Really... No Ferry to St Georges until 5/28/2014?

not2old

Just got off the phone with Ferry Terminal and the gentleman who answered the phone reports that there is no ferry service from the Dockyard to St Georges until 5/28/2014.

Also spoke with people at Bus Terminal who state that busses to St Georges and Hamilton will run from /dockyard and back every 15 minutes..... on Monday 5/26 which is Bermuda Day. Neither of these statements sound correct, is here anyone out there more familiar with the bus/ferry schedules for the holiday? I can't find them on any website, just that service on holidays and sundays are different than on week days. Thanks for any info!

Just got off the phone with Ferry Terminal and the gentleman who answered the phone reports that there is no ferry service from the Dockyard to St Georges until 5/28/2014.

Also spoke with people at Bus Terminal who state that busses to St Georges and Hamilton will run from /dockyard and back every 15 minutes..... on Monday 5/26 which is Bermuda Day. Neither of these statements sound correct, is here anyone out there more familiar with the bus/ferry schedules for the holiday? I can't find them on any website, just that service on holidays and sundays are different than on week days. Thanks for any info!

http://www.seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202014.pdf

I believe it starts April 28th.

As the previous poster noted, ferry service to St. George is scheduled to start April 28, not May 28.

As far as buses are concerned, because there are two routes between Dockyard and Hamilton ( 7 and 8) midday service on Sundays and holidays does run about every 15 minutes because each of the routes runs every half hour on staggered basis so that a bus is leaving every 15 minutes. That's fine if you're going to someplace like Somerset or Hamilton that is served by both routes, but if you're going to one of the South Shore beaches you can only take the #7 so it's a half hour between buses. Similarly between Hamilton and St. George's, because there are four routes (1, 3, 10 and 11) a bus should be running at least every 15 minutes in mid day...but if you're going to an intermediate point on the route and need one specific bus that serves it there's a longer headway. Also note that there is greatly reduced bus service outside of the mid day hours.

By the way there is no direct bus service from Dockyard to St. George's on any day. It always requires two buses...one between Dockyard and Hamilton and a second between Hamilton and St. George's.

Here's link to the bus schedule. You'll see that the holiday bus schedule is the same as the Sunday bus schedule.: http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf

Edited by njhorseman

Now I am bummed :(

I will be in Bermuda on October 26 to 28....ferry to St-Georges stops on the 26....

I had plenty of plans for St-Georges... Spending a couple of hours on a bus is not in my plans....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If there are no buses running, you could always rent a scooter! I saw a video yesterday that someone had posted that was actually several photos along the way, it looked like all back country roads and very scenic....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, not "back country roads." Think narrow, two-lane, twisty, hilly roads with no shoulders, big buses and lots of other traffic, and you are driving on "the other side" so your instincts are all wrong. Many threads on here discuss the "wisdom" of doing this.

This will be my 3rd time to Bermuda and NO scooter rental for me...at home I drive a motorcycle so I know how but I have seen crazy driving in Bermuda and I do not want to be part of the statistic :(

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

njhorseman: When I was there 2 weeks ago, I was told by a transit officer that they are hoping the Ferry for Dockyard - St. George will start in April as planned, but the ferry is under repair. So OP may not be misinformed??

seabas: Still doable; instead of bus ride, ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton is 20 min., than bus from Hamilton to St. George is 50min. I left Explorer OTS at 9:15am and returned by 3:30pm on a recent day trip from Dockyard to St. George. The bus and ferry rides were both scenic and interesting to me. They, especially the ferry, are generally punctual to the schedule.

Transit authority also appeared to be very aware of cruise pax's needs. Extra buses and ferries were provided at Explorer's arrival and departure. Overall, Bermuda public transit was quite impressive.

njhorseman: When I was there 2 weeks ago, I was told by a transit officer that they are hoping the Ferry for Dockyard - St. George will start in April as planned, but the ferry is under repair. So OP may not be misinformed??

seabas: Still doable; instead of bus ride, ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton is 20 min., than bus from Hamilton to St. George is 50min. I left Explorer OTS at 9:15am and returned by 3:30pm on a recent day trip from Dockyard to St. George. The bus and ferry rides were both scenic and interesting to me. They, especially the ferry, are generally punctual to the schedule.

Transit authority also appeared to be very aware of cruise pax's needs. Extra buses and ferries were provided at Explorer's arrival and departure. Overall, Bermuda public transit was quite impressive.

The summer ferry schedule was published after you were in Bermuda, and it reflects a one week delay in the start of the ferry service from the originally planned date of 4/21 to 4/28...so my inclination is to believe the published schedule over what an employee said...particularly since a one month gap isn't consistent even with what you were told about still hoping to start the service in April.