I have to decide if I want a pool and spa etc. and less of a location to walk from . Traveling solo and trying to manage 3 suit cases and a carry on is hard to do so it is nice to have transportation waiting. There is a possibility that I could change the voyage to the 24 day Central America one if I don't get my dividend miles ticket . Rather than buy a more expensive plane fare I would just pay it for more Seabourn days !!!

Old December 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

FYI: The current issue of the Conde Nast Traveler (with all the 'best' lists) has a feature article on Lisbon.

And it has a two page article on piracy, with, I beleive, one of our Norm's photo, without attribution.

Old December 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martita B.
Spring Legend Crosser's.....if any of you need a car/driver for May 5th, in Lisbon, please post! We have used our driver for 4 years and he is THE best! His name is Miguel Conde.......I phoned him this week and made our reservations for March 28th and April 9th......
Will be happy to share this information!

Martita B.
Martha, we are going to be on the Silver Cloud doing the Lisbon to Genoa sailing the end of April and will be overnighting in Lisbon. Could you please email me Miguels information? dails2@charter.net

Thanks Martha! Hope to one day do a crossing with you!

Carnival Mardi Gras 04/75, NCL Skyward 05/84, NCL Southward 04/91, Carnival Ecstasy 12/93, Crown Princess 12/94, Seabourn Legend 05/96, Enchantment of the Seas 08/01, Celebrity Infinity 10/01, Rhapsody of the Seas 11/02, Splendour of the Seas 4/03, Splendour of the Seas 10/03, Silver Whisper 4/04, Caribbean Princess 11/04, Silver Whisper 5/05, Silver Whisper 11/05, Silver Cloud 4/06, Regent Navigator 12/06, Volendam 4/08, Enchantment of the Seas 04/09, Westerdam 10/09, Royal Princess 04/10, Eurodam 10/10, Ruby Princess 10/11, Noordam 04/12, Eurodam 11/12, Azamara Quest 4/13, Disney Wonder 11/13, Caribbean Princess 4/14, Azamara Journey 6/14, Silver Spirit 12/14, Silver Spirit 4/15

Old December 30th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Genie

Good Luck we are also going to be first time seabourn (pride) cruisers on a crossing but in March and all the info from others is just wonderful.

Old December 30th, 2005, 09:08 AM
5,000+ Club

Genie, where will you be staying in Lisboa after disembarking?
There are quite a few "Crosser's" that are also extending their holiday and will be visiting in and a 'round Lisbon.
Martita B.

Old December 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
5,000+ Club

John III,
The Borges Hotel is a grrrreat place to stay in Lisboa. We've stayed there for 3 yrs.....in the center of Lisbon. VERY inexpensive!
Info: call Reservations MG Mr. Fernando Abreu
351 213 461 951 FAX: 351 213 426 617
The hotel is located on Rua Garret Only 96 rooms (ask for a room on the 2nd floor as they have small balconies overlooking the cobblestoned street)
Wonderful restaurants on either side of the hotel. Shopping on the Blvd. is within a block.

Happy New Year!
MB

Old December 30th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are tentatively booked at olissippo castelo - found it on the venere website - didn't know anything about lisbon but it was supposed to be good and centrally located. we are planning three days there and then not sure what to do until we leave on April 6. Suggestions?

I'm on my way to Neiman's to buy pink stuff

Old December 31st, 2005, 09:13 AM
5,000+ Club

Genie, I remembered I had this information for a driver/car-Lisbon. The Company is: Tours For You www.toursforyou.pt/
Request either Rita or Orville
Staying in Portugal for a few days after disembarking the Pride, you will surely want a qualified driver.......J.B. and I stayed a few days last March in Lisboa and traveled a 'round Portugal. Fabulous country! Don't miss Obidos, Sintra or Cascais. (stop by and have a cocktail at The Albatroz Hotel in Cascais--unbelievably beautiful)

Martita B.