Question about Snorkeling at Grand Turk

irishmike22

We will be spending a day and Grand Turk and was looking into going snorkeling. We have snorkeled on differn't locations many times. Is there one excursion that is recommended over another. There is talk about a location called the "wall"which has a 7000 foot drop. The only excursion that says it goes there is the power snorkel. Has anyone done this before,does the noise from the machine scare away the fish. None of the other excursions even say if they go there or not and princess was not able to say. Any help would be greatly appreciatd

We will be spending a day and Grand Turk and was looking into going snorkeling. We have snorkeled on differn't locations many times. Is there one excursion that is recommended over another. There is talk about a location called the "wall"which has a 7000 foot drop. The only excursion that says it goes there is the power snorkel. Has anyone done this before,does the noise from the machine scare away the fish. None of the other excursions even say if they go there or not and princess was not able to say. Any help would be greatly appreciatd

We just did the power snorkel on Grand Turk earlier this month. It was fantastic! You start out in 12 feet of water and then swim a short ways to 40 feet (lots of fish and coral) deep and suddenly the water gets dark and it drops thousands of feet :eek:. Lots of fish and coral right up to the edge. As my Dad always said, if it is over your head it doesn't make a difference whether it is 50 feet or 500 (or 5000).

We liked it so much I told my husband I want a power snorkel (we live on the beach).

We did the power snorkel from the beach out to the wall. Too long I think because the vibration really got to your arms after a while. The experience of passing over the wall is incredible though. I did cut the power to soak in the quiet and the deep blue. I do think you see less fish though as you don't really do reefs as you head out to the wall. I actually has flashbacks to the movie Jaws when the rotors of the helicopter attracted the great white! The power snorkel is pretty rhythmic and the one I had was pretty loud. There is another snorkel area called the hole which is pretty decent. We always see a 6 foot barracuda that hangs out there. You need to go by boat to get there. We have seen turtles spotted rays and lots of fish there.

• 1 month later...

We went snorkeling with Crystal Seas Adventures on 4/5/2014. We went to two locations - a shallow reef fairly close to the island, and then to the wall (which is also close to the island, but slightly farther out). We saw LOTS of fish at both locations, plus turtles and a sting ray (and we were doing a regular snorkel). This was an absolutely wonderful snorkeling experience.

Edited by grumpypenguin