Changing Terminals at JFK

Taters

Three of us are flying from FAI to BCN with 5 changes of planes - OY. We'll arrive into JFK on American Airlines at 5:30 PM and have a 7:30 PM flight to Paris via Air France. I've looked at the JFK airport map and it looks like we'll have to transfer from Terminal 9 to Terminal 1. I've read horror stories about this airport since purchasing our tickets. (Too late smart.) Will we have leave the secure area at JFK to change planes/terminals, or does their inter-terminal transportation system keep you within the secure area of the airport?

Thanks so much,

Taters

Three of us are flying from FAI to BCN with 5 changes of planes - OY. We'll arrive into JFK on American Airlines at 5:30 PM and have a 7:30 PM flight to Paris via Air France. I've looked at the JFK airport map and it looks like we'll have to transfer from Terminal 9 to Terminal 1. I've read horror stories about this airport since purchasing our tickets. (Too late smart.) Will we have leave the secure area at JFK to change planes/terminals, or does their inter-terminal transportation system keep you within the secure area of the airport?

You will have to leave the secure area at T9 and make your way to T1, then go through security again. You can find out more on the logistics of the airport AirTrain at THIS LINK on the Port Authority website. You would want the inner loop for All Terminals, even though you are going the "long way" around the terminal loop. That's because the Red/Green route goes off airport and would take longer to get to T1.

The good news is that T1 is new and works well.

A bigger concern to me would be the issue of 5 connections - with 6 flights, your luggage might have more segments than the baggage computer systems are set up to handle. I would be on the phone with a supervisor at each airline I was taking -- checking on the capability of the baggage system to handle that many segments. From personal experience, I know that many AirFrance stations (including Lisbon, if you are coming back from there) cannot handle more than 3 segments. I had luggage that the computer tagged to end at the third segment, not the fourth as I needed. The AF ground staff at LIS refused to hand-tag the bag, so I was forced to make a manual recheck in Houston. So, you might want to see about checking the bags only from FAI to JFK and doing a re-check with AF at T1. Not a lot of time for that, but better than not having luggage at all and wondering where it might be.

Also, that many segments means that online check-in is unlikely.

BTW, I really have to find out -- just what is this itinerary? Sounds like a semi mileage run to me. My guess is AS from FAI to ANC, then AS to SEA, then to ORD or DFW on AA connecting to JFK, then AF to Paris and on to BCN. Be sure to get your FF miles for this one -- should be around 18,000 miles for this one. You can get AS credit for the AA flights, but be careful with the AF flights - if you are in G, L, N, or U fare class, you won't be eligible for AS miles. If so, find another program to credit those flights to, so that you don't lose over 8000 miles. If in doubt, call AS mileage plan.

If I was wrong with any assumptions in the prior paragraph, let me know and I'll check out your specifics.

One other tip -- research all the airports you are connecting through, so you will be well informed about how your other connects will work out.

I agree with Flyertalker.

Check the luggage to JFK, claim it at AA, and then recheck it at AF.

I personally wouldn't trust 5 connections as well as a connection on non partner carriers (AA to AF). At least you KNOW the luggage made it to JFK if you only check it to JFK. Maybe a little bit of a hassle, but looking for luggage with 4/5 connections would be more hassle. You will have to hustle to make the AF connection, but should be doable.

Thanks for the speedy replies! I appreciate knowing which train to take at JFK to get to the other terminal.

We're doing a Transatlantic cruise, Barcelona to Miami, on December 2nd, so the domestic portion of my air travel is on mileage... FAI-BCN/MIA-FAI.

I paid for one way tickets on Air France to cross the pond.

The entire air itinerary is this: FAI-ANC-SEA-JFK-CDG-BCN... Then MIA-DFW-SEA-FAI.

On the advice of Alaska Airlines, I booked the transatlantic air with an Alaska Airlines partner (Air France) so that bags can be checked all the way through to Barcelona. All I have to do is show the Alaska agent our Air France confirmation upon check-in in Fairbanks. The Alaska Airlines staff in FAI is very used to sending folks on multiple legs, so I am confident that their advice will work for us. (Ok - Semi-confident.)

Our stop-overs get shorter as the itinerary progresses... 4.5 hours in ANC, 4 hours in SEA, 2 hours @ JFK, 1.5 hours @ CDG.

If things go wrong then I will just deal with it... We're scheduled to arrive in Barcelona 2 days prior to the cruise.

Thanks again!

Taters

Also... I think your advice is quite good... If the Alaska Airlines ticket agent seems to be even a little bit concerned, then maybe we SHOULD plan on rechecking our bags st JFK. With only 2 hours between flights though, assuming our flights are on time, do you think we'll make it? By the time we get off the plane, get our suitcases, and get over to the other terminal at least 40 minutes will have passed. Then to get rechecked and through security? Is this really doable?

I am wishing I had booked the 10 PM flight out of New York, but a five hour layover seemed like a crazy thing after all of those other long layovers at the time I was making the arrangements. Like I said before, too late smart. This is our first trip to Europe and I have already learned a lot!

Taters

Five flights, four connections, lots of waiting time....I hope that you have a Board Room membership. If not, and you don't want to buy a full year, you might want to consider getting a 60 membership in the NW World Club for $85...that would get you into the AS Board Room in ANC and SEA (and the SEA WC), as well as the AF lounge at BCN. May or not be able to access the AF lounge at CDG T2E. On the way home, depending on your airlines, you might be able to use the DL lounges at MIA and DFW or the CO lounge at DFW. Nice relaxing environments, with beverages and snacks, comfy chairs and clean bathrooms.

As for your luggage....the good news seems to be that there is another AF flight after yours to CDG, so it's likely that your bags will at least cross the pond on the same evening that you do. They might be late getting to BCN, but they should make it to Europe.

Use your best judgment. Express your concerns to the AS staff and gauge their reactions. Then go forward!! Have fun, and let us know if you need more info.

Actually, 6 flights, 5 connections, but who's counting? LOL I don't have board room privelages, but I do know people in high places (I work in aviation) who may be able to tweak a few rules for me. We'll see. To me it's not really that important.

You brought up another good point about the bags catching up with us later, if necessary... I will pack a couple of extra shirts and pair of pants in my travel bag and hope for the best... That way, if I am prepared NOTHING will go wrong! If I am NOT prepared, all the poo will hit the fan.

I will go boldly and fearlessly into the great unknown.

Taters

• 3 weeks later...

My flight times have changed a little bit since I first posted this thread... We now have a 2.5 hour layover at JFK - Plenty of time to change planes, better anyway, than the original 2 hour layover.

The real point of this response, however, is that I had Alaska Airlines check the policies for me and yes - it is true, I really can send my bags all the way through from FAI to BCN without hesitation. Air France will deliver my bags to my hotel in Barcelona if they don't appear on the baggage belt when we arrive. As partner airlines, Alaska and Air France have a solid baggage agreement.

Cool! (I am also keeping in mind that anything can happen and that all of this planning can go down the tubes at any minute! LOL)

Taters

My flight times have changed a little bit since I first posted this thread... We now have a 2.5 hour layover at JFK - Plenty of time to change planes, better anyway, than the original 2 hour layover.

The real point of this response, however, is that I had Alaska Airlines check the policies for me and yes - it is true, I really can send my bags all the way through from FAI to BCN without hesitation. Air France will deliver my bags to my hotel in Barcelona if they don't appear on the baggage belt when we arrive. As partner airlines, Alaska and Air France have a solid baggage agreement.

Cool! (I am also keeping in mind that anything can happen and that all of this planning can go down the tubes at any minute! LOL)

Taters

For what it's worth, I wouldn't recommend trying to claim luggage in JFK and recheck it - the scheduled arrival time of your SEA flight is only 2 hours before - and coming in on a 737/757 or larger plane. It will likely take AT LEAST 30 minutes for your bags to come off the belt, then another 20-30 minutes to train to T1; then you'll have to line up and check your bags with Air France less than 1 hour prior to departure?

I would rely on the airline to connect your bags, but be prepared with your carryon having changes of delicates and necessities just in case.

What's the old saying? Hope for the best but prepare for the worst?

Enjoy your cruise!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't recommend trying to claim luggage in JFK and recheck it - the scheduled arrival time of your SEA flight is only 2 hours before - and coming in on a 737/757 or larger plane. It will likely take AT LEAST 30 minutes for your bags to come off the belt, then another 20-30 minutes to train to T1; then you'll have to line up and check your bags with Air France less than 1 hour prior to departure?

I would rely on the airline to connect your bags, but be prepared with your carryon having changes of delicates and necessities just in case.

What's the old saying? Hope for the best but prepare for the worst?

Enjoy your cruise!

Billybob:

I agree with you... I am just going to go with the flow.

Thanks!

Taters

Is it too late to re route? We are flying no stop JFK to BCN on Delta.....seems alot less harried!

Hi:

As I recall, that Delta flight departs JFK at something like 4:30 PM... We arrive at JFK at 4:50 PM, so the Delta flight will not work for us. Thanks for thinking of me, though!

Taters

Archived