Why No Overnight In Warnemunde?

We just did a 10-night Baltic cruise on Azamara with three days in SPB. We did travel to Berlin using a private guide. I am certainly glad that we saw SPB, but would have traded without doubt a day in SPB for a second day in Berlin, leading to the question: Why don't at least some cruise companies offer an overnight in Warnemunde so that a night and a second day can be spent in Berlin?

I suspect I am in a small minority, but for us the cities we enjoyed most, and would readily return to, were Berlin and Stockholm.

Berlin is easily accessible and served by countless budget airlines from all over Europe, therefore it would be very easy to add a few days in Berlin before or after a cruise. This would also avoid the long drive from Warnemünde to Berlin.

SPB, on the other hand, is much more difficult to reach individually, since this would require a Russian visa with everything involved.

For those with relatively easy access to Berlin, I agree. But for those living in North America and Australia, access to Berlin is very different, and for many, a Baltic cruise may be the only time they will have to visit Berlin.

For someone who has never been to Berlin and may not have a chance in the future to visit the city, making the excursion to Berlin from Warnemunde is, I think, an easy choice. Depending on traffic conditions, the drive from the ship to central Berlin should be only two and half hours for those who have booked a private tour that provides transportation.

I readily acknowledge that one could spend a number of days in Berlin, but a day getting a general orientation of the city, a night in town, and a second day focusing on specific museums or other sites would be a great selling point for a Baltic cruise with a Warnemunde overnight itinerary.

I agreed with Alex71 - although I live in Maryland, USA, I can much more easily do a post-cruise trip to Berlin than St Petersburg. My Baltic cruise from Amsterdam in May just has 2 days in St Petersburg, and I wish we had 3. We are lucky to be extending our trip post cruise. Using Bahn.com railroad booking site we are getting a great price for the train from Amsterdam to Berlin.

Like so many on this board who always recommend coming to a port town a day early, I would also recommend staying a day or more post cruise. You can't beat European rail travel for cost and convenience. Many destinations take less time than an airplane would, and the luggage restrictions are a bit less stringent. and the scenery is part of the journey.

for those of us who don't want the 3 hour trip into Berlin from Warnemunde that extra day would be a totally wasted port day.

Friends, thanks for the responses. I don't mean to be argumentative or repetitive, but my response to those who have spent time previously in Berlin and don't want an overnight in Warnemunde would be select one of the many Baltic itineraries that don't have a Warnemunde overnight.

I am not talking about a Warnemunde overnight on every Baltic cruise. How about a few cruises?

This is what I know: On a recent cruise, where our ship was docked in Warnemunde from roughly 6:30 to midnight, and our next port of call was nearby Travemunde, the consensus of our group after returning to the ship in Warnemunde was that, knowing what we then knew, we would have spent the day in Berlin, the night at a hotel in Berlin, and the next morning in Berlin, before catching the ship in Travemunde on day two. With an overnight in Warnemunde, with the ship leaving late at night on the second day, one could expect two full days and a night in Berlin at a hotel.

For those whose schedule do not allow for several days in Europe before and after the cruise--which admittedly is the way to go if one has the extra time--a Warnemunde overnight might make for an attractive itinerary and would certainly appeal to those who do not want to be in a vehicle for five to six hours driving to and from Berlin (in our case, it was five) during a single day.

Edited by Reggiefan

We returned 4 days ago. After our 14 night cruise we spent 3 nights in Berlin. While it is impossible to please everyone what has been posted is that if you have the time it is easy and relatively inexpensive to get to Berlin for a few nights pre or post cruise. IMHO if I am paying for the cruise I don't want to also pay for a hotel night in Berlin while the cruise is still ongoing.

Travelanni will hopefully come in as to berth capacity in Warnemunde, but that might be the issue.

But, even those that have spent some time in Berlin could find something to do in two days there...would it be a carrot, probably only for the well traveled that missed this area of Germany. Or perhaps some would check out NE Germany on a second day after doing the long hike to Berlin.

Just a guess but knowing how cruisers do swat missions in cities, an overnight in Warnemunde would see many who do just a day in Berlin and then a day checking out the area. But it would give those that want to overnight in Berlin that chance.

IMHO though Berlin is a "world city" and needs more than even a few days.

Travelanni will hopefully come in as to berth capacity in Warnemunde, but that might be the issue.

The berth capacity here could be part of the problem as the Cruise Terminal can only take two large ships at a time with any others having to go into the very busy cargo port. The Baltic is the 'in place' at the moment and the cruise business is highly competitive with companies battling for berth spaces as well as under-cutting each others fares and therefore cutting costs wherever possible. I suspect that the berthing fees are higher in Germany (and Stockholm) than in SPB where the tourist trade is heavily subsidsed by the Government.

However, I don't think that is the whole story. Another problem would be that very few people want to pay for a night in an hotel when they have already paid on the ship and more people are opting out of the ship's excursions to Berlin in favour of private excursions so it would not be an economic proposition for the cruise lines. They have absolutely nothing to gain from an extra day. At least four cruise lines (Aida, NCL, MSC and Princess) have seen an opportunity to attract more passengers and now offer the choice to start/finish a cruise in Warnemünde so that passengers can fly in and out of Berlin. This seems to be the perfect solution for those from USA and Australasia, who have to fly into a European city anyway, to spend a few days in Berlin which certainly deserves more than a few hours.

Anni

Berlin is a very popular urban destination in Europe, and you really need several days to see it properly, also visiting Potsdam is a must IMO. I guess most passengers in that itinerary are Europeans so demand is not that high.

I have heard many passengers complain because they had the feeling that Warnemunde was added to the itinerary only because it's a convenient port to attract German passengers. So put two Warnemunde days in the itinerary and most people would just pass.

Also, take into account that many Baltic itineraries are 7 days cruises, because this way the ships alternate them with a Fjords itinerary (so that some people make B2B).

Berlin is a very popular urban destination in Europe, and you really need several days to see it properly, also visiting Potsdam is a must IMO.

Sorry, but I must take issue with a couple of statements here

quote = I guess most passengers in that itinerary are Europeans so demand is not that high.

The vast majority of passengers on Baltic cruises (with the exception of Aida line) are from North America, Britain and Australasia in that order. During the 4 years I was working with cruise ship passengers in Warnemünde we kept records which proved this.

quote = I have heard many passengers complain because they had the feeling that Warnemunde was added to the itinerary only because it's a convenient port to attract German passengers. So put two Warnemunde days in the itinerary and most people would just pass.

Warnemünde is in the itinerary as it is the nearest and most convenient port to Berlin, albeit 200 klms away. Hamburg is about the same distance from Berlin but requires a 6 hour pilotage up the river compared to 20mins for Warnemünde and the berthing fees are higher, economics again. The companies which have this year made Warnemünde a change over port have not done so only to attract more German passengers although this will be a side effect. They noted the number of passengers wishing to spend a few days pre- or post-cruise in Berlin before embarking in Copenhagen or other European ports rather than take the long day trip from Warnemünde and acted accordingly. My information from within the industry indicates that this policy has paid off.

quote = Also, take into account that many Baltic itineraries are 7 days cruises, because this way the ships alternate them with a Fjords itinerary (so that some people make B2B).

True up to a point especially at the beginning and end of the season but many (eg. MSC Poesia, Costa Fortuna, Norwegian Star, AidaAmar) are on regular 7 day schedules in the Baltic while others (eg Royal Princess, Celebrity Constellation) are on slightly longer, although still regular, schedules to give 2 or 3 days in SPB.

The cruise business in the Baltic is 'cut-throat' at the moment and therefore schedules are determined by two things. First, the need by the companies to attract passengers and make a profit on every cruise and second the wishes of the majority of passengers, ie to get value for money and see as many places as possible in the time available.

Not trying to be cynical but these are hard, economic facts. There are companies offering more relaxed cruises with alternative itineraries, in the past a couple did have two days in Warnemünde, but they come at a price.

Anni.

Edited by Travelanni

We have a Baltic cruise next year on Azamara leaving from Copenhagen. Instead of spending 6 hours intransit to and from ship to Berlin we have opted to fly into Berlin precruise and explore the city. Then we will take one of the economical flights Berlin to Copenhagen. DH refuses to spend 6 hours on bus/train coming and going!! I have to agree.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

we will be on a Baltic cruise next Summer with Princess, and they have embarkation in Warnemunde or Copenhagen, we choosed the Warnemunde so we can fly into Berlin a few days before and visit all we want to see and then take a train to Warnemuende to catch the ship and after the cruise we will rent a car in Warnemuende and spend a few days in Germany, you just have to do some research and you will not have to limit yourself. I always try to look at all options and then deceide what I would like to do.

Thanks to all for your opinions.

Admittedly, the ideal solution is to visit Berlin for several days before or after the cruise. But for those in North America who are still working and have limited vacation time, visiting Berlin means a non-cruise land vacation.

Princess does have cruises beginning or ending in Warnemunde, and that would be an option.

For me, a hotel room for one night is not a big factor--there are Med cruises that allow for an overnight in Florence. But from the opinions above, it seems that a Warnemunde overnight would have limited appeal.

We are also on the Quest 8/1/15 and trying to determine the best way to get from Travemunde to Berlin on Sunday 8/2 and then from Berlin to Wismar the next afternoon. It looks like getting to/from train stations might be time consuming and I'm not sure about picking up a car on Sunday. Does Azamara offer shuttles at any ports on this itinerary? I'll check this forum again but anyone with a suggestion can email me ckbarrett @ sbcglobal.net (spaces are not needed). Thanks!

Several options.

1. If you can put together a small group and are booking a private guide in Berlin, the guide may be able to arrange car transportation on both days, though lodging for the driver will be part of the pricing.

2. Contact private drivers such as Taxi Harry for their thoughts.

3. Train both ways. Your ship on day two leaves Wismar at 23:59 so you can have a full day in Berlin on day two. Train from Travemunde to Berlin is probably 4 hours with train changes in Lubeck and Hamburg. The train from Berlin to Wismar looks to be about 3 hours.

4. Train to Berlin and book seats on an Azamara transportation-only excursion for the return to Wismar. On our recent cruise, Azamara offered an excursion that consisted of only land transportation to and from Berlin. We stopped in Warnemunde. Day two was Travemunde, but the ship was leaving at 19:00.

Wow, as a European myself I would not even consider going on a daytrip to Berlin from Warnemünde (or a daytrip to Paris from one of the French Ports).

As there is much to see and do around Warnemünde itself. But someone from North Africa would probably not think of going to Kairo to see the pyramids from Alexandria for just one day as my parents did on one of their cruises to Egypt, some years ago.

It's just a different kind of mind to drive such a long distance.

I would also not think of a daytrip from Miami to Key West (about the same distance as Warnemünde to Berlin) but as someone who is used to drive such distances every week or so it might be quite normal.

Onxy, how many times have you been to Berlin? And how long does it take, and how much does it cost, to fly from Zurich to Berlin?

For many in North America, there may not be time before or after a cruise to spend several days in Berlin, and the Warnemunde port of call on a Baltic cruise may be the only chance they will ever have to see Berlin. Plus, I know people who went to Berlin on a cruise excursion and, only after seeing and finding so fascinating the city on that excursion, decided to return at a later date.

Each person has to make his own decision as to whether six or seven hours in Berlin with the long drive is better than not seeing the city at all. I don't doubt that there are things to see and do around Warnemunde, but in all candor the Mecklenburg area is not high on the list of areas with top tourist attractions in Germany. On the other hand, Berlin is a great European capital that arguably has been more affected by the history of the last 100 years than any other European city and that has an energy that is immediately felt.

On our recent trip, our port of call after Warnemunde was Travemunde. Lubeck was only a short train ride away. We found Lubeck interesting, and in retrospect we probably wish we had spent more time in Travemunde because of a sailing festival taking place and the beaches. But that day in Travemunde and Lubeck, which we enjoyed, simply did not compare to our Berlin excursion the day before.

Edited by Reggiefan

Onxy, how many times have you been to Berlin? And how long does it take, and how much does it cost, to fly from Zurich to Berlin?

For many in North America, there may not be time before or after a cruise to spend several days in Berlin, and the Warnemunde port of call on a Baltic cruise may be the only chance they will ever have to see Berlin. Plus, I know people who went to Berlin on a cruise excursion and, only after seeing and finding so fascinating the city on that excursion, decided to return at a later date.

Each person has to make his own decision as to whether six or seven hours in Berlin with the long drive is better than not seeing the city at all. I don't doubt that there are things to see and do around Warnemunde, but in all candor the Mecklenburg area is not high on the list of areas with top tourist attractions in Germany. On the other land, Berlin is a great European capital that arguably has been more affected by the history of the last 100 years than any other European city and that has an energy that is immediately felt.

On our recent trip, our port of call after Warnemunde was Travemunde. Lubeck was only a short train ride away. We found Lubeck interesting, and in retrospect we probably wish we had spent more time in Travemunde because of a sailing festival taking place and the beaches. But that day in Travemunde, which we enjoyed, simply did not compare to our Berlin excursion the day before.

For many in North America, there may not be time before or after a cruise to spend several days in Berlin

Sometimes I think the USA needs a new revolution, but this time in your working/health/pensioners-department.

I don't know how long each week and until which age you have to work, but I know that you have very limited vacations, if any and in my eyes that's a shame.

We (in Switzerland) work in average 42 hours a week until 65 years of age, but we have in average at least 4 (and up to 6 weeks, depending on the age) vacation each year and we never have to worry that our job will be taken when we get back from vacation.

We have more time....

That's the reason we in Europe would not think of going on a daytrip to some of the greatest cities in the World, even if they are fare off your way. There is always time to see it on another trip, with more time.

Onxy, thanks for the response. As the expression goes, it is what it is.

There are probably a number of people on these forums living in the US who managed to retire early for several possible reasons or who intend to retire in their mid-60s.

But like others on these forums who are still working, the amount of vacation time I take is far less than what you describe. And for many, there is not only the issue of how much vacation time we can technically take, but the issue of how much vacation time we can as a practical matter take, whether the reasons be work load or peer presure.

I technically have four weeks of vacation each year. But I take every three years or so two weeks of vacation, and most years I take one week. Part of it is the nature of my work and productivity demands. Overall, I have been blessed to do what I do and in no way am complaining. But except for teachers, most in the US do not have anywhere close to the vacation time that many in Europe enjoy.