New Member question about child documents

Harooni

Technically, you should have a notarized "Authorization for International Travel with a Minor" signed by your Mom and notarized. Most likely, nobody will ever ask to see this letter but it is a requirement. If the cruise line (or the government officials) ask to see your consent form and you do not have it...they could deny you boarding. There are some standardized forms you can download online...although we think its wise to call the cruise line and ask if they have their own form. Although your Passport is enough to travel/cruise (along with that form signed by your Mom) it can be helpful to also carry some other form of picture ID. Some ports require a picture id to get back on the ship, and if you have a decent picture ID card it can save having to carry your Passport off the ship.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Technically, you should have a notarized "Authorization for International Travel with a Minor" signed by your Mom and notarized. Most likely, nobody will ever ask to see this letter but it is a requirement. If the cruise line (or the government officials) ask to see your consent form and you do not have it...they could deny you boarding. There are some standardized forms you can download online...although we think its wise to call the cruise line and ask if they have their own form. Although your Passport is enough to travel/cruise (along with that form signed by your Mom) it can be helpful to also carry some other form of picture ID. Some ports require a picture id to get back on the ship, and if you have a decent picture ID card it can save having to carry your Passport off the ship.

Hank

pretty sure you meant to say "his mom", not "your mom", correct?

good advice anyway!

thanks for all the help , yes his mom signed one and had it notarized but she used two different black pens one to fill out the first part and a different one the notary gave her to sign address and date it , will that be ok as long as its notarized?

i dont understand why she would take time and use one pen to avoid any problem . smh

Edited by Harooni

thanks for all the help , yes his mom signed one and had it notarized but she used two different black pens one to fill out the first part and a different one the notary gave her to sign address and date it , will that be ok as long as its notarized?

i dont understand why she would take time and use one pen to avoid any problem . smh

She probably filled it out at home and used the Notaries pen to sign it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

She could use 20 pens and it would be fine. In fact, she could do what the President does and sign each letter of her name with a different pen...although that does seem a bit silly. What matters is that the signature is notarized. And as I said earlier, it is very doubtful that anyone will ask to see the document. But it is one of those things you just have to do to cover all the bases.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

She could use 20 pens and it would be fine. In fact, she could do what the President does and sign each letter of her name with a different pen...although that does seem a bit silly. What matters is that the signature is notarized. And as I said earlier, it is very doubtful that anyone will ask to see the document. But it is one of those things you just have to do to cover all the bases.

Hank

thank you sir, very helpful . at first glance i thought your screen name was Hitler. lol

She probably filled it out at home and used the Notaries pen to sign it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

that is exactly what happened , i guess im just nervous because the last thing i need is to be out $2000 my son crying and me standing at the port waving goodbye. :(

that is exactly what happened , i guess im just nervous because the last thing i need is to be out $2000 my son crying and me standing at the port waving goodbye. :(

It will be just fine! Enjoy your son and the cruise :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We got our daughter her first passport at age 3, and we've kept renewing it and using it on cruises for her ID. I think a few of the security personnel get a kick out of us offering it to them when we're returning to the ship. I like that it has a photo of her while her BC doesn't. She even used it a few months ago as ID when taking the ACT test.

Edited by Cruisin' Chick
test not text

We got our daughter her first passport at age 3' date=' and we've kept renewing it and using it on cruises for her ID. I think a few of the security personnel get a kick out of us offering it to them when we're returning to the ship. I like that it has a photo of her while her BC doesn't. She even used it a few months ago as ID when taking the ACT test.[/quote']

yes i see however his mom is not going and im not on his BC as the father because i never signed it, we were not married. so its me and my son, and he does have my last name though and his passport. and this consent form i just had notarized.

yes i see however his mom is not going and im not on his BC as the father because i never signed it, we were not married. so its me and my son, and he does have my last name though and his passport. and this consent form i just had notarized.

It's my understanding, that, as both parents have to sign a passport application for a child, if the child has a passport, both parents have basically already given "permission" for that child to be taken out of country.

I could be wrong.

I think a letter (from the mom) stating that his mom is aware that he will be traveling with you with destinations and dates specified, would be a good idea, in case it's not.

Edited by Shmoo here

If you want to super duper careful.... when I cross the border with my grand kids I always tell my kids that they need to be available by phone, just in case. So if you plan on boarding between 2 and 4, just tell her to make sure she picks up if you call. Not that it has ever happened but I like to be covered.

Crossing into Canada, driving, yes I've been asked each and every time. I give them a copy of the notarized letter, I make a copy of each parent's passport showing their signature to match the letter. The last time I took all 4 kids my son gave me 3 papers and my daughter gave me around 10. I told the border guy that my daughter says if this is not enough she'll give him any document he wants as long as I'm taking the kids for a week :rolleyes:.

On a cruise ship, I've been asked for the letter getting on and off both by US and Canadian Immigration.

Kind of off topic and not my business, but you do realize you can have his "birth certificate" re-issued and you named properly as his father. You don't need to have married the mother to be listed. For your son someday this may be important.

Sorry just the nosy interfering grandmother speaking here....

Sorry do not mean to offend you!

Edited by nana541

Kind of off topic and not my business, but you do realize you can have his "birth certificate" re-issued and you named properly as his father. You don't need to have married the mother to be listed. For your son someday this may be important.

Sorry just the nosy interfering grandmother speaking here....

Sorry do not mean to offend you!

no offense taken, i am going to do that, but as i leave in less than 2 days ,will not help me lol