Lyft from LAX to San Pedro hotel.

GweninTX

Yes - we have worlds of time. Unless of course, there are really downsides to one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is a personal choice. I wouldn't take a shuttle if it were free, I just don't like them. When we cruise out of Los Angeles we always take a town car. Of course we pay more, but we don't spend thousands of dollars for a cruise to skimp on our transportation.

You should do what you think is best for you.:):)

In NZ we have Uber but not Lyft, so I've never used the later but have used Uber lots in NZ and quite a bit in the USA.

My off-topic question is: why use Lyft over Uber? Is it better? Should I set myself up on Lyft before I arrive and use that instead?

Cheers!

JohnO

• 2 weeks later...
In NZ we have Uber but not Lyft, so I've never used the later but have used Uber lots in NZ and quite a bit in the USA.

My off-topic question is: why use Lyft over Uber? Is it better? Should I set myself up on Lyft before I arrive and use that instead?

Cheers!

JohnO

Lyft is supposed to be the more laid back approach. In theory you ride up front rather than in back, the driver may play mood music, more likely to engage in conversation, things of that nature. While Uber is supposedly the more professional/less personal of the two. With any other human powered product YMMV.

I'll leave the data collection and access differences out as I can only find information painting one side in a negative light.

That's an interesting insight...

What I have found with Uber in the US (mostly HI) was that the drivers were an interesting cross section of locals driving for a second job/bit of extra cash. Generally pretty interesting people, and I always jumped in a front seat.

Here in NZ, the Uber drivers are mostly immigrants, usually Indian. I don't know why other groups seem less interested in Uber driving. I have nothing against Indian drivers other than the fact some are hard to have a conversation with due to my bad hearing and their strong accents.

Oh, forget about it. Lyft don't seem to care/be aware that there is a world outside of the USA. You need to use a US phone number to register.

Hopeless.

That's an odd oversight, especially if their main competitor will allow it. You said you used Uber in Hawaii, how did you find availability/wait times?

Hawaii - we were doing the NCL Pride of America cruise around the 4 islands. Oahu and Maui had Uber but not Big Island nor Kauai. Wait times were fine as far as I recall, but we were there for the week after Thanksgiving and things were really quiet. On Kauai I just rented a Hertz car - it was like $10 a day! The guy explained that there was nobody renting cars and they were better to give them away than find places to store them.