Seeking Suggestions for Arranging Excursions on our Own

SweetPease

We are cruising to Alaska in June on Regatta. 2 years ago when we took a 17 day cruise on the Marina to the South Pacific, we did several excursions arranged personally either by us, or others on the same cruise. We found these excursions to be quite a bit cheaper than those offered by Oceania and just as good (if not better in some instances). Has anyone ever arranged any excursions in Alaska and, if so, will you kindly share which ones and the experience? Thanks for the help!

First, I suggest you find the roll call for your cruise and see if others are setting up independent tours. Most of the time, at least a few are.

Then you could also consult the Ports of Call for Alaska. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Good luck.

Mura

Thank you Mura. There is a roll call, but so far, no one has talked about independent excursions. Will check out the link your provided.

Another think you can do is check out past roll calls for your itinerary. I've done that in the past and have gotten good information. It can at least give you an idea of what is available where.

We arranged our excursions independent when on the Regatta in Alaska last year. The Alaska board is a good place to get excursion ideas. We always go whale watching in Ice Strait Point or Juneau. Of 9 Alaska cruises one of the best excursions we’ve taken was out of Sitka with Gallant Adventures last year. We saw a more diverse selection of wildlife than we had ever seen before on one excursion.

When we’re unfamiliar with ports and excursions we go to the line’s excursion page, pick a few that we’d like, and start search for the vendor and reviews to book independent.

We arranged our excursions independent when on the Regatta in Alaska last year. The Alaska board is a good place to get excursion ideas. We always go whale watching in Ice Strait Point or Juneau. Of 9 Alaska cruises one of the best excursions we’ve taken was out of Sitka with Gallant Adventures last year. We saw a more diverse selection of wildlife than we had ever seen before on one excursion.

When we’re unfamiliar with ports and excursions we go to the line’s excursion page, pick a few that we’d like, and start search for the vendor and reviews to book independent.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas! We knew we would want to do the whale watching and Hubbard Glacier in Juneau. Had not thought about Sitka yet. Will look into the Gallant Adventures.

Again, many thanks!

We were in Sitka in June 1990 on a Princess cruise ... in Sitka we thoroughly enjoyed just walking around ... (I'm going by memory since I evidently didn't keep a diary on that trip!)

Of course, back then we walked for longer distances than we do these days!

I also recall that we used a ship's tour for a flight to Tracy Arm from Juneau. Back in those days we used ship's tours if we did any official tours. At any rate, this was a small seaplane -- maybe 6 passengers, if that. It was delightful.

Mura

We were in Sitka in June 1990 on a Princess cruise ... in Sitka we thoroughly enjoyed just walking around ... (I'm going by memory since I evidently didn't keep a diary on that trip!)

Yes, Sitka is also a very good walking port. Fewer cruise ships visit there so it's retained some of that Southeast Alaska charm.

We got a lot of good ideas from the Alaska Forum. In Juneau, we booked a private walking tour of the city - and very much enjoyed it. Your excursions should be based on your interests, and what you enjoy doing. It really does help to do a little research - and figure out what excursions you might want to book through the cruise line and which ones to book independently.