Escape DR

dogboy

NCL has freestyle so not as much of the assigned seating and such. If you look at other threads on NCL most say the solo meeting the first day is the best b/c they will pair you up with other people who are traveling solo.

NCL has freestyle so not as much of the assigned seating and such. If you look at other threads on NCL most say the solo meeting the first day is the best b/c they will pair you up with other people who are traveling solo.

Yea, that's what I think the Maitre d' will say. Don't really feel like spending time on my vacation day to try and get someone to hopefully have dinner with. A few share tables would be fine. It's a cruise tradition after all. It's the only part of the cruise I'm worried about.

I get the impression solos all meet and go to dinner together. There are A LOT of solo cabins, I haven't seen anyone post that this ended up being an issue at all on the breakaway class ships or epic.

I get the impression solos all meet and go to dinner together. There are A LOT of solo cabins, I haven't seen anyone post that this ended up being an issue at all on the breakaway class ships or epic.

Thank you. Fair enough. But still don't know why I have to eat with only Solo passengers- it's not a Singles cruise. Reminds me of the students in middle school who stayed in one classroom all day while everybody else switches from room to room.

Thank you. Fair enough. But still don't know why I have to eat with only Solo passengers- it's not a Singles cruise. Reminds me of the students in middle school who stayed in one classroom all day while everybody else switches from room to room.

Also, This is the transportation for solos to and from the pier

b4c110475407a2d0f3bb5a3f16c6956b.jpg

Edited by Saint Greg

• 1 month later...

A reminder. But for the grace oGod. . Some of us who wEre with our spousses for 50 years had EVERY REAson to expec t we would reemain a couple for many more years. My DH was still working and was remarkably healthy and then he wassn't

It Can happen suddenely and without expectation to anyone. (No matter how smug and arrogant), none of us are immune. We left for a cruise and he was fine We usdsedx TO WALK MILESMOST NIGHTs AFTRT DFINN\T, aCTIVE ROBUst PEOple. . When we came homerit Was\clear asserious illeness was devloping (not cancert or heart)

B ee csareful what you are saying to ohers. put away the smugness and arrogance.Keep the wis e ujncracks SAID. TheySAY MODE AbOUFT YOU tHAN the tgargetof your disdain.

Edited by sail7seas

The main issue with NCL and freestyle is that most people request a table that matches the size of their party. There is no assigned dining time/seating, so unless a couple actually requests a larger table so they can eat with strangers there likely won't be a situation for you to dine with non-solos.

What is your opposition to sitting with others travelling solo like you?

If you don't want to eat with only solo travelers then I'd recommend you find another cruise line. Most will allow you to tell the guy at the desk at the dining room that you would like to share a table and will put you with a mix of folks who all requested to share...or even ask you when you come to dine if you would like to share a table. NCL does not seem to do that. So your only reasonable way to share is to go to the solo meetup and eat with them.

Feel free to go on your own to the DR and ask to share, but the experience of folks on this board is that NCL just doesn't do that. Complaining to us isn't going to help, unless someone on this board is an NCL exec in disguise! :)

I know the OP already sailed, but I had to respond to this because someone who hasn't sailed NCL might read it and get the wrong impression. There seems to be a lot of shade tossed at NCL as being the wrong choice and unaccommodating to the solo traveler, which in my experience isn't true.

#1 you aren't required to eat with other solo travelers. There is a pre-dinner get together every night around 6 in the solo lounge. The director has a sign up sheet for people who want to share dinner, shows, outings, etc. but it's not by any stretch of the imagination compulsory. In my solo cruising, I've only eaten twice with my fellow solo group, and know that many others didn't eat in the group every day either.

#2 on the solo cruises I've taken, once the the hostesses have discovered I was sailing alone, they've always taken the initiative and asked me if I wanted to join another table. They were actually rather insistent that I dine with others, despite my argument that I wanted to just listen to the band and enjoy my meal instead of engaging in small talk with others.

Also, it's been my experience that when anybody on a cruise finds out that you're alone, they'll ask you to share a meal with them, go to a show together, join them on an excursion, etc. One particularly gregarious couple I met at the 80s night bash even invited me back to their cabin for an "after party".

So, if you're sailing Norwegian, just let people know you're alone, and you might get more attention than you bargained for.